PDA

View Full Version : Over wintering = free health care?

ppartlo
12-30-2014, 12:01 AM
Can anyone explain how overwintering visitors manage to obtain free health care and an ID card?
That just seems very generous of the government to cover health care expenses for visitors who are generating no tax revenue for the island as they continue to maintain full US or Canadian residency...doesn't sound very smart or sustainable.

ModCecil
12-30-2014, 10:16 AM
I would not worry about it free health care on Bonaire is not a lot of money. Last I heard a broke leg is $100 or thereabouts to fix :) :).

ppartlo
12-30-2014, 10:26 AM
Now that is a bargain!

kob
12-31-2014, 06:39 PM
I believe the Dutch health care comes with residency (i.e. having a sedula). Do you get a sedula with the overwintering visa? When we became residents, we had to show our sedulas and our immigration letter from IND to the health care office to get coverage.

bonairehomes
01-02-2015, 05:03 PM
I am pretty certain that the overwintering visa DOES NOT include free health care since if you are overwintering you are not subject to paying income taxes or any other taxes.

ModCecil is right is that the out of pocket medical care here is usually quite reasonable and on the order of $100 for broken leg. The costs are not like in the US. You can also buy prescription drugs for very good prices without being a resident. Anyway, most procedures are less than paying for the insurance. Please check with you current medical insurance as they will often cover you when "traveling", but there is usually a limit on staying in one place for more than 60 or 90 days, which changes you from a traveler to a "resident". Check with your insurance provider.