Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kids and snorkeling from the beach

Default Kids and snorkeling from the beach

Hi folks,
    A bit of honest advice please. We've heard nothing but great things about Bonaire and how it is easy for kids to snorkel right from the beaches.Until today... a Work friend who is an experienced diver said she got pummeled( by coral/rocks/waves) trying to snorkel on most of the beaches, and would only recommend Bonaire if we intended to dive , not snorkel. Are the Bonaire beaches more suited for diving? I know Bonaire doesn't have classic beaches, and that is great, as we are active and want to be snorkeling, not laying on a beach towel.
    We are a family of 4, two kids, 11 and 14, very strong swimmers (We live on the Tennessee river) and our goal was to find a place we could snorkel without being held hostage to dive boats, and charters, so we could snorkel at our leisure. I promise we aren't "Wussies" who freak if our kids get a bit banged up.

Thanks,
    Mike

wwguy is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Not sure what happened to your friend, but Bonaire has fantastic snorkeling from many sites with easy entry and exit. Just Google for images of "snorkeling Bonaire" and you'll see lots of photos of the typical Bonaire snorkeling experience.

We took our son to Bonaire for the first time when he was 12 years old. Whenever he wasn't diving with us, eating, or sleeping, he was in the ocean snorkeling on his own. IMHO the entire western shoreline between Belnem (south of Kralendijk) and Hato (north of Kralendijk) is pretty much suitable for snorkeling for kids that meet your description above. The exceptions are areas off limits for other reasons (i.e. near the cruise ship and cargo piers etc.) Of course weather events occasionally happen that might change this, but this is the rare exception rather than the rule.

The snorkeling is great on Bonaire. As a diver or a snorkeler you have to be very careful getting in and out of the water and you also need hard sole booties. I both dive and snorkel and love to swim so Bonaire should be great for your family. What is nice about Bonaire is you can drive along the shore and jump in anywhere and snorkel. Exploring places is so much fun. The beaches on Bonaire are not sandy they are rocky so that is what makes the diving and snorkeling so great . When are you planning on visiting Bonaire ?

most of the time the EAST side {wild side} of the island is not conducive to snorkeling.. but one look at the waves and you would know that.. perhaps these people went there ???? or perhaps there was a wind reversal when your friend was on island... there is sometimes a surge very close to the iron shore, better to snorkel off shore a bit... you should be fine if you use common sense stay alert for dive boats if you are snorkeling in the blue...

{thanks Mark for pointing my mistake out.. !!!! egad... ) I do up ^ really well
    Last edited by ModFreddie; 09-17-2013 at 08:18 AM.
    Freddie

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.

Mike,

I go every year with my two kids, 13 and 11 now (we've been going for 4-5 years), and we snorkel several hours per day all over the island. I'm happy to chat live with you about this if you'd like, but can't figure out how to private message you. ModFreddie, can you advise us on that?

to private message click on the persons name in the upper left hand corner of a post.. to PM mike you would click on Moon317 and that brings up more options, one of them being private messaging
    Freddie

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.

Thanks so much for the reply. Bonaire it is!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the Info!! We arent going until Late June/Early July, but we are going!!

Thanks Paul,
    Sounds like we have the same kids!!
    I appreciate the info,
    Mike

If you stay at Divi you can snorkel right from one of their piers. We have done this for 20 years and still love it. Also, do not forget about going with Dee on the Woodwind. The snorkel is especially great for kids as Dee has 3 of her own and really can help them identify fish.