Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zika Virus on Bonaire

Default Zika Virus on Bonaire

Good Mornin Everybody. I was watching the tv yesterday and they were saying that the virus has been identified on Aruba and Bonaire. Anyone hear on Bonaire if it has started?

Hi Bob, there is one confirmed case that I have heard about.

What are the suggestions to avoid. I am bringing DEET, but wonder if there are other things to do????

Hi, I recommend you begin taking a high-potency Vitamin B Complex about two weeks before your trip, and continue it during your trip. There is one of the elements in the range of B vitamins that makes you "smelly" to mosquitos, although there is no odor for humans. When I don't take mine, I get bit, when I start it again, after about four days, the mosquitos may hover, but they don't land on me. So that is step one. Step two is to do some research for "diy (do-it-yourself) mosquito repellent" and find a recipe you like. These are basically made using water (or witch hazel, which is great for the skin) and some essential oil drops of fragrances which mosquitos don't like. It works like a charm, and you're not putting chemicals on your skin for your body to absorb. You do have to reapply more often, because once the fragrance goes away, so does the protection. But I find that the combination of these two works wonderfully, at least for me. I use cypress, citronella, and eucalyptus in my recipe. If you have the small bottles of essential oils, you can pack them in your checked bag, and mix it up with some water once you are here. Be sure to bring an empty spray bottle that you can use while here.

wwguy is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by WetWillie View Post
    What are the suggestions to avoid. I am bringing DEET, but wonder if there are other things to do????
    There are quite a few things additional you can do to reduce the likelihood that you'll be bitten:
    - Only stay in screened accommodations. Keep unscreened doors and windows closed, and insist that housekeeping etc. do the same.
    - Stay on higher floors when possible. Mosquitos are more prevalent nearer the ground.
    - Stay in drier and/or windier locations whenever possible. Hillier terrain, such as found in Sabadeco Terrace or Santa Barbara, offers fewer opportunities for mosquitos to breed and feed.
    - Pick up one of those inexpensive tennis racket style bug zappers at a local store on Bonaire. The better accommodations should already have them for you.
    - Wear long pants and long-sleeved shirts whenever you can.
    - Consider sleeping under a mosquito net. Many Bonairean accommodations already have ceiling hooks for them.
    - Apply repellent before being bitten.

I'm inevitably bitten a few times every trip. Thankfully it almost always occurs during sleep, which I can tell from the bite locations. I say "thankfully" because the mosquito species that carries zika, chikungunya, and dengue usually only feeds during daytime hours. The nighttime feeders are usually just regular vampires. We "sweep" the bedroom with the rechargeable tennis racket zapper every evening before bed and usually zap a few mosquitos hiding in dark spaces under furniture, on curtains, and on the walls or ceiling.

All of the above are good advice. A few years ago two members of our group came down with dengue in Bonaire. Since that time we have taken additional precautions. I know that some people are adverse to using deet and I know it can melt plastic, but I think the risk/reward of applying deet before landing at the airport is worth it. Amazon sells deet wipes that are easy to carry on the plane and I have found that the airport with the immigration line, and baggage area are great places to get your first bite. Since it is also a high population area the risk is probably greater here then in less populated areas. I am also a fan of treated clothes, Sawer makes a product with Permethrin that is do it yourself on your own clothes, it lasts for several washings, it is still a good idea to apply some repellant to exposed skin but this stuff works great. Alternately ex-officio makes a "bugs away" line of clothing, which has the same effect and lasts for more washings.

diverdan1 is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

We have had good luck with Natrapel, it is DEET free and won't hurt your dive gear. They make wipes as well we use on the plane before exiting.
    http://www.amazon.com/Natrapel-hour-.../dp/B002SP75D0
    We usually buy it at REI.

Description: It's about time - a DEET-free insect repellent that really works! Natrapel 8-hour provides 8+ hours of protection from biting insects and ticks. This effective protection is due to its CDC-recommended 20% Picaridin formula. Picaridin is the only formula that consistently shows equal or better performance than DEET in independent, clinical tests. Even better, Natrapel 8-hour is completely safe on gear and will not melt jackets, fishing line, and other synthetic materials. The 6 oz. continuous spray bottle provides effortless, even application.

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

No one I know living on Bonaire, as I do, does anything out of the ordinary about zika ... same mosquito (Aedes aegypti) transmits zika that transmits dengue or chikingunya ... just normal precautions (use mosquito repellent if going to a mosquito area) ... we don't even talk about it here
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

Quote Originally Posted by susan View Post
    and you're not putting chemicals on your skin for your body to absorb.
    Water, witch hazel, essential oils are all chemicals. Everything that is matter is a chemical. Solids, gasses, liquids, and plasmas, all chemicals. Without putting chemicals on and in our bodies we would die quickly. Of course our bodies are also combinations of lots of chemicals. So, I wouldn't be concerned with putting chemicals on my skin, the only question is which chemicals.

I'm actually on the island (as a newbie) so does anyone know if I can buy Natrapel here? If so, which outlets stock it?
    Thanks