Thread: Snorkeling at the "Cliff" Dive Site

kusnorkel is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Default Snorkeling at the "Cliff" Dive Site

I can't seem to find any information about whether the dive site called the "Cliff" is good for snorkeling or if it is too deep and recommended only for diving. Has anyone snorkeled or gone diving in this area who can let me know?

Also, I keep seeing that the Bari Reef area and the section called the "Aquarium" (or NOT called that... I saw that argument on this board somewhere) is amazing. Is this walking/swimming distance from the "Cliff" area or would we need to drive? It looks far on Google Maps, but it's hard to judge from that high up.

Thanks!
    Katie

Rog Karen is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

The "Cliff" is a pretty good snorkel site. Not that far of a swim to the top of the reef and pretty shallow there too. Be careful going down to the rock entrance, the ladder has deteriorated so you need to go in north of the dive shop unless you are staying at Hamlet and then you can go in right off there property.
    Rog & Karen

wwguy is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Katie,

The Cliff is a beautiful site for both snorkeling and diving. We just returned from 3 weeks at Beachcomber Villas, where we enjoyed private oceanfront access to this site. (Public access near Dive Friends Bonaire's Hamlet location is actually a little ways north of the Cliff wall and mooring buoy.)

Our preference for snorkeling was to explore the reefs in shallow water near the shore. That's where you'll find the greatest diversity of fish visible from the surface. We also enjoyed snorkeling over the sand flats and to the edge of the reef drop-off. These deeper areas are great spots to look for larger marine life like rays, barracuda, and tarpon. I've attached an image below to help you sort it all out. Once you're there I think it will make perfect sense.

We've already made reservations to return next year, but typing this makes me wish we were back there now!

Cliff_01.jpg

wwguy is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

One more thing... be sure to keep an eye peeled towards the blue water. We saw dolphins swim by twice while we were there. You never know when something amazing might swim out of the blue!

kusnorkel is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Thanks!! Your responses were just what I needed to hear. We just contacted the owners to book the Beachcomber Villas for our vacation. It's so hard to choose when you've never been there before! Thank you so much for your responses on both of my posts!!

Katie