Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top 5 snorkeling spots to hit before you DIE!!

Default Top 5 snorkeling spots to hit before you DIE!!

Let me be clear! I do not plan to die any time soon.

I am taking my 11 yr old daughter to Bonaire for her first time and I would like her to have a trip of a lifetime.

Please reply with your best 5 spots accessible by boat or shore, probably best we stay on the west side, though. She's great in the water and no stranger to the sea but we're looking for easy access and kickin' fish variety!

Seriously, if you had to pick 5, just 5! No ties, no "also-rans", just top pix.

Thank you in advance,

Nestakai

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Wayaka II
    Drift snorkel Klein Bonaire
    Drift snorkel LaDania - Karpata (check the waves at Karpata first for safe exit)

Wayaka2
    Tolo
    Lac, fishermens dock
    Karpata
    Klein Bonaire (Woodwind)

Bari Reef
    Karpata
    Klein Bonaire drift (on Woodwind)
    in town south of Yellow Submarine
    Plaza/18th Palm

All fun...Patsy ><((((o>

Our ten-year old made his fourth trip to Bonaire this past year for snorkeling, and many others have posted ideas about snorkeling. I would do Klein Bonaire and Karpata for the scenery, as well as the little yellow building across from the airport for the fish. Coral is beat here, but you can't top the fish. Enjoy.

I'm renting a boat to hit Klein with the fam. If there any "Klein specific" snorkeling sites that you would like to mention....

larrygross is online now Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

The Bonaire guide at www.tropicalsnorkeling.com is the best for Klein, the only one done since Lenny. BSDME doesn't cover it, but it's great around the main island.

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by nestakai View Post
    I'm renting a boat to hit Klein with the fam. If there any "Klein specific" snorkeling sites that you would like to mention....
    I did the same last year. Just anchor at a buoy near the small beach. Swim to the beach. Walk all the way to the left and do a drift snorkel back to your boat. Wear hard soled booties and use open heel fins.
    You might consider using some skin protection while snorkeling. We encounter jelly fish every year. Or just anchor at any buoy, swim and navigate to the next one.
    Depending on the wind, you will be restrickted to snorkel at the leeward side only.
    Don't forget to ask for tubes, waterski's and other boards. Your daughter will love it.

Default 5 snorkel sites to see if possible

1. Klein Bonaire (with Woodwind): turtles highly likely!
    2. Wayaca 2 (in the Park). Hope the very friendly angelfish is still there.
    3. Tori's reef: lots of fish close to shore in the reef.
    4. Windsock/yellowhut/donkey beach (area across from airport) sandy beach, easy access, lots of sealife.
    5. Benge (in the Park). Often too rough to enter. Unusual reefs perpendicular to shore, larger fish, turtles.

Two not on the list of 5 because they are not reliably available:
    1. If it is calm, and you can book Renee, Lac Cai across from Sorobon is a mix of shallow and deep species.

2. The Salt Pier (across from the salt piles), but requires a guide (Renee?) or at least permission.

Klein Bonaire from the boat is really good
    Andrea 1 and 2
    Cliff
    Te Amo beach
    Donkey beach

Dont forget to were something like booties or watershoes and you fish id map! always great fun with that the map
    works at
    Dive Friends Bonaire