Thread: Passport validity

NatalieS is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Default Passport validity

I've been looking all over online and I can't find a consistent answer to my question. My Canadian passport expires 2 months after I arrive in Bonaire for a 1 week holiday. Will the authorities at the airport allow me into Bonaire, or should I get a new one? I've found various answers online including that a birth certificate is enough, and another answer said that I need to have at least 3 months on my passport.

Natalie If I were you I would renew my passport before I went .. as a matter of face I did just that.. mine runs out in June of 2012.. we are going in January 2012... I remember reading somewhere that there should be at least 6 months leeway between traveling and your passport running out...
    Freddie

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

I agree with Freddie.

Practically all countries I travel to, require a 6 month validity after arrival in the foreign country.

I think the USA requires at least 6 months on the passport for entry, and you have to go through the US on the way...

Yes, definitely renew. Six months is the rule for most international travel anywhere.

Renew to be safe. We just went through this with my wife's documents, and I believe it is the airlines that are holding fast to the six-month regs because a few countries require it for inbound travelers. I have not been able to find anything online that states the Netherlands (i.e. Bonaire) or the U.S. require an elongated passport validity, but was told by two agents at Delta Airlines that they absolutely won't fly anyone without the time. Better safe than have a scene at the airport. Enjoy.

Gmichael is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by NatalieS View Post
    I've been looking all over online and I can't find a consistent answer to my question. My Canadian passport expires 2 months after I arrive in Bonaire for a 1 week holiday. Will the authorities at the airport allow me into Bonaire, or should I get a new one? I've found various answers online including that a birth certificate is enough, and another answer said that I need to have at least 3 months on my passport.
    Suggest you renew. Most major metropolitan Canadian cites have offices that will process them while you wait. However, I just called Mrs. Brown at immigration at the airport who told me it is okay as long as your return ticket has a one week departure date..

NatalieS is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Thanks for the info, everyone!

I asked the same question to my travel agent and this was her reply:

ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS FOR U.S. CITIZENS:
    U.S. citizens do not need a visa for transits or visits up to 90 days. A valid passport for the purpose of travel is required. Passports should be valid beyond the travelerís intended stay. Birth certificates and drivers licenses are no longer accepted for entry.

For further information on entry requirements, contact the Embassy of the Netherlands at 4200 Linnean Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20008, or one of the Dutch consulates in Chicago, Los Angeles, New York or Miami, in addition to various honorary Dutch consulates throughout the United States. Additional information is available on the Dutch Board of Tourism and Conventions website. Visit the Embassy of the Netherlands' website for the most current visa information. Information on work, residency, and immigration requirements in the Netherlands can be found on the website of the Dutch immigration authorities.
    The Netherlands is a party to the Schengen Agreement. As such, U.S. citizens may enter the Netherlands for up to 90 days for tourist or business purposes without a visa. If you are traveling for any other purpose, you may need to obtain a visa. Your passport should be valid for at least three months beyond the period of stay. The 90-day period begins when you enter any of the Schengen group of countries. For further details about travel into and within Schengen countries, please see our fact sheet. Anyone intending to stay longer than 90 days must obtain the appropriate visa from the Dutch Embassy or a Dutch consulate in the United States.
    The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of the Netherlands.
    Information about dual nationality or the prevention of international child abduction can be found on our website. For further information about customs regulations, please read our Customs Information

I've just received a message that the above applies to European Netherlands, but not to Bonaire. Sorry for the misinformation.