PDA

View Full Version : Where do expats meet in Bonaire?

Diederik
04-20-2014, 08:28 PM
We don't live on Bonaire yet, but will be spending more and more time there. Construction of our house will start next week!

We travel with our 12 year old son. I have heard that there are a lot of American kids on Bonaire. Is there a place where the expats meet? Or some other way to get to know (some of) them? We just spend a very busy week on Bonaire, but we will be back in July/August for 3 weeks

MikeTruesdell
04-21-2014, 02:15 PM
We just finished our house in Sabadeco. We will be there in July also. It seems as a lot of Americans go to Paradise moon on Fridays around 6 pm. The owners of paradise moon are from Texas. Bob from remax is usually there also. Hope your construction goes as good as ours did.
Mike and Cindy

Gmichael
04-21-2014, 02:34 PM
did the pool get finished..how is larrry..phone me if you get a chance 717 4781 795 1474 Michael..

Gmichael
04-21-2014, 02:36 PM
Not that many kids but perhapss if you take a look at www.bonairehelpdesk.com or mail michael@bonairehelpdesk.com I can put you in touch with some families with the right age kids, etc. I am still a kid as well but a bit older than 12

MikeTruesdell
04-21-2014, 08:44 PM
did the pool get finished..how is larrry..phone me if you get a chance 717 4781 795 1474 (tel:717 4781 795 1474) Michael..
I have tried both numbers. What is your skype ? I talk to Larry and are going to see him tomorrow. He has been in hospital for a long stay. Yes all is finished. Where do we find you when get back in June? Talk to you soon.
Mike

Gmichael
04-22-2014, 06:43 AM
bonairena what is yours I am easy to find once you are here..Michael

owajen
09-30-2015, 11:52 AM
Do expats still meet on Fridays at Paradise Moon? My husband and I are visiting next week and would love to talk to a few expats while we are there. We're thinking about moving to Bonaire in the next year or so. If anyone is interested in meeting we'd love to buy you a drink or two and talk.

kob
09-30-2015, 06:23 PM
American expats used to meet at Paradise Moon on Fridays when it was at Harbour Village, then for a short time after it moved to downtown, but not any more. The name was changed to Divers Diver after the ownership change. We're not aware of any regular American expat congregation any more.

Maybe someone else knows something?

petri hausmann
10-01-2015, 05:55 AM
me either -besides there are not many of us around -if you are looking for resident americans many attend The International bible Church- Micheal Gaynor can help as he always can ...

randl
10-01-2015, 08:22 AM
There's a group that used to meet for breakfast at the Caribbean Club - but I can't recall the details better than that. PM me if you want more.

Gmichael
10-01-2015, 12:00 PM
Many of us used to take exception to the term Xpat and now that the Dutch are bound and derermined to recolonize us, it is even more ominous. Currently we are less thin skinned and accept the term to mean a forigner living abroad. See the following: What does it mean to be an ex-pat? To ex-communicate yourself from your own country or take the challenge of living abroad? It sounds rather negative at first but after much research on the internet there is quite a community to help those who take the challenge. For the most part, there is no homogeneous watering hole...there is much to much alcoholism on the island as it is! I have a concierge web site www.bonairehelpdesk.com and we address all the issues. I also am (for now) the US Consular Warden and assist Americans who need help with all sorts of issues.. You can contact me throgh www.Bonairehelpdesk.com and we can Skype. Most important!!! Find a copy of Herman Wouk's book, dont stop the carival and committ to memory! Been here for 32 years and not leaving!!

owajen
10-01-2015, 03:42 PM
Thanks Michael! I appreciate the information and have ordered the book. We'll contact you soon. - Jen & Mark

DSearle
10-07-2015, 03:56 PM
As someone mentioned, a number of American residents of Bonaire attend church at International Bible Church (www.bonaireibc.org (http://www.bonaireibc.org)) where I am the pastor. I'm also American. Our services are conducted in English, and we meet at 9 AM on Sundays. We also have a weekly youth group meeting for teens, conducted in English, which would be a great place for a young person to make a few friends. Most of the teens are either Dutch or Antillean, but they speak English pretty well, and they always love to meet American teens. For more info, you can contact me at doug@bonairehelpdesk.org or 717-8332, or at my skype phone (615)649-4452.

