Thread: Some rough seas Aug 4th to 11th.

bboy is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Default Some rough seas Aug 4th to 11th.

Karpata, 1000 steps, Tolo, Yellow Hut, Hidden Beach, N Red Beryl seemed to be wavy and a bit tough so we avoided them. Are these areas every calm and if so during what time if year?

Talking rough seas

Hello, I usually travel in November, and have good luck at those sites but mostly in the morning....

bboy is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

early or late November?

I've found that 1000 steps always used to be good in August. Maybe the climate is a bit different now.
    Nick

We will be making our third trip to Bonaire the second week of November, the same time we have gone for the last two years. The first year we had perfect weather but a lingering wind reversal after a big storm. It did affect our outings to the north but made it easier on the southern sites. The second year every place we visited was perfectly calm and clear; for example, the platform at Karpata which was wave-covered the first year made for a pretty simple entry the next time. The close-to-town sites were fine both years. There may not be a perfect or guaranteed time to visit, although many Bonaire veterans swear by their chosen dates. We go at a time that is good for us in terms of the rest of our life, so we are prepared to take what comes. Suffice it to say, there is no vacation we have ever repeated except for Bonaire, and we anticipate coming every year as long as we can do it (we are getting old!).

Regards...Patsy ><((((o>

bboy,
    I am guessing you were just unlucky. i was there end of July and had no issues. you just ran in to some bad weather related waves or surge.
    Happened to me/us big time several years ago in March. I don't think you can plan around it, it just happens :-(
    anyway thats my take.
    usually 1000 steps is always dive-able. Karpata is the only one I know of that can be rough--I try an go early in the day but am not really sure if its time of day thing or not,just that it can be difficult.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Patsy View Post
    Suffice it to say, there is no vacation we have ever repeated except for Bonaire, and we anticipate coming every year as long as we can do it (we are getting old!).
    Same here... except the 'old' part.... :-)

First time I was there, it kept on raining all week. So that meant I had logged more wet time.... The view down below was always spectacular.... It only got better (if that was even possible) over the years during repeat trips....

On another trip, we had a truck with a steering problem. It kept on driving us to Tolo for the whole week..Must have logged some 18 dives in Tolo... again one of my best trips.

Yup... Bonaire rocks....

wwguy is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Hurricane season runs June through November in the Atlantic and Caribbean. (August/September are the peak months, and April/May are lowest.) Bonaire is a safer bet than most Caribbean islands during this time of year because it's located south of the hurricane belt. However waves generated by storms hundreds of miles away still have considerable energy when they reach Bonaire's shores.

Storms or not, wind direction also plays a major factor. Bonaire usually enjoys steady easterly trade winds, which is what makes diving and snorkeling on the western shores so predictably enjoyable. But sometimes the winds come from a more northeasterly direction, which brings waves to some areas on the NW side of the island.

Weather happens.

I too really wanted to snorkel Karpata when I was there back in July. But the three times I made an attempt the waves were coming up over the cement platform. Hopefully next time