Thread: Best Snorkeling Vest?

judyphelps is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Default Best Snorkeling Vest?

I need to get my husband a snorkeling vest before we come down. Does anyone have any experience with them? Not sure which brand/style to get him. Thanks.

Sue has one but we have found that a wet suit works better and as a bonus you are protected from the sun and stinging things. A full 3mm wet suit is about 5 pounds positive buoyancy.
    And Jerry said, Keep it light, Keep it friendly. Post Like Jerry.

Upstate/Central NY Fingerlakes region near Syracuse, NY

I agree with the wet suit recommendation...we use "shorties", I think are 3mm, which help with both buoyancy and allows to stay in the water longer. Many, many years ago had the self-inflating vests and they were annoying to wear; I wore once and my wife quit after just a few times.
    "Stay in school, work hard, stay out of trouble and when you grow up, you can pay for those who didn't."

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

If you don't want to use a wetsuit or shorty, there are some nice snorkeling vests your local dive store can get from Innovative Scuba or Trident. Not expensive.
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

For an adult, I would agree with the wetsuit recommendations (assuming that you want to lay out that amount of money). Either a 2mm shortie or a 3/2 jumpsuit (which I wear for diving) would be great warmth, provide positive buoyancy, and add protection. We have an inflatable vest for our son, but it seems to tip him backwards if inflated more than a little bit. The one advantage of the vest is the high-vis coloration. Happy snorkeling.

Upstate/Central NY Fingerlakes region near Syracuse, NY

I replied previously and recommended a shortie wetsuit. I still feel a wetsuit is the way to go, but if you really want a vest, this is one of the nicest ones I've ever seen. http://www.leisurepro.com/p-scpcsv/s...t-black-yellow
    Good luck and enjoy!
    "Stay in school, work hard, stay out of trouble and when you grow up, you can pay for those who didn't."