Thread: Bonaire Snorkeling and Diving No Comparison ANYWHERE

Cool Bonaire Snorkeling and Diving No Comparison ANYWHERE

We have read many posts over the years asking about locations to visit while diving or snorkeling on Bonaire.

We have read many posts over the years asking about good, better, best places to visit while snorkeling or diving on Bonaire.

My wife and I will give you a "somewhat biased" answered to all who have questions similar to those above in the future.

Bonaire and the waters around it are so good that you can not really make a mistake.

You can see more on Bonaire than any other location anywhere. You can enjoy all this as an average person on a very reasonable budget. We have done it with only our snorkeling gear we purchased before our first trip and our now two year old simple Cannon D10 camera. No need for a lot of expensive gear.

As you drive around the island, you can pick a good spot to park, get out of your car, get your gear on, and find a safe entry point and from there it is all just great.

During our trips to the island from the first to our last trip in June we have seen more incedible things on Bonaire then we EVER could have imagined. We have seen marine life of incredible variety in person that we had thought we would only see on the National Geographic Channel on our TV set here in our home.

As a "middle aged" couple fom central Pennsylvania in the US we have seen and photographed incedible marine life while on Bonaire. If we can do it then anyone can.

We have done this with the help of many kind residents of the island who helped us through the first year or two. We used the local guides like Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy but mostly we did it with a little trial and error. The funny thing was that we learned quickly that it was hard to make any "errors". The waters around Bonaire are so great that no matter where you end up you will see more then any other location anywhere.

So if you are a person who enjoys the ocean and seeing what lives in it Bonaire is your spot. Just find a way to get to Bonaire read up just a little and enjoy.

If you want to get an idea of what you can and will see while in the waters around Bonaire check our our flickr site. We just recently added a few short video clips from last summer's trip. The one clip of the octopus hunting in broad daylight is neat.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/patruss2010/

Have a good day... We can not wait until June 2012...We have snow on the ground and the temperature with wind chill is in the teens...Great.

Pat and Russ
    Pennsylvania USA

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Thank for posting your experiences. It's clear you had a great time, and who am I to blame you :-)
    I loved the video of the filefish. Nerver saw them hunting.

Pat and Russ, We could not agree more. After 18 trips to Bonaire and numerous trips to many other Islands and French Polynesia; we still like Bonaire best.

jkehnle is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

With trip #15 just a few days away, I, like George/Judy, couldn't agree with you more. It is almost frustrating attempting to describe why my wife and I love this place so much...

Thanks for the videos and pix. Our 15th trip is also coming up in a month+.

I saw that ocotopus out on a stroll several years ago ;-)!! It was off Sunset Beach and he was even swimming around a bit. I watched him for maybe 15-20 seconds. Very cool.

Bea

jkehnle is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Isn't it wonderful how just 15-20 seconds of octopus-watching has such an impact on us. We're just not the same afterwards -- just like we're not the same after we've seen our first sea-turtle swimming around us, or great gubbins of flying fish popping out of the water in front of the Woodwind...or your very first dive...or so much more...

I agree, Bonaire is my favourite. The people, the food and most of all... the ocean. But, if there would be any place on this world that a would recommend, second to Bonaire, it is the Philippines. Those small, paradise like islands with white sandy beaches. The overwelming number of different species under water, the colours... that is even more beautiful. Especially the small island of Pamilacan. During the month of March you could spot the giant blue whale.

coldwaterlloyd Lurker

Hey PatRuss , you missed one major point , the topside wildlife is almost as spectacular as what we see in the ocean , the birds , animals , plant fauna life , it is pretty amazing for the non diver wildlife enthusiast .

Overlooking Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire and "VINIBU" on Bonaire

Pat/Russ..There are many many folks who agree with you. And summer is also my favorite time to snorkel/dive the warm placid waters on the west side.
    "Life is good, And on Bonaire, It's even better!"

Owner of VINIBU