Thread: Conditions in Fall

Default Conditions in Fall

Looking at planning a trip to Bonaire in late October or Early November and wonder what the weather and water conditions are that time of year.

This will be our fifth visit to the island but first outside of the February-April timeframe. How different will the conditions be from what we are used to?

wwguy is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

IMHO the biggest difference (which isn't that big) will be increased likelihood of precipitation in the fall. In general the seasonal fluctuations in humidity, air temperature, and water temperature are minimal. Most noticeable for us has been that the winds decrease in late summer and early fall, which increases the perceived air temperature. Bonaire's fall and early winter "rainy season" is in perspective to the meager 22" of annual rainfall on the island. This means that much of the rainy season is dry too. Underwater it's almost always good year-round with less than 2 degrees F change in average water temperature between March and December. Of course averages are just that, and it's difficult to predict ocean and weather events that lead to significant changes in water temperature and visibility.

Here are a couple of links to some interesting weather and water data:
    Average weather in Bonaire
    Bonaire Weather & Climate - Temperature Averages

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

September & October are the hottest months ... you will notice that October will be significantly warmer & more humid than March, for example. Water temps in March are generally around 79-82 degF; water temps in October are generally around 83-85 degF. We don't use our airco in March, but do use it in September-October.

In any case, there's no bad time to be on Bonaire !!
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

Back in the days when I was visiting as a tourist, my FAVORITE time to come was the last week in October and first week in November. It's still one of my favorite times on the island. As already said, water temps are like bath water. Winds are light, but still refreshing, also keeping waves down if you boat dive. We do have light rains sometimes, but it clears the air and makes the sky really blue with beautiful white puffy clouds. It's the perfect time to photograph the island. With the El Nino that we are entering, they are forecasting a dry hot summer for us. That might mean that rainy season will also come a bit later than normal. I can't guarantee you a visit without rain, but generally the "big" rains (as big as Bonaire gets) can come a bit later.

What everyone has said so far. However, and this is a big one for us given that my wife gets bad reactions to mosquito bites, is that the rain now sometimes brings clouds of mosquitoes. We've been twice in November and not happy campers either time (without screens). We likely will continue to come in May, after the cruise ships are gone and when the mozzies seem to be less numerous.

September and October are not just milder winds but bring wind reversals and the normal calm west side conditions shift to the East and open up shore diving of sites not normally dived because they are too rough. It's possible to dive the East side all year around but much easier during the wind reversals in these months.

Good info. Our group arrives Sat Nov 1st. Will be my 6th time back. Can't wait.