Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Woodwind or Rene?

kusnorkel is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Default Woodwind or Rene?

We're headed to Bonaire this summer and plan to spend most of our time snorkeling. I keep seeing "Woodwind" and "Rene" recommended on different threads and have looked at both of their websites. Can someone who has done both of them recommend one over the other? Do we need to go with one of these at all or will we be just fine snorkeling on our own?

Thanks!

Personally, I would do both! Both of these snorkel operators offer excellent services. Woodwind will take you to Klein Bonaire, while Rene does shore snorkels around the main island. You will see different things on each of their programs. And, although you definitely do not need a guide, I can pretty much guarantee you will see so much more with an experienced guide showing you things you won't see on your own.

agree with susan. admit i never done a woodwind trip but its an oversight on my part. Rene is great. i am a diver but Rene is great and you will see tons you might not see on your own. i usually do the last day as a snorkel day but may change that Rene is that good!
    Bob

Susan hit it, yes is the answer do both or either, you will not be disappointed.
    And Jerry said, Keep it light, Keep it friendly. Post Like Jerry.

We always use both Woodwind and Rene on our trips as each offers such a unique different experience. On the Woodwind, Dee and her crew will take you out to Klein Bonaire, she'll help you if your equipment isn't great for you (I was hating my mask, and she let me borrow a different one, which she said would be better for my face shape). I loved it, and went into town the next day to buy the same brand. My wife had used her mask only once on the island, and Dee traded her a brand new mask for it that was more appropriate for her face. You always see turtles on the Woodwind trip, and Dee always points out something cool. Then on the way back you get lunch!

Rene will pick you up at your hotel/accommodations, and takes you around to various spots as a personal snorkel guide. If there is something in particular you want to see, let Rene know, and she'll know where to go to see that animal. We're planning on a two week trip this year, and will be booking probably two trips on Woodwind, and at least 2-3 with Rene. The rest of the trip we do our own thing, and all we do is snorkel.

My husband and I, solely snorkelers, would agree with the conclusion that both Renee and Dee/Woodwind add a lot to a week on Bonaire. We have experienced both on our two trips. Going out on the Woodwind is the bargain of the island with beverages and quite tasty food on top of the three snorkel stops at Klein. Just being on that boat is a lot of fun. At the time of year we have gone, November, it is good to schedule the Woodwind via the internet and then confirm with a phone call when you reach Bonaire. This year we asked Renee to take us out in the evening when we would not have ventured into the water on our own. We saw one amazing thing after another. Again, we scheduled on the internet. The rest of our days we went to many shore sites on our own, but our investment in two local experts was well worth our time and money.

Have fun!
    Patsy

My wife and I have done both. To us, Rene was a disapointment. We didn't get to see anything we hadn't seen before. Woodwind though takes you Klein Bonaire and Dee and ZSuzy wil show you everything there is to see. So, I would opt for Woodwind

Curious about snorkeling on woodwind--- are there ever too many snorkelers? not a big fan of snorkeling with lots of people, would be big reason to go with Rene.
    Unlike Remco had a great snorkeling experience with Rene--not sure I saw anything I hadn't seen but spent a good 10 minutes with an eagle ray, as well as lots of time with a rather large turtle. I am also very fond of juvenile drum fish which Rene took me to a site with many of them. But the ocean is fickle so your experience could be different.
    anyway how does the number of snorkelers effect the woodwind? any tips ?
    Bob

Don't hold me to this, but I'm pretty sure their maximum is 25. On a boat the size of Woodwind, that is not a lot. I've been on board at full capacity and never thought anything of it. But if you want to be sure, email Ulf or Dee at info@woodwindbonaire.com and double check their maximum.

kusnorkel is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Default Thanks

Thank you for all of your responses... based on the majority of them, I think we're going to book with them both! I'm getting SO excited, especially since it's snowing like crazy right now. Thoughts of the warm ocean water are fantastic!