Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shortie or full length wetsuit?

Default Water temp during end of Jan early Feb.

Hi

We are going to Bonaire for two weeks at the end of January for snorkling. I was just wondering how warm will the water be and should we use wetsuits. I currently have a 4mil farmer john which I have worn in the Galapagos for snorkling. Glad I had it the water there was a bit cold. I can't tolerate cold water very well. I am looking to get a 2mil shorty will this be warm enough during that time of the year? THanks

crusinorloosin

Default shortie or full length wetsuit

If you are going snorkelling for 2 weeks in bonaire and get overheated, I would wear a full length lycra skin. I actually wear the same to dive with. It will not over heat you but will give you good UV protection from the hot sun. I snorkelled in Puerto Rico a couple years ago with just shorts and came out with a nasty sun burn on my back and legs. Even a bandana will help if you are folicly challenged. They lycra suits are also easier to pack then a wetsuit.

will add my 2cents. always where a full suit. sometimes a skin that is polypro something--it supposedly has thermal protection of 2mil without the added buoyancy. dive with it and snorkel with especially good for summer use. in the winter on bonaire i use a 3mil suit and it works great. i use to only use a lycra skin but i am older now, not wiser just older.....and i guess colder....
    snorkeling i almost always just use the skin. it is as mentioned mostly for safety and piece of mine.
    Bob

Default Dive Skin

I absolutely roast in a wetsuit, full or short, so I wear a full dive skin to protect from jellies and coral stings. When in Bonaire, I dive 3-4 times a day and after a week, haven't felt cold. Did the same in Cozumel, Grand Cayman, etc. The only time I have needed a suit was in Lake Jocassee, SC (deep, spring-fed lake) and I wore a shortie. However, I live up north and wear short sleeved shirts year round. My husband dives with a full 3 mm wetsuit and gets hot from time to time in Bonaire. If you normally wear one, it is better to have it on and unzip to add cool water than to get cold on a dive. Have fun!!

I'm the total opposite - I get cold just looking at the water LOL !!

I always wear my 5mm full hyperstretch suit even when the water temp. is 82-84 F !!

TankHalfFull is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Hubby and I wear shorties with skins underneath top and bottom. Aside from protecting from stings in the water, the skins also provide sun protection topside. Skinny son with no body fat wears a full wetsuit and skin! We find wearing a beanie on our heads helps the most with possible chill--but wound up not wearing them in August because it was so warm!
    I know the local dive shops stock the beanies if you'd have trouble finding one at home.

My understanding is that the water temp. in January is around 79degC is this true? My joints don't like cold water so I guess I will have to consider either a full wet suit or a shorty with with a full skin under. Any comments?

Quote Originally Posted by crusinorloosin View Post
    My understanding is that the water temp. in January is around 79degF is this true? My joints don't like cold water so I guess I will have to consider either a full wet suit or a shorty with with a full skin under. Any comments?
    OOPs I meant deg.F not C

I get cold very quickly - we are taking our first trip to BON mid-November .... usually wear full 5mm suit + hood, and other 'layers' under the wetsuit ....that is for Cayman diving where i think the water is a bit warmer ?? Will i be cold in BON?

Oct., and Nov. are the warmest water temps of the year. Last two wks of Oct. last year were in the 83-85F ranges.