Thread: Income tax and Social Insurance consequences with Bonaire residency with US wages

Default Income tax and Social Insurance consequences with Bonaire residency with US wages

Hello all,

This is my first post here. My fiancť and I have been exploring moving to Bonaire for over 2 years now. She is Dutch and I am American. I work a 15 day on/ off schedule as a pilot in the states. We were originally going to move down a year and a half ago, but we had some unexpected changes that resulted in postponing our move. We are now planning to move down as soon as practical again. With this, double taxation is one of the concerns I havenít quite figured out yet.

I understand there is a tax decree for double taxation of certain income taxed in the states. Does this apply to wages earned as well? Also, I read another post written a few years ago that said Social Insurance premiums are due up to $29000ish. Would this be due, in addition to my US social security? Lastly, can you still contribute to a US 401k? I have written the belastingdienst but have not received a reply yet.

Thanks for any clarification anyone has on this.

Regards,

Brad

I should add that we will be getting a Sedula, and I have spoken with immigration. It is possible with our situation.

US / Bonaire tax guy. American living in Bonaire.
    Check out his web page.
    zavontax.com
    Never used him but maybe others can chime in.

MelE is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Default Bruce Zavon is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by KonaGecko View Post
    US / Bonaire tax guy. American living in Bonaire.
    Check out his web page.
    zavontax.com
    Never used him but maybe others can chime in.

My husband and i are from the States and we contacted Bruce even before we moved here last year. He knows all the in and outs. Super nice guy as well.
    Last edited by MelE; 01-12-2021 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Duplicate info

Use Bruce Zavon. As a long time resident with complicated taxes, I can strongly recommend Bruce for his tax expertise, and he's a nice guy also!

Also, don't listen to the so called "local experts" on things like this, they often dont know the correct answer. Call or email Bruce, he's the expert!
    Bob Bartikoski
    Owner RE/MAX Paradise Homes
    +599-786-7362
    EMail: bob@bonairehomes.com

Thanks for the recommendation everyone. Iíve looked at his site a lot but this particular issue is definitely not cookie cutter. I look forward to getting down there soon again! I will get in touch with him.

best regards,

brad