Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shortie or full length wetsuit?

ChrisnKim is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Default Shortie or full length wetsuit?

We've dived Cozumel many times with either a shortie or a bathing suit/t- shirt combo in the past, and that was fine temperature wise for at least two dives.

Wondering how the temps compare in Bonaire - is a full wetsuit recommended?

I have to say full, I have both and rarely wear for shorty. It is so nice to have the extra protection for some of those iron shore entry/exits. I have actually overheated in a full 3mm but it easy to open the front to cool back down. If you are an air seeper then you do not want to get cold, nothing worse than calling a dive for cold.

The water will be about as warm as it get while you are there. YMMV.
    and Joe said, Far from the things of Man.

I have to agree with Cecil about the full suit...... even if you are a warm blooded person the protection even a 1 mil gives you is totally needed..

the firecoral can be in shallow water and the footing is not always the greatest.

talking about footing Please make sure your booties have hard soles... the iron shore is treacherous...
    Freddie

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.

DeputyDan is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

We always wear a full wetsuit and it has nothing to do with temperature.

jellies - fire coral - iron shore - etc....

tursiops is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

+1 on all the full-suit comments. There are lots of reasons to wear a full-suit than just warmth.

I wear a 3mm for morning and evening dives, and usually a 1mm for boat or afternoon dives. Both give the protection, but I get a little colder without the sun before and after, even though the water is the same day/night. The 1mm for boat dives is because those dives get capped at an hour or so, but shore dives are up to me and my buddy, if I have one.

It is also nice to not always be putting on a wet wetsuit!
    Mel Briscoe, Alexandria, Virginia

ChrisnKim is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Default full wetsuit

Hmmmm...great points. Not sure if I'll even fit in my full length suit anymore.

Time to diet or find some sales. Yikes on both.

Default the other side of the street

Well..... i see most people like a full, we used to bring both and never used the full. So they have been staying home the last couple trips. I get so heated up with the 85-90 degree days that its a welcome cool off. Even though the water temp will be 86 in a couple weeks from now, its almost that now i hear. Diving two or three dives a day for a week straight, ive never been cold in Bonaire...... They are probably right about the little jellies but we have always been ok.....ohhh, now ive done it!
    We dove Coz many times and always wore 3mm full suits, of course we went there in spring usually....too bad what Wilma did to Coz, it was unbelievable before that hurricane....i think the waters a little cooler in coz, especially in april...
    Enjoy!
    my two cents :fishswim:

The missus and I returned from BON a few weeks ago. We brought both shorties & full wetsuits. We never used the fulls. I dove my shorty (3M I believe) with a compression shirt for added protection. After a nasty rough-up at Angel City on our first day, my wife wore her skin under her shorty for all subsequent dives. 82-84 every day and never got chilled. Even on the 4th dive of the day, and even at night. And we're warm-water divers so have no cold tolerance.

Default ha!

told ya!
    Were comin in 34 days!!!! woo hoo.....shorties only!

We rarely do dives less than 60 minutes so 3mm full for us.
    Brian Lowe