Thread: Cave Snorkelng Tour

Default Cave Snorkelng Tour

Has anyone done a cave snorkeling tour? I've found several websites for the tours but not a lot of information on the caves themselves. Thanks! Dixie

We did it last month with Outdoor Bonaire. It was a very interesting tour of 2 caves, 1 dry, and one wet. Hans, the owner & guide , was very informative about the caves, their formation, and inhabitants. You didn't snorkel so much as walk thru the water, then use your mask and snorkel to observe from a seated position. Very worthwhile, to see another side of Bonaire. The caves are all natural, no lights, walkways, etc. If you can, see about doing the dry cave first - it's HOT, and the wet one would be refreshing afterwards.
    Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, beer in the other, body used up, totally worn-out and screaming, "WOO HOO, what a ride!"

Thanks Nick! Is it easy to get in/out of the caves (I have one person interested that who isn't used to a lot of climbing, etc.). Is it worth taking my u/w camera in for photos or just a point & shoot?

If you go to the same caves - the dry one has a ladder @ 15' that you climb down. Once inside it isn't bad, one or two spots of easy climbing over stuff. The wet cave requires some easy rappelling down a sloped entry. Once in there are a few spots that do require a little bit of contortion & scrambling to get thru. If anyone is seriously overweight or very big it would be difficult in those spots. If the point & shoot is waterproof to a few feet I'd take it, otherwise the u/w camera - in the wet cave you are moving thru the water and would definitely get a camera wet.
    Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, beer in the other, body used up, totally worn-out and screaming, "WOO HOO, what a ride!"

What do you wear when you do these.....thanks

I wore a bathing suit, water shoes, and loose rash guard. The women had shorts and t-shirts and sneakers or water shoes with bathing suits under. You'll get wet, not very dirty.