PDA

View Full Version : Using AMEX Insurance for an upcoming trip (leave truck locked or unlocked)

Bethy
04-16-2014, 09:15 AM
Hi All,

We will be using AMEX insurance for an upcoming trip to Bonaire and I wanted to know what others are doing at dive sites:

Are you leaving the truck unlocked at dive sites and taking the keys? or
Are you locking the truck

In the past we have always left the truck unlocked without any valuables, but I don't want to do anything that would jeopardize an AMEX truck theft claim. I was thinking of bringing a steering wheel club with me.

grunt
04-16-2014, 11:25 AM
I am leaving the truck unlocked with nothing of value inside.
The truck key goes in swim suit pocket; with a wetsuit over it the key cannot get lost.
I also use AMEX with the insurance.

wwguy
04-16-2014, 12:42 PM
I never lock my truck on Bonaire. Ever. There's no reason to do so if there are no valuables inside. The exception is any rental company that tells you this is required under terms of their CDW (which doesn't apply here.) Regardless, if you lock it and a thief want access he'll just break the windows anyway.

If renting from Telerin, Poppy's rental trucks are now equipped with a device where you have to enter a 4 digit code before the truck will start. In the past they've also given me a steering wheel club to use. This wasn't standard, but you might be able to request one. I know for certain that Poppy is upset and frustrated with the damage done to her rental trucks in recent years. Several have been severely vandalized and one was stolen and later burned beyond recognition out in the mondi. She's highly motivated to help you help her protect her trucks.

kob
04-16-2014, 01:46 PM
What both grunt & wwguy said ... I rent from Poppy with Amex, decline the CDW, never leave anything of value in the truck, leave the truck unlocked (with windows down if weather permits), truck keys & house keys go diving with me in a waterproof container ... the 4-digit ignition code device is great ... in 17 years never had anything of value taken from my trucks, even flip-flops, old t-shirts, sunglasses have always been OK

Bethy
04-16-2014, 03:35 PM
Okay Thanks,

In the past, we have always left the truck unlocked and taken the keys etc. I just did not want to do anything that would jeopardize an AMEX claim. I think I am going to bring a steering wheel club with me and leave the truck unlocked. Based on what y'all are saying that should cover it.