bonairehomes
10-08-2015, 10:41 AM
For those of us who also enjoy a cold beer or two I am always willing to meet for Happy Hour. We used to have "American Happy Hour" on Fridays at Paradise Moon (before it was Divers Diner) before it was sold. Since the owners moved back to the US, there hasn't been a regular meeting place for expat Americans.
If there are enough interested people we could restart it again this tourist season. We just need to pick a place. Any suggestions?

bonairehomes
10-08-2015, 10:43 AM
If you have teenage kids, a good place for them to meet new friends would be at the windsurf place or kite beach, especially if they do either of those sports.

kob
10-08-2015, 02:19 PM
Spice is also popular with the kids

smits
10-08-2015, 03:19 PM
Maybe Karels.
My kids went there regularly

MikeTruesdell
10-08-2015, 06:48 PM
Hey KOB
Spice would be good. Even though I may have to skip the beers it has a new beach next door for the kids. I am not there full time but 33 percent and working on it. Bob can drink mine for me.

Dee
10-09-2015, 12:57 PM
What time is happy hour tonight? hahahaha
I would like to go to Divers Diner and have some of the spicy chicken.

For those of us who also enjoy a cold beer or two I am always willing to meet for Happy Hour. We used to have "American Happy Hour" on Fridays at Paradise Moon (before it was Divers Diner) before it was sold. Since the owners moved back to the US, there hasn't been a regular meeting place for expat Americans.
If there are enough interested people we could restart it again this tourist season. We just need to pick a place. Any suggestions?

JPH
10-25-2015, 01:50 PM
"there is too much alcoholism on the island as it is"...what does that have to do with the question at hand? All drinkers are NOT alcoholics, and yes...people tend to drink more on vacation then they would in their daily routine. And the term Ex-pat...you are the only one I know that puts a "negative" spin on it. It only means to most people, to someone who USED to live in the USA, nothing more, nothing less. Stop the drama Michael, I used to enjoy this site, but have been off it for a long time because i was tired of reading your one way views of Bonaire. Please stop, all people are different and like different things, just because you don't like something, don't ruin it for everyone else.

JPH
10-25-2015, 01:57 PM
I don't know why people don't still go to Diners Diner, the prices are good, the beer is cold. The pizza is as good as Pasa Bon, and not as expensive, you also have a view of the sea. I would hope people would give the new owner a chance, starting a business on this island is not easy, don't penalize them because they are not from the USA. A good portion of American tourists that come to Bonaire are divers, and they named their place "Diners Diner", that shows me that they WANT Americans to come to their place. Whats wrong with that? the old owners were wonderful people, and are missed, but give the place a chance.

petri hausmann
10-25-2015, 02:31 PM
the happy hour has nothing to do with Divers Diner - nor any other place -- there are very few of us expats around right now and simply said we are usually working and are busy with our agenda's. i for one -work until after 6PM Friday's -live in Rincon and don't care to drink and drive. I think Divers Diner is great and recommend it to all island visitors.

kob
10-25-2015, 07:23 PM
Petri is right ... we were at Divers Diner on Friday evening with 4 friends from the US ... Luis, Luis, Derek & the team do a nice job ... food was good, prices are reasonable, service was quick, location is great ...

sorobonanne
10-26-2015, 08:08 AM
If you don,t mind a couple of Canadians in the mix, we will be visiting middle of November and would enjoy meeting up anytime ...

MikeTruesdell
10-26-2015, 10:09 AM
We also arrive Nov. 14 th , we will be with 3 other US couples . We will be there until End of Jan. So we would have plenty of time to meet up. Even if they are Canadians . Just leave your Blue Jay hats home.LOL

JPH
10-26-2015, 11:59 AM
how about Friday November 20th at Diners Diner?

