Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any sites that are better or just as good to snorkel?

Default any sites that are better or just as good to snorkel?

Hi,

Just curious if anyone ever found that a certain area was better or just as good to snorkel, rather than to dive?
    ~L

It all depends on what you want Lori. Our favorite snorkel sites such as the yellow hut across from the airport or one of the Andreas have pretty beat up coral close to shore but good fishlife in shallow water. Alternatively, you could hit some of the isolated coral heads closer to shore at some of the way southern sites like Margate Bay. But our newest favorite snorkeling site is Karpata (when not too rough) -- good cover of hard and soft corals in 15-20 feet of water and lots of fish. Of course, you can dive all these sites too or combine a snorkel after your dive. Enjoy. b

I would second "Bill's" recommendations and like to add a few more, in no particular order:

1) Klein Bonaire, you can do the water taxi, or any of the many snorkel trips offered on the Island to get there;
    2) Lac Bay is another excellent location if you don't mind the 20 minute walk out to the break water; I recommend that you look at the wind; you want a calm day, and high tide;
    3) Lastly is one of my favorites: just to the left of Dive Friends Bonaire, Yellow Submarine location. We have an apartment in front of the beach and the local fishermen clean their fish out front, throwing the waste into the water; which attracts lots of fish. You need to stay close to the shore to see all the life, but it is a very easy entry/exit. If you want to see some videos from snorkeling in front of our unit you will find them on my YouTube Channel.

Gord

johnorman is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

I've dove and snorkeled in Central America and the all over the Carribean and found the BEST EVER snorkel to be a drift at Klein Bonaire. The ferry boat (15.00) will drop you off for an extra 2 dollars and you'll drift along the shore to the beach......

Some self promotion

We snorkeled at Lac Bay yesterday I took some video with my GoPro Hero 2 on a PoleCam.

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

I second Karpata but prefer the drift snorkel from LaDania's leap to Karpata.
    It's a small jump my 10 yr old daughter was able to do.
    Beautiful coral, very often turtles (saw 5 on our last snorkel)

Klein Bonaire is lovely too. We had some bad luck with jellys.

In Washington Park, I really like Wayaka II

We dove Punt Verkant. Saw a ton of creatures in the shallows. I would advice that area for snorkeling some of our friends did while we went deeper. Punt Verkant behind the unfinished hotel closer to Lighthouse beach.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by smits View Post
    In Washington Park, I really like Wayaka II
    We loved that one as well. Not a ton of variety of coral but massive amounts of fish of all sizes and seems like it's shallow for miles.

Gordo, interested in how the locals treat you with the GoPro pole. One local told us they are not allowed. We went in anyway but left the area shortly after. This was at Windsock. And no, we didn't poke anything

Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    We loved that one as well. Not a ton of variety of coral but massive amounts of fish of all sizes and seems like it's shallow for miles.

Gordo, interested in how the locals treat you with the GoPro pole. One local told us they are not allowed. We went in anyway but left the area shortly after. This was at Windsock. And no, we didn't poke anything
    I saw your other post about this and just spent some time reading the Stinapa rules, and I found no mention of poles being banned. I would assume that if that was a new rule it would be listed on the web site, and it isn't. No one has mentioned anything to me; and I also am very careful to not touch anything. The PoleCam I use is 2 feet long; besides you can't get too close or it is out of focus.

great video! Well, I guess the poles are ok then. Maybe we just experienced and over-zealous local. I'd really love to get back there one day!