Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The wonderful place I stayed

Default The wonderful place I stayed

Hello all.
    Not sure how I missed this website when I planned my recent first trip to Bonaire. I just wanted to share my recent experience at an amazing place (http://www.bonairebeachcombervillas.com/).

We really lucked into finding this place after the VRBO we planned on staying at got booked. This is a new place that was just recently posted. With no reviews on VRBO and little info about the place we booked with the thoughts that the price was right and we were there for the diving and only needed a bed. Even if the website was full of lies and half truths, we would have a place to sleep. Boy were we in for a shock!

Upon arrival we were floored with how nice the place was. I got chills as they showed us around. It was so much more than we could ever ask for! The location is great. It is a short walk to cpt Donís habitat with unobstructed access to the sea. Tim and Leanne (the owners and residents of the first floor) were excellent hosts that took care of all our wants. We got attention that I do not believe one can get from the big resorts.

The owners are divers and the place is setup to accommodate this. Drying racks, rinse areas, locked gear storage, and a true house reef make this place special. They understand that divers are rough on a place and seems truly care that you are happy and enjoying yourself. Every day that made sure our lives were easy and happy. Any questions or requests we had were promptly answered. We asked if they knew where any sea horses were at. Leanne did an internet search that night and printed off all references to seahorse sightings over the past three weeks waiting on our door. This led us right to a PAIR of them. Awesome. They even got us a tarp for our poor little car we rented to try and keep it less skanky from all the wet dive gear. It was service like this that really pushed this place over the edge. I have tons and tons of little stories like this about the little things they did that made a huge difference.

I do not believe that we could have found a better place for 3-4 times the amount we paid. This place is wonderful and Tim and Leanne are great people. If you had your own vacation rental in Bonaire, this is what it would be like.

I can say that I highly and fully recommend them without any hesitations.

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Thanks for an excellent report & recommendation, diverdown. Good to hear you enjoyed your first visit to Bonaire as much as we all do !!
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

My wife and I had the pleasure of meeting Tim & Leanne while staying across the street @ Hamlet Oasis. Wonderful folks and a great place to stay. Good chance we'll try to stay with them on the next rip.

Sorry, i was going through my phone pictures and had to add this great pic that sums the place up nicely. How can you beat having this on your own balcony. No walking through a resort or paying out the nose for it. Every time i think about it, I am just so happy and amazed we found this place.

Default looks wonderful

that looks like a wonderful place! my family and I have stayed at the Sand Dollar the two times we have visited, but we have thought of trying someplace new. Is this really a couples place or would two girls, 18 and 15, (who are, if i do say so myself, wonderful teens!) also be comfortable there?

Quote Originally Posted by diverdown View Post
    Sorry, i was going through my phone pictures and had to add this great pic that sums the place up nicely. How can you beat having this on your own balcony. No walking through a resort or paying out the nose for it. Every time i think about it, I am just so happy and amazed we found this place.
    Where is this place? Can you give me more details?

Quote Originally Posted by Beth View Post
    Where is this place? Can you give me more details?
    If you are familiar with the island, It is pretty much right beside capt dons habitat. I was told that it was part of group of houses capt don built way back when. I think he still owns a few of them.

Quote Originally Posted by maryw View Post
    that looks like a wonderful place! my family and I have stayed at the Sand Dollar the two times we have visited, but we have thought of trying someplace new. Is this really a couples place or would two girls, 18 and 15, (who are, if i do say so myself, wonderful teens!) also be comfortable there?
    Well, I am pretty ignorant when it comes to kids. Are you talking about them staying there by themselves or with you?

When i stayed there we stayed in the one bedroom room. I should have asked to see room with two beds but i did not.

What do a 18 and 15 year old do on a vacation to bonaire? I would imagine they would enjoy the structure of a resort more as they work harder to entertain people. I am so ignorant of the needs of teens. All i know if what i see on MTV..... LOL If you tell me what your girls look for in a vacation maybe I would be better able to answer your question.

We walked over to capt dons a couple nights for drinks and some of their presentations but most of our time was spent diving and resting. I am never one who likes to just stay in one place. I want to explore as much of a location as possible. This is one of the reasons i never stay at all inclusives because i seldom use any of the provided services. Why do people travel to far away tropical places to sit by a pool and drink. I can do that at home for a lot less money!

Ask me any questions and i will be happy to answer them to the best of my abilities. I was also really impressed with the owners of this place. I found them to be very honest about the themselves and what they can/do provide. They care a lot about you and your experience. I believe that after they speak with a possible client, they would be very honest and happy to let you know if they thought it would be a good fit or not. We spoke with them at length most nights. They summed up their situation very nicely for us. They are doing this because they enjoy it and want to share it with others. Yes money changes hands, but secondary. They really are looking for people who will enjoy themselves and the place. It is such a simple but shocking idea to find these days, but WOW does it make a difference.

thanks for the input. We would all be staying there together. And what do we do when there, we snorkle several times a day, explore the island - National Park and all - and just enjoy living there for a week. We don't go in search of a hopping night life, we find the island just a great place to be!

then yes I do think it would be a great place for you. This location is way cheaper than the resorts and has its own great house reef. While diving there we saw a few snorkelers. It would be great because the entry is easy and the kids could snorkel at any time and you could still see them from the kitchen.

I found the house reef (the cliffs) to be pretty private. As the entry is a walkway behind these houses, it seemed like people did not bother and went to a simpler dive site. I would be very comfortable to let my kids (that i do not have) snorkel unattended in this area. lol