Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Atlanta customs/immigration times

Default Atlanta customs/immigration times

I'm starting to look at flights for February or March of next year. United insists we return through Newark which is not appealing.

Delta shows a return flight through Atlanta with about 2 hours to get through customs, immigration and security. Is this too tight a time frame? It would be in Houston, but we have not ever been through Atlanta.

Thanks for any thoughts and/or advice.

Bea

Delta shows a return flight through Atlanta with about 2 hours to get through customs, immigration and security. Is this too tight a time frame? It would be in Houston, but we have not ever been through Atlanta

You will be fine in Atlanta with a 2 hour window. Do you have Global Entry? If you do its even faster. We travel delta at least 3 times a year to bonaire, never had any trouble with time getting through customs, immigration and security. Have fun on your trip.

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

What Dee said ... 2 hours is plenty in Atlanta
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

+2 for Global Entry

I had a three hour layover in Atlanta last weekend on the Delta flight and made it through customs and to my departing terminal in about two hours. I had an hour left to spare so my family ate at Café Intermezzo, which I thought was much better than average for airport restaurants.

I think the main concerns will be how many international flights are arriving at the same time in Atlanta and whether the Bonaire flight departs on time.

Thanks all. Maybe it is time to explore a new airport.

I think the main concerns will be how many international flights are arriving at the same time in Atlanta and whether the Bonaire flight departs on time.
    Very true in Charlotte too. Probably true in all airports.

Thanks - Bea

Quote Originally Posted by jonz View Post
    Thanks all. Maybe it is time to explore a new airport.
    You will be fine arriving in Atlanta from Bonaire - no need to hunt a new airport. The flights are usually on time from Bonaire and if
    it takes off a bit late, I think it is the tail winds that still bring you back to the USA on time.
    Delta recommends a two hour layover as you will see when you book through them, not so true leaving the USA,
    sometimes depending on the flight, you will only have 45 minutes to get to the outbound gate for Bonaire. I tend
    to avoid those flights and opt for the earliest flight i can get out of Norfolk which is 5:30am.... I just feel more comfortable that way.
    Anyway, good luck Bea and have fun on your trip.
    Last edited by ModRoy; 09-01-2015 at 10:21 AM. Reason: fixed quote box

We breezed thru last Saturday returning from Bonaire--the customs and immigration area was nearly empty. The only holdup was the folks rejecting their pics as ugly or worse at the Immigration kiosks--my first attempt, since one must look down for the button to press; was of the top of my bald head! Many women really hated their pictures coming back from a dive vacation with sweaty airplane hordes!

Even after getting past the button pushing thing! Must not look down!

jonz-
    Since we entered the Goble Entry System (GOES) going through immigration has be very easy and fast, which made any tight turn-around not an issue.

Neptune Nick

Four of us started the process at 7 pm Saturday. All was well, until we went through the facial recognition/passport process. Three of the four had no problem. My wife go the big "X" across her ticket, and we...along with a LOT of others...were routed through the time consuming process. The inspector, once we got to him, was a little baffled as to why she got "X'd". Nothing unusual with her passport, our tickets, or anything else. He zipped us through with no hassle, but it took a half hour before we headed for the baggage claim section. The whole process, even with the delay, was about 70 minutes, so 2 hours should be no problem for you. Just have all of your paperwork handy.