PDA

View Full Version : Septic Fees and Policies

tholland
08-14-2017, 10:02 PM
Hello dear Bonaire-ians !

We now live several months a year on Bonaire! Yeah!
We spent five months this year here and love it!

We have a question for all you experienced home/condo owners...
about SEPTIC systems and emptying them....

We found two companies for this.

One company was charging $46
to clean our septic. We had to have it cleaned out about 4X/year.
(four apartments sharing one large septic tank)

We tried the other company, they said $42 for 'half emptying' the septic,
and $84 for emptying the entire septic (counts as 2X septic services according
to their recent bill).

When company A was cleaning out the tank, I could never see the bottom
after they were done...but when company B did the job (for double the price....)
I could see the bottom of the septic tank!

So... is it normal to have your septic tank only half emptied for about $42-$46 ?
Or perhaps it's more normal to pay 2X and have the entire tank emptied?
Or should both companies have emptied the entire tank for the $42-$46 ???

Just wondering if the septic companies are being above board/honest or perhaps taking advantage of a 'newbie' owner?

Many thanks in advance for any perspectives/experiences/suggestions/insights!

Anthony

smits
08-15-2017, 03:11 AM
It's been a long time ago that I had a septic tank.
What I remember about the emptying is that it should not be emptied completely. A little residue should stay, because it contains bacteria that take care that the degradation process is resumed rapidly.

jenns
08-15-2017, 09:48 AM
I had my septic tank cleaned for the first time over three years ago. The cleaning company would not break the original concrete lid so another company did that and made a metal lid. I have had the tank cleaned about a year ago by the $42 company and they emptied it totally. They were very professional and cleaned up any "mess" that was made. So much better than my experience here in the USA!i

Kate B
08-15-2017, 02:23 PM
Hi Anthony,

We pay $42.50 to have two of the four chambers of our septic tank pumped.

We've owned a home here for two years and our four chamber septic tank was cleaned every 90 days when we used to rent the house to vacation renters before we moved into it. On our tank, we have a pump attached to the fourth (cleanest) chamber that irrigates our landscape hose system with gray water. So, our septic tank company charges $42.50 and only empties the first two (dirtiest) chambers and leaves the last two so that we always have gray water. Our septic tank didn't come this way, we had a pump installed on the fourth chamber after our gardener told us it would save money on our water bill and by needing the tank pumped less often. It's worked great for us.

All the best,
Kate

tholland
08-16-2017, 07:37 PM
Thanks! Great info! Very helpful!