Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shortie or full length wetsuit?

We go in mid-December and find the water to be about 81F over the past three years. I always wear my full 3/2 mm jumpsuit since I get cold easily -- my dive buddies think I need to eat more. Even after they've seen me eat! My wife enjoys a 1 mm suit with a chicken vest for night dives. Better to have some neoprene protection than get cold.

I've been to Bonaire 5 times now and have gone without a wetsuit on at least one boat dive on the last 3 visits. For shore diving you need the protection from the rocks and such but if you're not cold, boat dives without a suit can be done. Then again, I dive up in the Northeast in a dry suit so I'm acclimated to cold water!

I used a full 3/2 suit on the first trips but have changed to a 3/2 shorty that I got last year. The shorty is definitely easier to put on. On this last trip I used the full suit on a night dive on the salt pier. I only did one boat trip and that was "suitless".

I am a shorts and t-shirt guy and get cold after more than about 3 dives/day. My brother freezes in a shorty (he uses a full and a beannie).

The water temp right now is 82 (with a slight thermocline at 80 FSW) by my computer.

A few other thoughts:
    a) As others have noted, a full can give you some protections from falls and such.
    b) You can easily spend three or four hours a day in the water here. That is hard to do in Coz.
    c) You might get colder night diving -- something that is again easier to do here.

We were on Bonaire in July and I dove the second half of the week in swim trunks and a long sleeve rashguard. Have been the end of December/first of January and a 3 mil was nice. We'll be back in January and I'll be packing two 3 mil suits, I like to put on a dry suit after lunch.

Thanks for the details re water temps! Hope it stays warm for our Nov trip

Default water temps

J&G, the water temps should be just as warm, if not warmer than it was in Grand Cayman back in May. Have a great trip

Nestor & Carol

Thanks Nestor - you may remember me 'all wrapped and hooded up' on the boats in GC ?!! Pity we won't be catching up with you & Carol ; hope all is well ??
    Take care now - G & J