PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Hamlet #9

diamond
05-10-2014, 08:55 AM
Needing a 5+ bedroom, ocean front with good snorkeling/diving. I am familiar with The Cliff and this area. This property looks good but I am concerned about safety. Does Hamlet have security at night? About the villa: does it have air conditioning in the kitchen/living area?
Thank you.

wwguy
05-10-2014, 01:58 PM
The Hamlet complex is a mixture of different properties with a diverse blend of owners. There's no organized or sponsored communal security personnel in the complex. Beachcomber Villas and Coral Paradise both have resident owners providing full time security presence for their guests. Hamlet Oasis Resort and Dive Friends Bonaire staff lock the doors and go home at 4:30 or 5:00 PM. The northern gate is locked at 4:30 PM each day by DFB staff when they leave for the day. The automated southern gate is usually open around the clock, for reasons unknown to me.

One of the reasons we've enjoyed the 10 weeks we've spent at Beachcomber Villas (Hamlet #11) over the years is the added security of our 2nd floor accommodations above 1st floor resident owners. You might be interested in this report (http://www.bonairetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?75053-2-Calls-to-Police-in-24-Hours) regarding a series of burglaries at several Hamlet properties, all on the same night. I found it interesting that only tourist-occupied vacation rental properties were targeted. There are quite a few owner-occupied properties in the complex that were bypassed by the thieves. The owners are a diverse blend of Dutch, Americans, and Canadians, so I find it hard to suspect collusion etc. I think the thieves just know where the easier pickings are. For what it's worth this type of crime is rare in the Hamlet area and surprised even the full-time residents in the complex.

With electricity rates on Bonaire around $0.40/KWh I'll be surprised if you can find 5 bedroom tourist accommodations with central air conditioning.

diamond
05-12-2014, 08:44 AM
Not looking for central air conditioning as I am familiar with their wall mounted systems, just wondering if there are Hamlet Villas oceanfront with a wall mount in kitchen area?

mpement
05-12-2014, 04:20 PM
Hamlet is a wonderful place and right on the water. But there are others nearby. Hamlet is adjacent to Buddy Dive and across the street from Buddy Dive is http://www.perlaboneriano.com/en/ another very nice place near the ocean.

wwguy
05-12-2014, 04:36 PM
Hamlet is adjacent to Buddy Dive

The last few times I stayed at Hamlet #11 it was still located between Captain Don's Habitat and the WEB water plant. Back then Buddy Dive was located further south, between Sand Dollar and Habitat.

Tom Patch
05-15-2014, 01:28 PM
Hamlet #9 does have an air conditioning unit in the kitchen and another one in the living area.

gman
05-29-2014, 07:35 AM
I can't speak specifically to #9, but have stayed in #10 twice - most recent being early April. I was the one who posted about the break in there while we were asleep one night. To address security, there are 2 entrances to the Hamlet. One gate is closed at night and the other remains open. We NEVER saw it closed. Even if it was closed, there was a button to push so it would open - so not very secure. There were at least 3 burglaries in one night while we were there. I suspect it was the same people on all 3. Because of the nature of the house design, we did not hear the intruders until after they had been in the house for some time. The lock outs, concrete walls, and mini split A/C units in each room drown out noise. With that being said, do not leave valuables where they can be seen by looking in a door/window. Use the safe if you have one, and I would go as far as keeping things like your cameras, electronics, truck keys, etc in your bedroom at night with you (they stole a rental truck that same night from another house). Aside from security, #9 is right there at the Cliff dive site. It is a great site with an easy entry from the house. Dive Friends Bonaire has a store front on-site and we did tank rentals through them. It was more convenient than using Buddy's and priced competitively. Crime is bad...no lie about that. Don't let your guard down.