Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dining in

Default Dining in

On our recent trip we had a house with a kitchen and cooked most of the time. I wanted to share the way we did this since we found it to be very convenient while still being very economical.

We purchased partially prepared meals (marinated steaks, chicken japan - marinated cut up chicken breasts with vegetables, etc) from Bonaire Warehouse. This was an easy way to make a meal; just add rice, potatoes or other side dish.

Bonaire Warehouse also had some babyback ribs with a rub/marinade on it. We grilled those and they were excellent. Different than Bobbejans ribs which have a sweet glaze like chinese style ribs but they were much meatier and about half the price. If you have access to a grill then do try these!

Good information-we will be moving to Bonaire soon, and I wasn't sure about the variety of foods I would find at a market there. Hopefully the fresh produce will all be things I recognize.

Quote Originally Posted by jessicalovely View Post
    Good information-we will be moving to Bonaire soon, and I wasn't sure about the variety of foods I would find at a market there. Hopefully the fresh produce will all be things I recognize.
    Jessica.

There will be much more choice on island soon. At the moment their are two major supermarkets (Cultimara & Warehouse) which sell international, American & European products. In addition, there are many smaller stores dotted around the island, the largest of which is More 4 Less that has a lot of fresh produce from South America.

In November a new Albert Heijn supermarket is to open which will possibly blow the others out of the water. It will have a bakery, butchers & food hall & should be competitive on price as they have stores on Curacao.
    My names still Antony without the 'H'

Do you know where the new supermarket will be located?

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

I believe it's close to Kaya Industria. Building has started.
    I've met the owner Gerard van den Tweel a couple of weeks ago on Bonaire.
    The investment will be $ 20 million. The supermarket will employ 50 people.
    He will start a wholesale company too. And a bakery and butchery.

Default New Supermarket

Location, coming from the airport at the first roundabout first right you are on the Kaya Industria, straight ahead, just before you approach the next roundabout, it is on the left side.

Overlooking Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire and "VINIBU" on Bonaire

Building/construction appears to be moving at a rapid pace. From what I heard, estimated time to completion is end of Nov beginning Dec. It should be much better than anything currently on island.
    "Life is good, And on Bonaire, It's even better!"

Owner of VINIBU

Quote Originally Posted by DiverVince View Post
    It should be much better than anything currently on island.
    I guess that depends on how you define "better." Bonaire is special because it is NOT Curacao or Aruba (or any of the other, developed Caribbean islands). With a chain grocery store on the island, what is next? Hyatt or Marriott? High rises and Louis Vuitton stores?

I hope prices will be affordable for everyone (not just the wealthy Dutch and American tourists and property owners who don't depend on an island wage to live day-to-day).
    Cheers,
    Liz

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

There is an Albert Heijn at Curacao. It opened in 2007 Soon a 2nd will be opened.
    In the beginning only Dutch people went there. Now a big part of the clients is local.
    If you look at the product of Warehouse, at lot of products are labeled "Jumbo". That's from a big dutch supermarket chain too.

It will be interesting to see this new supermarket. I hope they don't make it Americanized, I hate when countries do that. Yes, it may be more convenient for me, an American, to shop there, but part of the charm of a foreign country is their unique lifestyle, learning that my way isn't the only way, or necessarily the best way of doing things. I guess I'll find out soon!