PDA

View Full Version : Dive-Site Thieves Caught

tursiops
07-10-2020, 02:15 PM
Finally!

https://bonaire.nu/2020/07/10/vier-jonge-volwassenen-veroordeeld-voor-diefstal-bij-duikplaats/

smits
07-10-2020, 03:07 PM
That's good news!

thom
07-10-2020, 04:24 PM
2 weeks probation
40 hours community service

Figure they were involved in more than 100 thefts before being caught. One must wonder, what's the point?

ChrisL
07-10-2020, 09:13 PM
Restitution?

tkaelin
07-11-2020, 08:30 AM
Perhaps even more striking is the lead in sentence - thefts from dive sites more than doubled from the year before. Wow and clearly things are going in the wrong direction unless there is some other reason for the numbers to double.

MelE
07-11-2020, 09:10 AM
I wouldnít draw any conclusions from so little information in that article. Did we go from 2 thefts to 4 thefts or 20 to 40? Also, I wonder what is being stolen. Iíve been told every single time I rent a truck not to leave anything valuable in it while diving and leave the doors unlocked at dive sites. Are people bringing their phones to dive sites or cameras or is their lunch being taken? I would be mad if my scuba snacks were gone when I got back to the surface but luckily Iíve never had anything stolen from a shore dive site.

petri hausmann
07-11-2020, 09:42 AM
cameras-cash-phones -anything that can be sold on the black market and everything else the divers should have left safely in their accomodation.

hallerdodd
07-12-2020, 04:27 AM
Stolen at Tori's Reef a while back: a package of cheese crackers and a small container of baby powder. Total value about $3. They kindly left our towels.

randl
07-12-2020, 09:29 PM
Ok, stolen at Karpata a while back, a pair of Reef flip-flops (I liked those flip-flops) and a half-gallon size soft plastic cooler that held ice packs cooling Bonaire-water in oft-reused plastic bottles. Scoundrels.

They kindly left our towels and t-shirts.

tkaelin
07-13-2020, 04:10 PM
Up 31 from 2018 making 2019 more than double so at least 62 in 2019 or more than every week on average.

mervynt
07-14-2020, 09:27 AM
Just out of interest, did those people on this forum who have had stuff stolen from dive sites actually report it to the police? I would assume that the unofficial number is quite a bit higher as people probably don't want to waste valuable vacation time at a police station reporting a $3 theft or other non-valuable items.

tkaelin
07-14-2020, 09:50 AM
My last post was not suggest or create a thread that dive site crime is rampant and in general I agree that the story was limited and did not provide sufficient detail to really be meaningful. The reporting of a statistical increase without more is not helpful. I do take issue with the the 2 to 4 example which anyone who knows anything about Bon and dive site theft knows that such an example with such low numbers is equally unhelpful.

thom
07-14-2020, 11:02 AM
I haven't reported thefts. We don't leave anything of value still, our mesh bags have been stolen along with some worthless t-shirts. The mesh bags come from WalMart, about $5 and last about one trip. Of course that misses the point entirely. Blaming the victim because Bonaire gives petty theft a pass isn't cool though much of the US does the same. Of course it is foolish to leave valuables in your unattended vehicle at a dive site but, that is a separate issue.

randl
07-14-2020, 09:45 PM
Like thom, we didn't report the theft of the flip-flops and the little water cooler. That post was a bit of tongue in cheek. That day at Karpata there was quite a crowd when we left the truck and we were suprised at the chutzpah of someone grabbing stuff presumably with others around.

But dive site theft is a pain and we all know it. We all know to leave the windows down and to leave nothing we care about. But each time I walk away from the truck I think about the towels and shirts, and sometimes I put the flip flops in my BC pocket.

We did report the theft of the entire truck in '93 from Tolo (Ole' Blue, at the time). Had to walk to the radio station to call police and it took hours. The truck was found a few days latter in a desolate area, with a good sized dent and a broken wing window. They took our RayBans but tossed the towels and a cheap transistor radio. It was our first Bonaire trip and we foolishly locked the truck with worthwhile booty inside.