Thread: Travel Shut Down

Default Travel Shut Down

Well we arrived yesterday and as we landed we found out that travel from Europe was shut down. I have two questions for those affected. We you contacted by your airline to let you know that you needed to leave Bonaire? Was there any support to get you back to your home.

The other thing I'd like to know, and I don't just want opinions, is there any news of shutting down travel to and from the USA? If so what time frames are we looking at and what actions can and should we take to make sure we don't get left stranded. Thank you very much
    my email is WetWillie1948@aol.com

All my best

tursiops is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

No news on BON-US travel.
    I won't give you my opinion.
    Mel Briscoe, Alexandria, Virginia

I don't mind opinions.... and I would understand if you support this.... I imagine I would, I think it's smart....

tursiops is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Well, you said you didn't want opinions!
    Actually, it has moved further than that...as of a 1pm announcement that I cannot yet find.
    The pre-announcement story is here: http://bes-reporter.com/index.php/20...mingo-airport/
    Mel Briscoe, Alexandria, Virginia

Kate B is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by tursiops View Post
    Well, you said you didn't want opinions!
    Actually, it has moved further than that...as of a 1pm announcement that I cannot yet find.
    The pre-announcement story is here: http://bes-reporter.com/index.php/20...mingo-airport/
    Hi Mel, thanks for the link. The Dutch government has confirmed (in writing on a Dutch news site a colleague translated for me) that all North American flights to Bonaire have ceased as of 1:30 PM today. There was an American airlines flight from Miami that did land at the airport, it was en route during the announcement.

When they shut down the European flights into Bonaire, they still flew in planes to take European tourists who were on the island home. I haven't see anything yet on the plan for North American tourists who are here on the island now, but I'm sure their airlines will contact them.
    Last edited by Kate B; 03-16-2020 at 03:47 PM.
    Kate Butler
    "Ask Kate" real estate columnist for the Bonaire Reporter
    Real Estate Agent, RE/MAX Paradise Homes, Bonaire

Yes thanks for the information. It was just a matter of time I guess. Canada has also just shut all its borders today to everyone but Canadian and US citizens. We were planning on coming back down in a couple of weeks, but alas it looks like that will not happen. We have a personal issue, that we are trying to deal with, we have a big shipment due in Bonaire on April 14th from Europe, a new sailboat. We now have to go and try to figure out what the heck to do with it. Anyhow, I guess that is a very-very small problem compared to the thousands of folks who are, or will become sick with the virus around the world

Hopefully, the virus remains away from Bonaire ❤️

Stay Safe
    S&E Tanton