PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone moved to Bonaire with a Pet from the US?

TanyaD
10-11-2016, 10:29 AM
Has anyone moved to Bonaire with a Pet from the US? Just wanted to ask a few questions on whats needed, etc.

susan
10-12-2016, 08:37 AM
Hi Tanya,

Perhaps this might help you: https://www.infobonaire.com/visiting-bonaire-with-your-pet/

CatharinaB
10-25-2016, 08:20 AM
Hi Tanya,

I have traveled with my dog a few times from USA to Bonaire and may be able to answer your questions.

purple trainwreck
11-30-2017, 06:04 PM
Hi Tanya,

I have traveled with my dog a few times from USA to Bonaire and may be able to answer your questions.

Catharina I am hoping to move in Jan 2018 and need to know if my dog need the USDA APHID documents. I have done a lot of research and there is not a definitive answer. I am in the process of asking the Consulate, I would appreciate any info. Thanks

Chris-Chicago
12-26-2017, 11:34 AM
We are investigating moving 2 dogs too large to put in carry on bags. So far research recommends finding a special carrier but they don't seem to do much other than hand the dog to the airlines and charge you $1,000. Watching the thread to see what others have to say on safely transporting a 100lb and a 35lb dog via any of the airlines going from USA to Bonaire (Houston, Atlanta, Miami) We would be taking a direct flight from USA to Bonaire to limit transfers.

bonairehomes
03-05-2018, 04:43 PM
Chris -

The smartest thing for you to do is contact the airlines directly and see what they say. Every airline is a little different. All of the US airlines now serving Bonaire from the US are flying 737's which have pressurized cargo spaces and therefore can handle pets being transported as cargo. As of now, i believe all of the airlines serving Bonaire are requiring people to ship dogs as cargo unless they fit in the cabin, or ARE SERVICE DOGS. This normally means that in the US you are dropping off your dog at the Airlines CARGO facility and then going to the airport to check in. Check in times for your pet to be dropped off at the cargo facility are often longer than human check in, sometimes 6 hours or more before departure. This also means that you pet may or may not be on the same flight as you.

Airlines also have rules about taking pug nosed dogs like bulldogs or pugs as they sometimes have breathing problems when being shipped. There are also maximum/miniature temperature limits on shipping pets. It used to be that they wouldn't ship pets if the temps were either too hot or too cold. Normally, Bonaire is very close to being too hot to ship pets in or out.

As i said, every airline has different rules and costs, so check with them, and choose the best one for you and your pet.