Thread: Pier development

Default Pier development

I have heard unofficial rumours that the Judge has ruled in favour of the development of Bonaire Pier.

If this is true then it is an outrage.

The pier was built with funds from Holland via the E.U. from my taxes & the taxes of millions of other people in the European Union. The pier was built as a roll on/roll off container dock to enable the efficient import & export of goods & provisions for the island. It was not financed by the private sector to be sold off to the highest bidder to build a shopping mall.

The proposed development will disrupt imports & exports, have a negative effect on existing businesses, decimate the existing craft market & give one man the monopoly on the cruise ship clientele.

Progress should be for everyone, not for the few. I urge you to protest in any way you can against this outrageous development.

B.I.C.E.P.S. Bonaire will be releasing a press statement on Monday regarding what legal options are available.

www.bicepsbonaire.org
    My names still Antony without the 'H'

Gmichael is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

More stuff is happening than you can shake a stick at. The pier adjacent Karel's is illegal and even though they have permits, the were issued without proper authorization. Also, the cruise ship mall is also suspect in that it violates the ISPS Code for port and shore installations and the US Government is being notified (a complicated set of circumstances can take place down the road and the property can fall into the hands of unsavory characters.) Also the building, Houseman's Folly which is across the street was guaranteed and unobstructed sea view. It appears that the lawyers are going to get rich off this one as well.

From the Amigoe. The island is becoming a joke, containers parked all over the island, with no security. The politicians who gave away the only secure container storage area should be brought to account for such a stupid decision. And to not even send a lawyer to represent the people in court on such an important matter? Unbelievable.

Temporary solution for unloading containers Sunday, 16 October 2011 14:40 KRALENDIJK — Containers for importers on Bonaire can be unloaded but must be stalled at the importer, as this can no longer be done at the pier. “A time-consuming matter, which the importer is not happy with either,” says Eugenio de Jongh of freight transporter Don Andres.

“Albert Heijn received six containers this morning. As their building is under construction, there’s no space to stall those containers. They were very angry about this and placing the containers along the roadside could lead to dangerous traffic situations.”
    During summary proceedings last week, the pier was allotted to Bonaire Beta Corporation (BBC), who wants to build a shopping center there. Although the former Board of Governors had already taken a positive decision on the allotment of the pier, construction was only possible with a permit and the latter was not available yet. However, in the summary proceedings, BBC was put in the right because the government had not forwarded a defense. The latter will now have to appeal to a higher court. A lawyer from Don Andres will speak with the Board of Governors on Tuesday because this temporary solution will take considerable time. “We can unload the containers but are not allowed to stall them on the pier in the meantime and we can hardly turn on the road we are allowed to use now.”

Bruce & Michael.

It is indeed a debacle that is becoming an embarrassment.

From what I understand, inroads are currently being made into bringing legal action against the Government for failing to represent its electorate. This in turn should at least temporarily halt the development.

The pier in question does not belong to the Government of Bonaire. They have no legal right to sell it or lease it. It was funded by the EU for the sole purpose of providing a roll on/roll off container dock.

I am not against progress or development but progress should benefit all. Maybe a shopping mall would benefit Bonaire but the provision for imports & exports is far more important for the infrastructure of the island.

The only possible solution would be to build another commercial dock, maybe in the North near BOPEC. When that is complete & operational, then develop the town pier for tourist use.

Of course, permission should be granted by the EU and the new dock would have to be funded by the private sector so in essence, they would pay for the new commercial dock which would stay in control of the initial benefactors (the EU) and the original pier would be handed over to the private consortium.

My guess is that the current deal that the BBC have will be far cheaper than the alternative.....
    My names still Antony without the 'H'

While I have heard that the EU financed the construction (don't know if that's true) that doesn't mean the EU owns it. I'd guess they acted as a bank to the island. I don't think the judge would have ruled in favor of the developer if the underlying lease was not legal. But I'm just speculating.

I should run down and take a picture. What was the container storage area now has a fence around it, and there is just a small "road" off the pier. Containers are parked along this road, and the container trucks can just squeeze through to the turn around where they can load and unload the ship.

If this land was legally leased and the lessee does not want to lease it for container storage, then the government must come up with an alternative container storage area nearby, and quickly, maybe at the Stadium? Needs to be secured and have a surface laid so the containers don't sink into the mud. BOPEC is not a real option, as it is too far from town, will take years to build, and the seas there are much rougher than in the harbor so the risk of losing a container is higher.

We were wondering about this last week. We were at the Shore Residence and had a great view for almost 2 weeks then had containers parked along the road for a couple days.
    So the fenced area by the southern dock (where the Dona Luisa was docked) is where the mall is supposed to be built?

Yes, it's that part of the south pier that is in dispute.