Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Getting to Bonaire Via Curacao

Annapolis, Maryland and Santa Barbara, Bonaire

My wife bought them from eMed and we tested online from our house in Bonaire. It was a video chat so the proctor could watch the whole thing. She started by verifying the the packaging was unopened and she took the serial number for the test. She also confirmed our identity and checked our ID. Then she watched as we administered the test. Then we could go do whatever while we waited the 15 minutes. Once the time was up the proctor came back on and watched as we opened the test and revealed the results. After the test we got an email within minutes with a certification. It is also visible on our phones via the Navica App. The only criticism I had was the proctors sound as if they are in India and you have to listen very closely as their accents were pretty heavy.
    owner - Casa Bunita Bista

tursiops is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by michaeto View Post
    My wife bought them from eMed and we tested online from our house in Bonaire. It was a video chat so the proctor could watch the whole thing. She started by verifying the the packaging was unopened and she took the serial number for the test. She also confirmed our identity and checked our ID. Then she watched as we administered the test. Then we could go do whatever while we waited the 15 minutes. Once the time was up the proctor came back on and watched as we opened the test and revealed the results. After the test we got an email within minutes with a certification. It is also visible on our phones via the Navica App. The only criticism I had was the proctors sound as if they are in India and you have to listen very closely as their accents were pretty heavy.
    Excellent information!
    The only open question now is whether the test need to be purchased from eMed or can be purchased locally.
    From eMed they come in a packet of 6 single tests for $150, plus shipping ($14.51, FedEx) and tax ($9.00 in Virginia), for approx $29 per test.
    EMed says (in a FAQ under Support) you can buy the tests at neighbor pharmacies: "select neighborhood pharmacies have them available for purchase, be sure to ask your pharmacist for the test kit with “Home Test” on the label."
    But I can't find any that say "home test." CVS and Walgreens have them in boxes of two tests, for about $25, but they are labeled "self test," not "home test."
    Mel Briscoe, Alexandria, Virginia

Sams Club in Annapolis has the two pack for $19.88.

Sams Club in Annapolis has the two pack for $19.88.
    What isn't clear to me is if the two-pack version (called "self test", not "home test") works with the eMed system.

Quote Originally Posted by tursiops View Post
    What isn't clear to me is if the two-pack version (called "self test", not "home test") works with the eMed system.

I think the test is the same but the self test doesn't work with eMed. Without the 3rd party "administering" I doubt Bonaire would accept it. I would guess the fear would be someone would fake it to gain entry.

I think the test is the same but the self test doesn't work with eMed. Without the 3rd party "administering" I doubt Bonaire would accept it. I would guess the fear would be someone would fake it to gain entry.
    I agree, but the issue is really about getting back into the US, and the airlines clearly are not accepting "home tests." Bonaire said months ago they would not accept "home tests" for entry.
    The eMed proctoring is a clever way around all this. It is no longer a home test in the sense of what is not allowed.

I just spoke to the Abbott Labs lady about the BinaxNOW tests. You MUST have the one labeled "Home Test" in order to use the eMed system and the Navica app and get a report that airlines will accept. She said eMed sells a two-test pack, not just the 6-test pack. However, the eMed website doesn't seem to know that! Yet.

Also, she said only United for sure accepts the BinaxNOW Home Test through eMed in order to enter the US on their flights.
    She would not comment on Delta or American, said I'd have to contact them directly.

On March 18th we returned on American after using the BinaxNow/ Navica test. Nobody questioned it.

Quote Originally Posted by tursiops View Post
    I just spoke to the Abbott Labs lady about the BinaxNOW tests. You MUST have the one labeled "Home Test" in order to use the eMed system and the Navica app and get a report that airlines will accept. She said eMed sells a two-test pack, not just the 6-test pack. However, the eMed website doesn't seem to know that! Yet.

Also, she said only United for sure accepts the BinaxNOW Home Test through eMed in order to enter the US on their flights.
    She would not comment on Delta or American, said I'd have to contact them directly.

On March 18th we returned on American after using the BinaxNow/ Navica test. Nobody questioned it.
    Thanks. Good to know. Delta says it depends on the country from which you are leaving to enter the US. Abbot says it depends on the airline. Hmmm.

We arrived in Bonaire last evening (last visit November 2020, and February/March 2020). Hot, sunny & windy today.

We flew United from Newark to Aruba - filled out the Aruba entry form the night before online, same day transfer, no covid test apparently required for the Aruba leg. I had printed out our EZ Air boarding passes in advance.

2+hr layover in Aruba - hung out at the outdoor cafe/bar between the terminals in Aruba - I like the beef quesadilla there - EZ Air check in counter opened at 4PM for a 6PM flight (wow - professional) - sorted things out, checked in again, checked bags, arranged for a wheelchair for my 87yo mother-in-law who is tagging along - she can't wait to see all her facebook friends from her first mass at St. Bernards in Kralendijk 4 years ago (she comes with us about one visit a year but missed all of 2020).

EZ Air had a mechanical issue on another plane with required us to de-plane our flight in Curacao, 87yo mother-in-law and all, so our plane could undergo a daily maintenance check out of normal sequence - minor hassle - maybe a 20 min delay (Remember the Insult Air delays - I spent 2 nights in Curacao once I was not prepared for). Arrived on time at 7:30PM in Bonaire - no issues - I had everyone's Health declaration filled out and printed.

We all had taken a rapid test the day before (Thursday for a Friday arrival), could not tell you which brand test we took but document we provided in Bonaire said: Rapid Antigen COVID-19 TEST RESULTS FOR * NAME and that "The test has been performed by FDA approved under EAU category, Rapid detection of SARS-CoV-2 Antigen: Negative (-).

Two days earlier on Tuesday for the Friday flight, we did a PCR test, again no brand mentioned but Wednesday night our results arrived by email: The result of your SARS CoV2 RNA (COVID 19), Qualitative NAAT Nasal Swab Test was: Negative.

Health paperwork check at Bonaire was 2-3 minuets - they just made sure names on tests matched passports.

We have two different returns booked - EZ Air Friday June 11th with two nights in Aruba and a flight home Sunday & Delta via Atlanta to Newark on Saturday June 12th.

I have my fingers crossed that Delta will resume Bonaire flights in June as scheduled - American canceled their May and June flights as far as I can tell. If Delta resumes flights June 5th, I'll cancel my EZ Air & United return and fly via Atlanta.