PDA

View Full Version : Is it prohibited to have passenger in bed of truck?

Harry
03-22-2014, 04:49 PM
In a rental truck designed to accommodate 5 persons, will it be a violation of Bonaire driving laws or vehicle rental agreement if a passenger rides on the back of the truck? I will be in Bonaire as part of a group of 6, and on occasion we may wish to go to dinner or a dive/snorkel with 5persons in the vehicle and 1person on the back of the truck. Is this possible?

ModFreddie
03-22-2014, 08:24 PM
is it Prohibited where you live Harry??? if so then you should follow the same guidelines....

stretch
03-23-2014, 10:12 AM
See lots of riders in the bed of trucks. On occasion we did this on our recent trip without any problems.

Bethy
03-23-2014, 06:31 PM
Hi Harry,

Welcome to Bonaire Talk! I have wondered the same thing. I have been traveling to Bonaire for years and on several occasions we have picked up hitch hikers and given them a ride to town. It seems pretty common....maybe you could check with your rental car company or bonaire tourism.

Enjoy your trip!

ModCecil
03-23-2014, 06:34 PM
I suspect it is illegal but not enforced, regardless just a bad idea on rough unknown roads. Terrible way to ruin a vacation.

diverdan1
03-23-2014, 07:48 PM
If you rent from Ab, the rental agreement states the following for what it's worth

12: The vehicle should not be overloaded and should be handled carefully. It is not permitted to transport more passengers than can be seated in the vehicle, including the driver.

ModFreddie
03-24-2014, 06:14 AM
I seriously doubt you would be able to fit a person in the back if you had 5 sets of gear in the back as well... rent another truck.. that way everyone can be comfortable.. and safer... have a good trip... BTW the potholes on the island have not gotten any better recently....

tristanjbstevens
03-31-2014, 04:17 PM
I think several car rental companies offer larger "bus" type vans. I would be more inclined to go this route.

I think the other comments here are correct. It's likely illegal, but unenforced by the police.

However, if you get into an accident with somebody riding in the flat bed (and they're hurt or killed as a result), then you'll likely be on the hook in a bad way... Think "jail time" as a worst case scenario..