Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wet suit - 3mil shortie ok?

Default wet suit - 3mil shortie ok?

I'll be snorkeling in Bonaire from April 14 - 28. Based on what I've read on BT about water temp I decided to buy a 3 mil shortie ( from a company that makes wet suits that fit larger women like me). I also own a 3mil regular wet suit - don't know if I also need to bring that along also. I get cold easily and usually stay in the water 1hr or more. Any advice?
    Thank you Susan

think BURNED CALVES Sue....{and ugly tan line.. bootie line..plus shorty line ..}.. you might want the full wetsuit instead..... and hour in the Bonaire Sun is enough to gve you a nasty burn...
    Freddie

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.

diverdebbi is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

My husbands old Gold Core wetsuit was replacing my old hyper stretch...but so he'd to get on and off that I cut the arms and legs off and made a shortie.....big mistake...scraped my shins getting in t Angel City and ditto the tan lines...looked like I had a " farmer tan ".... Highly recommend the full suit...3 ml is good enuff

Very good advice Freddy and Debbi. I worry a lot about getting scraped when I enter and leave the water. Also worry about sunburn. And I certainly don't want a burned bootie line! The 3mil full wet suit is such a pain to get into though but I definitely will pack it. Thanks for the advice

Only thing worse than calf sun burns are "top-o-the foot" sunburns. Truly.

I wear a light skin under mine,,, it helps when you put it on the suit slips right on.... and I am NO twiggy by a ANY means...
    Freddie

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.

I also chill easily and snorkel for long periods (1 hour). In 14 years of trips to Bonaire I cannot recall feeling cold, except occasionally initially (10-20 seconds) when I jump in the water. Nevertheless I sometimes wear a skin to prevent sunburn from being in the water a long time.

smits is online now Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

I dive/snorkel on Bonaire since 1977. I never wear more than a t-shirt. Would hate the hassle of getting in and out of a suit. I apply a good sun screen lotion at the beginning of the day and never got burned - well except for the spot on the middle of the top of my head where my hair starts to get thin :-(

If you wear a 3 ml wetsuit for snorkeling do you have to where weights to get down (assuming you dive down at all)? I dive and snorkel with a Polyolefin Dive Skin in summer and most of the time in winter on Bonaire. This past March a 3mil wetsuit was probably a better idea ( do have a bare3/2). I need some weight even with my dive skin and its suppose to be neutrally buoyant but I am a bit overweight these days. Anyway curious always looking for better ideas snorkeling.
    Bob

I was free diving a few weeks back..............because the water is down right cold right now (okay, you northerners, quit laughing!--it's cold to us islanders!), I was wearing a 2/3 wetsuit. I used a three-pound weight to offset the buoyancy of the suit and didn't have any problem with diving down. However, I am negative in the water without a suit, so if you are slightly positive, you might need a tad more weight.