JPH
10-26-2015, 12:00 PM
divers diner

sorobonanne
10-26-2015, 12:20 PM
We we will be in 8- 22 nov. , Mike, if you like I can bring you a blue jays hat if you like , it was a game series against Texas! It would be nice to meet up :)

We also arrive Nov. 14 th , we will be with 3 other US couples . We will be there until End of Jan. So we would have plenty of time to meet up. Even if they are Canadians . Just leave your Blue Jay hats home.LOL

Gmichael
10-26-2015, 12:24 PM
Who are you..? just curious why you feel threatened with my post...I only post on BT once or twice a month.. I suspect you have a vested interest in Divers Diner..you comparing it to Pas a Bon Pizza is aq defininte clue as to your agenda. And your attack on me is ridiculous and does not derrve an anwer! I give people credit for having the inteligance to decide issues for themselves. I will not answer you publically again but if you want to contact me personally like a gentleman my e mail is tzdakah@hotmail.com or skype BONAIRENA or phone 717 4781 cell 777 4781.for alcoholism, it is epidemic here. We would love help from EX Pats to solve these issues but I dont think you are at all capable or interested. I would welcome your personal contact.

JPH
10-26-2015, 12:53 PM
I have no vested interest in Diners Diver WHATSOEVER, wrong again. I have seen your attack on others on Facebook, personal attacks on families that have been here for generations, NOT expats. Try not to forget that you are not from Bonaire, you are an outsider, like the rest of us. I couldnt care less where the people want to meet. As for the pizza? I'm from New York, I know pizza. Pasa Bon pizza is good, but it's not as great as everyone says, and it is overpriced, and don't get me started on the $4.50 bottle of coca-cola. I simply stated that Divers Diner pizza "was as good as Pasa Bon, and not as expensive". So if you want to sit in a hot pizza place getting eaten alive by mosquitos, then have at it. I prefer to be close to the Sea, that's why I'm here. I also think Rhumba makes a good pizza....oh wait, does that mean I have a "vested interest" in Rhumba?

MikeTruesdell
10-26-2015, 02:23 PM
Don't want to get in the middle . But the 20 th of Nov. is good for us. I will check with the others and see if they will attend.

As as for as rhe alcohol problem, I have no cure. I was surprised to see the normal AA meeting has not been noted in the reporter . Michael , is there still a meeting in town ? And by the way I went to visit Larry in the hospital and he is recovering from a near death sickness. No one expected him to make it but he did.

Gmichael
10-26-2015, 03:51 PM
No middle to get into mike...AA, Alanon and NA have ceased. No one to run the meetings. Am trying to at least have a place for Visitors to attend a meeting. As for JPH, whoever he is, am not publically addressing him. If he would like to meet me vis a vis at any venue when he is here, I will be happy to debate him but face to face only. In any event, Larry is the energizer bunny and tell him I am catching up with him! He must be in his 80s..Call me when you are here 717 4781 or 777 4781.

MikeTruesdell
10-26-2015, 04:44 PM
I will . We will be there for a little over 2 months this trip.

JPH
10-26-2015, 05:32 PM
debate you on what? the fact that people were looking for a place to meet to have a cold drink with friends. This was your chance to suggest any of over 100 small local businesses and maybe generate some income for them, you chose not to. End of debate.

tursiops
10-27-2015, 10:39 PM
As for the pizza? I'm from New York, I know pizza.

You have just lost any possible credibility.

bonairehomes
10-28-2015, 09:10 AM
Mike -

I am pretty sure the AA meetings on Bonaire stopped a while ago due to low attendance, The last time I had some contact with the group was three or four years ago, most meetings only had four or five people and usually the same people. The meetings were usually held at one of the members homes, but he passed away one or two years ago. I think the meetings kind of petered out after that, and I think that's why you there aren't notices in the Reporter any more. I'll ask George from the Reporter about the notices and let you know if I find out anything else.

JPH
10-28-2015, 09:48 AM
You have just lost any possible credibility.

ok, enjoy your Domino's and Papa John's in Virginia. The worst pizza in New York is better than anything you have in Virginia, unless of course some NY'ers opened a pizza joint in your town.

