Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shortcut back from Karpata?

Sorrows is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

This is our fifth trip to Bonaire--always at Christmas, and always at the tail end of the rainy season. Sometimes the shortcut is do-able, sometimes not; I guess it depends on how rainy it has been. We've visited Rincon several times (and the distillery) and I agree it is interesting and the wind turbines are strangely beautiful. But the shortcut is an adventure AND a challenge! Btw, is it still marked by that red rock?

This is our fifth trip to Bonaire--always at Christmas, and always at the tail end of the rainy season. Sometimes the shortcut is do-able, sometimes not; I guess it depends on how rainy it has been. We've visited Rincon several times (and the distillery) and I agree it is interesting and the wind turbines are strangely beautiful. But the shortcut is an adventure AND a challenge! Btw, is it still marked by that red rock?
    Exactly. We visit Rincon at least several times each trip. Love doing the shortcut though. If you're not an adventurous spirit you probably shouldn't. In Sept it was grown over more than normal and even though the road was rough going up, not as bad as some times in the past. We sat and watched a group of goats, two of which were having a "ramming" contest for about 20 minutes. Very impressive. Don't remember if the red rock was there or not, but the entrance to the dirt road is hard to miss unless it's grown over somewhat.

Just for the record, the "short cut road" is shorter in distance but not really in time spent traveling back to town through Rincon from Karpata.
    But if you're looking for an adventure on some "bad" road you should travel the East Coast route along the shoreline from Lagun past Spelonk Lighthouse to The Windmills and on to Rincon. Lots to stop and see along the way and you get a real taste of "The Wild Side" of the island.

Sorrows is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

I remember the East Coast road, but I don't remember it being particularly bad--must have been on the paved version? I love the windmills, and the crashing waves; last time we started a war between some donkeys when my son offered one food--we hightailed it back to the car AND landed on some fire ants. Ah, good times...

So ...which is the shorter route? Should we put it to the test? Challenge accepted! )

Hey there Biddie,
    Years and years ago, although I hate to admit this, we used to come back down the one way road. I would Never Ever Never Ever suggest this now as there is too much traffic.... I am talking back before TV was a common place thing here, cars and trucks were a luxury,back in 1989 it was a whole different island. It doesnt take that long to go through Rincon. Plus the ladies in Rincon make the best Pestechi!

Bonairebill is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

I took it three weeks ago and it seemed the same to be as before. Never was a good road but saves time.

contrms is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Where do you get ice cream in Rincon?

Cornhusker is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

la se mae

wwguy is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by contrms View Post
    Where do you get ice cream in Rincon?
    Le-Ma-Se

http://www.lemase.info/

I love that road. but expect truck to get dusty. I loved doing a couple dives at Karpata in AM and would take dirt road back to road and stop for lunch at Caribbean Club pool bar. Was great to be able to jump in pool, get salt off, order killer burger, Fries, ice Tea in shady breeze, and power nap on their Adirondack chairs to recharge batteries before diving sites in south.

I like idea of going Rincon for Ice Cream milk shake.