Thread: Deep Blue View, New friends and MANTA !!

Default Deep Blue View, New friends and MANTA !!

April 21 - May 5, 2012 We again visited Bonaire and stayed at the Deep Blue View Resort. This was our third trip. The Deep Blue View is a 5 room resort up in the hills. The view overlooks beautiful scenery which includes Klein Bonaire. Although there is a drive up to the resort, the time is well worth to be off of the beaten path. We found ourselves very often the only people at the resort to enjoy the pool, hammocks and personal service that Menno, Esther and Erika offer. We were also treated to a two tank boat dive on Mi Jadato. What an awesome boat this is. In addition to the boat dive, we also had a guided dive of of Cai, through the breaker channel. Going out it is fin to fin as the water has no vis and surge. Again, we broke through the Tarpon Wall which is exciting. Once over the wall however, it all clears up and the ocean reveals it's hidden treasure. Moray, turtle, lobster, Very large drumfish as well as a few of those pesty Lionfish. The Lionfish spotted were well taken care of my Menno's hunting skills and later became part of the BBQ night at the Deep Blue View.

Diving as usual was wonderful. We were able to log 26 dives for this trip. We chose 1 tank , 2 tank , 3 tank, and 4 tank days. Pre dawn, post dawn, day, afternoon, twilight, night and late night. This is the beauty of diving Bonaire. We used Nitrox/Enriched air for the entire two weeks. Dive sights as far south as Tori's reef and as north as Karpata, all of which offered excellent marine and coral life. We of course dived our favorite reef, The Lake 4 times , Salt Pier 3 times and Karpata 3 times, for us, these three sites in particular never disappoint. But then, we have the Hilma Hooker, and for this trip, the highlight or our diving. To set this dive up, I will say that overall we were in the right place at the right time. Upon arriving to the parking area we found several trucks of divers gearing up for their dive. We almost decided to move on to another site, but instead decided to hang back a bit, give the divers time to get in and then we would go. We slowly put on our gear and meandered out to the bouy. On the way out, I even had to take my BCD off as one of my straps was twisted and Michael had to take his booties due to sand. Once we got that all fixed, we went down and headed out to the wreck. We slowly followed our plan to dive to the stern and spiral around to a max depth of 80 feet. We waited for the Tarpon to come out of the hull as the divers ahead of us, now inside the Hooker, were chasing them out. We saw several very large silvery Tarpon, one by one, single file, come out and pass just a few feet in front of us, making a huge circle and go back inside to their resting place. At this point, we were happy. We then followed our plan to slowly ascend as we went around the bow of the ship and up the hull. About midway our gift from the Boniare water Goddess happened. From the right a 10 ft Manta presented itself and slowly crossed in front of us. At first, Michael had thought he had just turned off his video, but fortunately, in the excitement of it all, he had not. What a treat this was for our last dive day. It certainly was a great way to end a two week vacation.

As far as topside activities, we honestly did not do much. We enjoyed a day in Rincon for their annual founders celebration. Plenty of food, refreshments and dancing. We of course stopped at the Rose Inn for lunch on two occasions. Meals in town were low key for this trip. Bobbi Jeans, Pasa Bon Pizza as well as the trailer in the parking lot. We did dine at the Tapas restaurant as well as Rains Fishes one evening with friends Terry and Mary. (So nice to see you two again.) We also met new friends Don from BC, Canada and John and Dawn from Florida. You folks were a delight to dive with and we truly enjoyed our time visiting. Of course, John and Dawn did spot that green frogfish which we did not get to see..but, oh well, them's are the breaks !!! LOL

See here for Manta video :

Overall, the trip was wonderful and we look forward to a return trip.

Mike and Sue
    Last edited by ModFreddie; 05-17-2012 at 05:49 PM.

Enjoyed your video. Thanks!

Wow! Great video.

You are correct. Timing is everything in life, especially, when we are diving. A divemaster once told me, "Remember, it is an ocean, not a zoo. We never know what we will see or what will swim by."

That is probably the same ray we saw at Something Special a couple of weeks earlier.

Thanks for sharing.

jkehnle is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Or maybe it is serendipity...or karma...or...maybe it just is. Thanks!

Scuba Sheila is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Wow, sea life at it's best! They are so beautiful! We're still waiting for our Manta sighting; 22 years, but who's counting?? Nice report, thanks!

Great video! I hope there is a Manta hanging around in June.
    Thanks for the report.

JimMc is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Wow!!!!!! So cool!!! To see a majestic manta is just a life bonus.
    Pachi Jim

ohh so nice, Thanks for sharing
    You never know what you will see on a dive in Bonaire , I have been diving Bonaire for the last 6 years , a couple of years ago I was fortunate to see a Whale shark at Windsock ....of course the cameras were all in search of seahorses and frogfish..... I was lucky enough to be looking out into the blue and saw it coming and swim right by me .....amazing! Can't wait to get back this year .... Cheers. Anne

Great video! Last October and again in March we saw a Manta on four different dives. All were up north at Andrea11, Jeff Davis twice, and Tolo. Bonaire 3-12 192.jpg