Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DiveSergeant 2016

OK, today we loaded yesterday's and today's pics. Here are some from yesterday's dives at Tolo and Karpata...

We'll start with a juvenile angelfish...Reminds me of myself, kind of juvenile-ish but, ahem, truly an angel.....

...and here is a generic shot of sponges on the coral reef. No, sorry, not the coral reefers, just the reef, although we met a dive master who had obviously been enjoying both kinds of reef...

...and who can resist a nice colorful lionfish shot. I'd like to shoot them with something else, but for the time being, here's a pixel shot and not a fish taco shot...

I love drums. Once I went to a Native American Pow Wow and was blown away by the talent. And the sheer volume. But here's a more serene drum. Ain't he got a cute mug on him?

Speaking of beating drums, man I love this song..

And here's some tiny gobe/blenny-type feller hanging out on some coral...

What would this be worth without a nice shot of a flamingo tongue...?

I like the little critters and finding them tucked under their little outcroppings. Here's an arrow shrimp...

Not wanting to offend any non-Christians, we'll have to call this a secular, non-denominational tree worm named after a religious holiday roughly coinciding with, but slightly preceding. the end of the Gregorian calendar year..... OK, screw it, it is a Christmas tree worm, and if you don't like it, bug off!

We've been seeing tons of scorpion fish, just like this surly looking bloke...

All right sports fans. This exhausts this lot of pictures. Special thanks to Mrs DS for her photo editing skills and patience.

I might get ambitious tonight and type today's report and post it with some pictures. Or maybe I won't... We'll see.

Ciao for now.

4March- we headed south to dive. First up was Jeannie’s Glory. Wonderful dive, fairly easy entry and exit, great life.Second dive was The Rock. We did it last trip and liked it, so we went back. Entry and exit is stupid easy, critters were abundant and the dive was great.

As with most dives here, the safety stop is spent on a slow, leisurely swim back to shore without the mind-numbing hanging suspended beneath a boat. Not that hanging under a boat isn’t productive. I can let my mind wander and ponder life’s mysteries: Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways? Will the Detroit Lions ever really be good again? And just what in the hell is a “hubcap diamond star halo”.

After the dives, we headed back almost to the condo, then doubled back to AB CarRental. The truck’s brakes were squealing horribly and smoke was coming from under the hood. Neither seemed satisfactory to us, so back it went. It was a five minute swap with no questions asked. We could not have been more pleased.

Finally back at home base, Mrs DS edited the pics from today and yesterday while I went to supermarket row to rustle up some groceries.We ate breakfast in the condo and snacked a lunch between dives. I didn’t feel like cooking, so we strolled down the road along the waterfront into the main town area. We ended up at Karel’s where a live band was sounding damn good. Burgers called to both of us. And they were very good. As were Mrs DS’s margaritas and my mudslides.

Without further rambling verbage, here are some pics….. And this is the part of the show where audience participation is encouraged. Please feel free to help with ID on any pictures. I might be wrong. Happened before. Probably happen again....

A spotted cleaner shrimp hanging out on the local neighborhood anemone...

A planform view of same...showing to good effect the distinctive frown face on its back....

An orange spongy thing...

Some squat anemone shrimp... These little fellers are about 1/2 inch long. And they're cute...

A 'cuda at a cleaning station...

Squidage! I got some great video, too. Gotta figure out how to post it...

We saw some more of Wes Pederson's cleaner shrimp crew hard at work.... here is Latitia, known all over the Caribbean for her attention to detail...

These Fairy Basslets are a pain to get good shots of. I think they are the ADHD fish of the reef. Here's a head-on view as he prepared to attack!

Finally, we'll wrap up with a pretty seascape....

Hope you all enjoyed, good night.
    Last edited by DiveSergeant; 03-04-2016 at 11:10 PM.

Great Trip report so far DS, I think you must have a lil' bit of Brit blood in you to have such a good sense of humour

a Big Dankeschön to Mrs DS for the awesome photo processing :bless:

always happy to help with the Formatting errors that the Forum software causes when uploading docs that have been pre-written in Word etc. Users only have 10 mins after posting to edit their own posts.
    PRA & ET Inc
    Proof Readers Anonymous & Extreme Testers

Enjoying your reports DS - what's the water temp running?

Quote Originally Posted by ModRoy View Post
    Great Trip report so far DS, I think you must have a lil' bit of Brit blood in you to have such a good sense of humour
    Well, I did watch a lot of Monty Python.......

