Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Getting to Bonaire Via Curacao

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

This company is situated at Curacao airport. You could try to contact them to be sure you have enough time for the test

https://covid19pcrtestcuracao.com/ords/f?p=300:102

{edit}
    Look what I found :-)

https://www.abcarrental.com/blog/how...o-during-covid

agd - Thanks for the info.

What continues to baffle me is why Bonaire allows US passengers to come via Curacao but not direct. Does anyone have any insight to this?

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Annapolis, Maryland and Santa Barbara, Bonaire

Quote Originally Posted by SkyQueen View Post
    agd - Thanks for the info.

What continues to baffle me is why Bonaire allows US passengers to come via Curacao but not direct. Does anyone have any insight to this?

Its simple....Bonaire requires you to have had an Antigen test within 4 hours of departure of the flight to Bonaire. Atlanta and Miami don't have the ability to test you within 4 hours of their departures. For instance, the Delta flight leaves at 10am. you would have to be tested no sooner than 6am. Most of the connecting flights arrive in Atlanta 1-2 hours prior to the departure to Bonaire. Even if Atlanta Hartsfield offered the testing it would be a struggle to get all of the connecting flights tested and checked in. In addition, is there feasibility to offering this service on a large scale basis? How many other destinations require the Antigen test? Delta would have to just set up a testing site for the Bonaire flights. I would guess at least 100 people connecting to Bonaire arrive on one of the connecting flights that arrive in Atlanta in that last 1-2 hours before departure. It would be a struggle to get them tested and boarded. Essentially they would be forcing people to arrive the night before, or very early in the morning in order to catch the flight. That may be what they are planning. My flight to Atlanta in July was moved up and we arrive in Atlanta at 7:17am, nearly an hour earlier. In addition they pushed back the departure to 10am from 9:45am, thus adding over an hour to our layover at Hartsfield. If you fail you most assuredly wouldn't be allowed to board. You can get the test in Curacao and if you fail you are quarantined there. This way Bonaire avoids having to quarantine those who test positive. Either way, I think many people would be reluctant to book these flights with the possibility they may get stranded in Atlanta or Curacao. FYI - When we returned in January we brought the at home test from Abbott Labs and used it instead on getting tested in Bonaire or Curacao. It was fine except the call center must be based in India and the communication was less than ideal.
    owner - Casa Bunita Bista

tursiops is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by michaeto View Post
    Its simple....Bonaire requires you to have had an Antigen test within 4 hours of departure of the flight to Bonaire.
    This is not correct; for quite some time the requirement has been 24h, not 4h.
    Mel Briscoe, Alexandria, Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by tursiops View Post
    This is not correct; for quite some time the requirement has been 24h, not 4h.
    Not exactly correct Mel. There are two options. The NAAT test can be taken within 24 hours of departure, which is hard to do in the US. That is why most people fly to Curacao after getting a PCR here with 72hrs and a Antigen test in Curacao within 4 hours of departure.

Quote Originally Posted by michaeto View Post
    Not exactly correct Mel. There are two options. The NAAT test can be taken within 24 hours of departure, which is hard to do in the US. That is why most people fly to Curacao after getting a PCR here with 72hrs and a Antigen test in Curacao within 4 hours of departure.
    You are still wrong. Read the rules. The 4h thing is long gone.

From the government web site:
    1. A negative PCR or NAAT test result, taken max. 24 hours before departure.
    or
    2. A negative PCR test result, taken max. 72 hours before arrival, and a negative Antigen test result taken max. 24 hours before departure.

The 24h before departure NAAT test is easily available at many sites in the US, with an approximately 20-30 minute report-out. It is made by Abbott Labs, and is called "ID NOW." For example, I can get it here in DC on Friday afternoon, and fly (if there were flights) to Bonaire on Saturday.

tholland is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

This looks like good up to date info as of early May 2021, however I emailed American Airlines and asked if the Abbott labs 'IDNOW' test was accepted by BON and American Air for travel and they wrote back saying that "IDNOW" is not 'on their list' of approved tests. I'm guessing whoever sent that does not know that IDNOW is classified as an 'NAAT' test (nucleic acid amplification test)

Quote Originally Posted by tursiops View Post
    You are still wrong. Read the rules. The 4h thing is long gone.

From the government web site:
    1. A negative PCR or NAAT test result, taken max. 24 hours before departure.
    or
    2. A negative PCR test result, taken max. 72 hours before arrival, and a negative Antigen test result taken max. 24 hours before departure.

The 24h before departure NAAT test is easily available at many sites in the US, with an approximately 20-30 minute report-out. It is made by Abbott Labs, and is called "ID NOW." For example, I can get it here in DC on Friday afternoon, and fly (if there were flights) to Bonaire on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by tholland View Post
    This looks like good up to date info as of early May 2021, however I emailed American Airlines and asked if the Abbott labs 'IDNOW' test was accepted by BON and American Air for travel and they wrote back saying that "IDNOW" is not 'on their list' of approved tests. I'm guessing whoever sent that does not know that IDNOW is classified as an 'NAAT' test (nucleic acid amplification test)
    The name of the test is ID NOW, not IDNOW. Perhaps that makes a difference?
    My trust in American Airlines is minimal, anyway. Go to the Facebook site https://www.facebook.com/groups/239197621144184/ and you'll find many folks have used the ID NOW test to get to Curacao on AA. since no one has flown AA recently to Bonaire, you wonder what info AA is using?

This is a moot point now. With testing occurring at Flamingo on arrival, the Delta and AA flights starting June 5th should fly as scheduled. I would hold off for 3 weeks amd wait for these direct flights. It saves the expense of flying Divi or EZ Air, lessens the baggage restrictions, and saves about a day of your time on Bonaire. When we went in March I figured we wasted a day flying through Curacao. When you consider you arrive in early afternoon and depart mid afternoon on Delta versus arriving early evening and departing early/mid morning via Curacao, you kind of lose a day. Life is too short to waste a day of my Bonaire time. You still have to get a PCR/NAAT test prior to departure and gamble on not getting a false positive on arrival. We bringBinaxNow at home tests for our return trip testing. They take 15 minutes and you do it over the Internet and then they email you a certificate so you can board the plane.