MikeTruesdell
10-28-2015, 10:14 AM
Thank god I don't like pizza. But the ribs at Divers Diner or some of the best on the island . So with that being said I will be there Nov. 20 th.

JPH
10-28-2015, 10:29 AM
Thank god I don't like pizza. But the ribs at Divers Diner or some of the best on the island . So with that being said I will be there Nov. 20 th.

good to know about the ribs. I have only eaten there once, and that was a pizza...but now i guess that makes me a vested partner. I don't know where all the "stop bashing Pasa Bon" came from. I never said it was better, my quote was "its as good as". Pizza here, at any of the places, is not as good as mass produced delivery in the USA. If i would have come on here and said "it's great, you gotta try it"...then i would question whether I had a vested interest in the place. For the record I have ordered takeout from Pasa Bon 5 times since Sept 1st (and they were closed for a bit), ate one time at Divers Diner (pizza), and have had slices at Rhumba. I do not cook, so I usually go out for nice dinners, but when I eat at home (takeout) the options are: Chinese (which gets old fast), Pizza, Robbies Grill, Appeldam Grill, Bobbyjans etc.

bonairehomes
10-28-2015, 11:13 AM
Where is Robbie's Grill and Appeldam Grill?

tursiops
10-28-2015, 01:10 PM
ok, enjoy your Domino's and Papa John's in Virginia. The worst pizza in New York is better than anything you have in Virginia, unless of course some NY'ers opened a pizza joint in your town.

LOL! You are on the fine line between sarcasm and arrogance, I hope the former.

Dee
10-28-2015, 03:29 PM

Appeldam is in Niki Boko after the round about the first street to the left after the chineese bar - there is a tire shop on the opposite corner.

Dee
10-28-2015, 03:40 PM
AHEM.... excuse me???? I am a Virginian and it is very apparent to me that you have the manners of a New Yorker!!! Goodness gracious, you are really stirring all the pots here and poking the bear!!
I am sure you are not aware that Papa Johns originated in Indianna, and Dominos originated in Michigan. What makes you think that we Virginians only buy pizza from Dominos and Papa Johns - oh never mind, i really dont want to know your answer. :chillout:

ModCecil
10-28-2015, 04:04 PM
Don't make me shut this thread down, youz guys are in a sensitive subject now, remember never argue about religion, politics or pizza. For the record I love Dominos because I live in the woods and never get it.

MikeTruesdell
10-28-2015, 08:47 PM
Thanks Bob
hope all is well. I see you were able work Jill Sumner . We are getting together for Thanksgiving this year.
See you soon.

JPH
10-28-2015, 09:16 PM
AHEM.... excuse me???? I am a Virginian and it is very apparent to me that you have the manners of a New Yorker!!! Goodness gracious, you are really stirring all the pots here and poking the bear!!
I am sure you are not aware that Papa Johns originated in Indianna, and Dominos originated in Michigan. What makes you think that we Virginians only buy pizza from Dominos and Papa Johns - oh never mind, i really dont want to know your answer. :chillout:

i am sorry, you are correct. When I was watching the New York Mets against the Chicago Cubs they kept talking about whose pizza was better, New York, Chicago or northern Virginia Hahahaha

gbf
10-28-2015, 09:26 PM

WTH you talkin' about??

their ribs suxk!!

so do the ribs at bobble Jan's!!

and at the rib shack!!

and at Casablanca - oh, wait, they've been closed a long time.

aint no good ribs on Bon!!

Probably no good pizza either!!

well, just have another beer and try to get by. At least the beer is good.

edit: Wait!! The beer is no good also. I don't know what I'll do. I guess I can never go to Bonaire again

JDButt
10-28-2015, 09:28 PM
I don't know about Robbie' s Grill, but Appeldam Grill is on Kaya Kitara, I think number 10, in Niki Boko.

MikeTruesdell
10-28-2015, 10:23 PM
Maybe you should bring some ribs from Mississippi, wait forgot there are no flights from Mississippi.

Gmichael
10-29-2015, 02:06 PM
appeldam is just off Niko south...first left after second roundabout