Quote Originally Posted by DWJ View Post
    Enjoying your reports DS - what's the water temp running?
    Our computers seem to run a bit high. I've seen 84 for goodness sake!

Realistically, I think 79 or 80, give or take a degree or two. We're diving in board shorts and rash guards, no neoprene, and are perfectly comfy on hour long dives.

And to think the folks back home are shoveling snow, poor bastards!

5 March-

Imagine this. We ate breakfast in the condo and then went diving. Living on the edge, that’s us.

Seriously, a scrambled egg b’fast with cheese and bacon bits mixed in, and an English muffin and jam on the side, and we’re ready to go. Well, throw in a Mountain Dew, and then we’re ready to go. I don’t know if I mentioned the English muffins before on BT. Well, here goes. They advertise “fork split”. Right. Split this with a fork, dang-it. Damn Brits probably are laughing their butts off. “Roit then, damn them Yanks anyway. ‘Bout time we got them back for the whole Declaration of Independence thing.” Sheesh, get over it already! In the end, with effective wielding of a sharp knife, the muffins capitulated and into the toaster they went. The fork can stay in the drawer.

So, we prevailed with the muffins and headed north to Andrea II. Another great dive with numerous photos taken, some to which you will be soon subjected.

We ate our packed snack and headed to Witch’s Hut / Weber’s Joy. Some Minnesotans we met at Andrea II recommended it as a being a pretty good dive der, eh. So up we went.

Entry / exit wasn’t bad. There’s really not much to it, other than an incline of loose coral rubble to walk up on exit. See later for pics from here also.

We stopped at 'Zhong something' grocery store north of the DFB Hamlet Oasis shop. Mrs DS spotted the Holy Grail, Trivento Sweet Malbec wine. First tried it on Grand Cayman, can’t find it stateside, and here it was. Dilemma time. Not much money in our pocket, a box of cherry pop-tarts in one hand and the sweet Malbec in the other hand. Something had to give. Let me take another quick sip and give you time to suss out what choice got made.

Once back at the condo, Mrs DS got to work editing pics and extracting stills from some videos. I dragged my tired fanny down to It Rains Fishes where, glory be, they had some fresh fish. Dinner in the condo was a salad, and baked wahoo on a bed of, ummm, let me copy from the bag here… “rijst en volkoren granen”. Looked like rice pilaf.

Condo comments-
    There is a rinse tank at the edge of the lot and a lockable storage shed behind where the parking is. Perfect for divegear, unless someone blocks the door with their car bumper. Yep. Happened tous. It isn’t rocket science, people. Leave enough room for the doors to open on the sheds. Not a big deal, but obviously not a parking job by a Mensa member. I call people like that slinky people; not really all that bad, but still it would make you smile to push them down the stairs. And relax all you who are wound too tight. I jest. Mostly...

So, here are some pics…….

Hamlet- we found this guy at Witch's Hut so I really wanted to throw in "Double, double toil and trouble..." but that, alas, is Macbeth. And you are thinking that I yak too much to be funny and someone should tell me that brevity is the soul of wit......

Here's a parrot. And no, for you in the audience looking perplexed, It is not underwater. Get a grip, man!

Hey, sand diver dude, like, that isn't sand you're on.... the whole camouflage thing??? It ain't working out for you there...

Mrs DS spotted a white spotted filefish..

A cool purple spongy thing...

A barrel-type sponge with its resident brittle star and little hermit crab friend...

At the end of the dive we were floundering around in the shallows, as was this guy...

A seascape shot. Another grueling day on Bonaire...

I got a nice video of this feller slithering along the reef hunting. Mrs DS pulled out this shot from the video...

In the shallows we found this rather worn looking moon jelly...

I got a quick 'target of opportunity' drive-by video of the first ray we've seen this trip. Again, the wife extracted this shot...

All right sports fans. Enough for now. I'm gonna either figure out how to upload videos, or say chuck-it and go to bed with a hilarious Tim Dorsey book.

As always, feel free to help with critter ID and I hope you enjoyed...

Last edited by DiveSergeant; 03-05-2016 at 09:11 PM.

Really enjoying your trip report DS! I have gotten lazy and didn't do one for our trip in January...it was a fabulous trip though! Sounds like yours is too!! Keep it coming and love your pictures!

Julia is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Thanks for the report DS. I laughed out loud at the 'slinky people', this has now joined our family sayings.

Schoude and Julia,

Glad you're liking the report. I do have a bit of fun with them, if you hadn't noticed! I can't remember we
    here I first heard about slinky people, but remember that I also laughed.

Cheers!