Thread: Diving lighthouse

Default Diving lighthouse

Lighthouse is southernmost dive on island and supposed to be an awesome dive when it's calm. Definitively advanced dive due to currents. You mis-calculate, you're off to to Grenada. This will be 4th trip (June 1st - 8th) and have always wanted to try out but didn't have Cojones to do it. The attraction to it is the larger pelagics
    It's got to be dead calm. No waves period. Figure out direction of current and swim in direction of current. Challenge is knowing where the entry point is.

Curious if anyone has done it

Yes it is an awesome dive, done it several times. Last October we were in Bonaire and all the dive sites were calm and easily accessible. I have also done it when there were wind reversals and the southern most sites were the ones to dive. From what I was told by Bonaire locals the best time to dive it is early in the morning. That also goes for the northern most sites. Best thing to do is talk to local divers when you arrive or check out conditions yourself. You could also try to hook up with someone that has dove that site before and will dive it with you. If you get the chance, try to dive the East side as well. You will not be disapointed.

I dove it last August on a day when the winds were calmer than normal and a bit out of the north. The entry was basically just behind the lighthouse. Getting in wasn't so difficult. Once we were in deep enough to don our fins we did so and headed straight out. The swim to the drop off seemed longer than most of the west side dives and we did start getting into bigger swells which created quite a surge. The visibility was worse in the shallows than what you can expect on the calm side. I think due to the surge kicking up sediment.

The most impressive difference though compared to the west coast is the sheer number of fans on the way out to the drop off. It was like swimming over forests of sea fans all swaying back and forth with the surge. Once out on the drop off, the reef was similar to the west coast frankly. We did not witness any pelagics. The winds picked up during the dive and made the exit more challenging. I was in a hurry to get out of the water to see who the 2 men were checking out my rental truck and slipped coming out and cut my hand on a rock. They were rangers from Stinapa who were waiting to make sure we got out ok. They said they were a bit surprised to see us there as it is not usual to be able to dive that site. This made my wife even a bit angrier for having dragged her out on that dive.

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

The lighthouse is a great dive. Don't fight the current when there is one, just drift toward the radar tower and find a place to exit. One buddy stays with the gear; the other buddy walks about a quarter mi. or so back to get the truck. Why work hard?
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32