PDA

View Full Version : Used Truck Purchase on Bonaire?

tholland
06-10-2016, 03:17 PM
Hello Bonaire Lovers!

Where could be purchase a reliable used truck on Bonaire?

Thanks for any tips!

Anthony

TheAlek
06-13-2016, 04:29 AM
As I am relocating to Bonaire in a months time, I've been wondering the same.

I got in touch with AB Car Rental after getting a tip that they sell their former rental trucks. There's also a used car dealer with a website, called BoCar Bonaire. If you want to buy from private individuals, theres the website BonSale; as well as '4 Sale Bonaire' (a monthly for-sale pdf magazine).

I hope my tips are not in breach with the rules for this forum. :)

mpement
06-16-2016, 11:32 AM
We searched for a reliable used truck and realized two things. First, the value of a used truck remains high and so the price reflects the limited availability. Second, any truck that has been used for rental in the dive industry (for even a relatively short time) is rusted to the point of no return and is unsafe. Suspension, frame, doors and floor not to mention bumpers, tailgate and bed. We bought a new truck and tried to keep the salt water rinsed off after every dive, but after a few years it too is on it's last leg. Good Luck.

DSearle
06-16-2016, 04:12 PM
There's also a page on facebook called Bonaire Cars 4-Sale. mpement is right; you will find inflated prices and lots of rust.
Some people I know tell me they have saved money by purchasing in the States and shipping. It's probably worth checking out. If you have owned a vehicle for more than six months before moving to Bonaire, there's no import duty. (Please check with your cargo service to be sure this hasn't changed).