PDA

View Full Version : CDW & "All In" Coverage with Rental Car Companies Question

Lori
11-23-2014, 03:28 PM
Can someone please clarify this for me. We are renting with Total and per their website, the rental price for a pickup truck is as follows:
$40/day
CDW daily $11
All-In Daily $61

What is the "All-In Daily"? It is my understanding that all vehicles licensed on the island must have liability insurance so I am wondering if I should ONLY be taking the CDW at $11/day over the cost of the rental. Is the "All-In" liability insurance? I am wondering if the additional $10/day for the "All-In" (to bring the price up to $61/day) is liability insurance and a waste of my money since I believe that the rental agency must already have liability coverage on the vehicle.

Thanks for your insight.

wwguy
11-23-2014, 06:05 PM
Hi Lori. "All-In" means inclusive of all fees and taxes etc. You are correct that liability insurance is provided by the rental company, so the cost is already built into the daily rental fee.

The taxes and other fees below are detailed on Total's "terms & conditions" web page.

$40.00 daily rental fee
$11.00 daily CDW insurance
$4.50 daily car rental tax
$2.55 airport concession fee (5% of daily rental + CDW)
$3.06 (6% sales tax on rental + CDW)
-------------------------------------
$61.11 total daily rental cost (a.k.a. "All-In")

Lori
11-24-2014, 09:32 PM
wwguy--Thank you for the interpretation/explanation!

Lori
11-27-2014, 11:43 PM
I thought I would post this in case others were wondering the same thing. I e-mailed Total and they promptly replied as follows:

"16 days CDW insurance will cost including taxes US$ 195.89"

So this translates into the following:

$11.00 CDW
+00.66 6% sales tax
$11.66 Subtotal
+0.583 5% airport concession fee on CDW and sales tax
$12.243 per day for CDW including taxes and airport concession fee
X-----16 days
$195.888 TOTAL CDW INCLUDING TAXES FOR 16 DAYS

wwguy
11-28-2014, 06:27 PM
I hear you loud and clear and feel your pain. We rent for 3 weeks on our winter holiday trips. We've also been doing a 1 week trip mid-year for the past couple of years. For a 3 week rental the CDW total is more than a week's rental rate. Put another way: It's cheaper for us to rent for 4 weeks without CDW than it is for 3 weeks with CDW.

Our solution: We rent from a company (currently Telerin) that accepts our American Express credit card and allows us to decline the rental company's CDW coverage. We then opt in to American Express's Premium Car Rental Protection (https://www295.americanexpress.com/premium/car-rental-insurance-coverage/home.do)insurance coverage. A one-time flat fee of $24.95 each time we rent provides primary collision, theft, and damage coverage up to $100,000 with no deductible. Unlike other credit card auto insurance policies this coverage includes pickup trucks too, which is great for Bonaire's unique dive truck rental fleet. The only catch is that this is our insurance, rather than the rental company's, so we might have to fork over money to cover repairs until reimbursed by American Express when the claim is approved.