PDA

View Full Version : Jobs, local economy and real estate market trends

CMarcot
04-24-2016, 11:30 AM
Hi,
What is the job market like in Bonaire (laborer or professional) for a successful professional who only speaks english currently residing in US? Looking to relocate to Bonaire applying for residency under person with own means "retired" but may find I would like to work again down the road.

Also, currently what is the economy like in Bonaire? I see many new housing developments as I look at realtor websites - what is the real estate market like with regards to purchasing a home under $225K? Are market prices at a low or high over the last 5 years?

Thank you so much for any insight!
CMarcot

TheAlek
04-25-2016, 07:10 AM
(sorry CMarcot for partially hijacking the thread)

I would also like to know what the labour market is like on the island. I will be relocating to Bonaire with my wife, and whereas I have a job (is why we are moving), she does not have a job when she arrives.

She's a successful sales person with an MBA and fluency in English and a handful other languages (Russian, Turkish, Kyrgyz and currently looking at learning Spanish) with proven results. What is the chances to get a job for her?

kob
04-29-2016, 06:25 PM
Several questions here ... the real estate market is firming compared to the last several years .... in fact, Marriott is opening a Courtyard Resort later this year and it looks great.

Regarding jobs ... I also came as a "penshonado" (retired person) ... if you own a home or have a long-term (one year) lease on a home and some savings, you should have no problem getting residency. There is a fair bit of paperwork, but if you are Dutch or American, the process is pretty simple. If you have another nationality, just a bit more paperwork, but not overly difficult. In addition, if you are Dutch or American, you no longer need a work permit. If you are another nationality and come as a "penshonado", then you don't get a work permit. BUT ... you can form a small company and, as the owner (director), you don't need a work permit to get paid legally.

I did all of the above before the law was changed for Americans (i.e. came as penshonado, formed a company and got paid legally). Hope this helps.

CMarcot
04-30-2016, 11:35 AM
Thank you kob! I appreciate our insight.