PDA

View Full Version : Another CDW question

judyphelps
03-20-2014, 05:45 PM
Please humor me, I know that there has been a lot of discussion on this topic but I am still confused.
I am covered by my credit card company for auto rental insurance.
The rental car companies on the island that I looked at require CDW but my credit card company advised me to decline it ( as I always do whenever I rent anywhere). What do people usually do in Bonaire pay for the CDW or decline it?
Thanks in advance for the help.

wwguy
03-20-2014, 07:04 PM
You can't decline a CDW policy from a rental company that requires it. The primary purpose of CDW is for rental companies to avoid argument and/or failure to pay by the renter in event of vehicle damage, especially when fault, extent of damage, or cost of repair are disputed. Credit card damage insurance is convenient for the cardholder, but shifts the decision to payout a claim to an off-island CC company whose financial interests are best served by declining or delaying payment of claims whenever possible. Rental companies figured out a long time ago that it's much harder to settle claims with CC companies after you and your money have left the island.

Your options are either to pay the rental company's CDW policy fee or find a rental company that will honor your CC insurance.

When you say "I am covered by my credit card company for auto rental insurance" I assume you're either planning to rent a car (not a truck) or that your card is Amex and includes Premium Rental Protection Insurance. I've been following this topic closely for years and have yet to learn of another north american credit card that covers pickup trucks in foreign countries.

In the past visits both Budget and Telerin have honored my Amex insurance. FWIW I don't ask for quotes from rental companies who won't.

judyphelps
03-20-2014, 10:22 PM
Thanks WWGUY for the clarification. So the question so ask of the rental company who says the CDW is mandatory is "will you honor my Amex insurance' ? You say Budget and Telerin will, maybe those are the ones I need to go to. Thank you.

kob
03-21-2014, 08:18 AM
Poppy (at Telerin) will quote rates both with & without CDW. I just got a quote from her for Apr 26 - May 3 and declined the CDW. She knows I will be using my Amex card as I have for years.

ModCecil
03-21-2014, 08:21 AM
Judy the issue comes about due to most credit cards not covering rental trucks overseas, so be very careful about turning down CDW and trusting your credit card to cover it.

judyphelps
03-21-2014, 01:50 PM
Ha! Ha! It's a double edge sword I guess. My credit card companies are warning just the opposite, be sure to decline the CDW otherwise I won't be protected by my credit card coverage and will have to trust the rental company. I guess it boils down to who I trust more ( or less).
Thanks so much for the advice, much appreciated. Also, I plan on renting a car not a truck.

DiverVince
03-21-2014, 05:42 PM
Judy..The short answer to your question IMHO is any rental organization who has a policy of MANDATORY CDW is not an organization that I would do business with. The extremely excessive daily charges are just "gravy" for the rental company. Try annualizing what they charge on your auto policy at home and you'll see my point as to why I say they are extremely excessive. CDW is offered as a perk by many credit card companies and my advice is to avail yourself of it. If a rental company will not allow you, they are limiting your free choice and as a consumer you should go elsewhere. Just my 2 cents worth! ;)

diver dave1
03-27-2014, 10:44 PM
I have been checking into truck rental on Bonaire. I find neither Visa or Mastercard covers trucks internationally with insurance when using their card.
I can get an AmEx card and buy premium insurance for a small price and it does cover trucks.
I have checked 4 rental car companies on Bonaire and no one accepts the insurance directly. Two will let me decline their insurance but they expect me to pay all damages before leaving the island and I have to get the money from the AmEx insurance. The others require I buy their insurance at about $11/day with a $500 deductible.
Its just pretty crappy anyway I look at it.

randl
03-27-2014, 10:56 PM
Sounds about right, actually.

ModFreddie
03-28-2014, 03:49 AM
to the best of my knowledge.. Poppy's is the only one who accepts AMEX

wwguy
03-28-2014, 12:01 PM

I was trying to add to your knowledge when I mentioned previously in this thread that Budget accepts American Express (http://www.bonaire-budgetcar.com/terms-conditions.html) too. ;)

diver dave1
03-28-2014, 04:24 PM

Poppy's no longer accepts AMEX. They do allow declining the insurance. Below is the copy/paste from their price quote to me a few days ago.

"Some Credit Cards Company’s covers the CDW. You need to check with yours.

You can choose to take the vehicle without the insurance.

When you decline the insurance you are responsible for all (FULL) damage
done to all involved. Damage will be charged and you need to claim with your insurance.
And then again if you are not at fault, polis report should show that."

diver dave1
03-28-2014, 04:26 PM
I was trying to add to your knowledge when I mentioned previously in this thread that Budget accepts American Express (http://www.bonaire-budgetcar.com/terms-conditions.html) too. ;)

Budget now REQUIRES their CDW insurance be accepted based on quote from a few days ago.

ModFreddie
03-28-2014, 05:49 PM
wow the beginning if this month(march) to the 15 she accepted AMEX ...

diver dave1
03-28-2014, 09:22 PM
wow the beginning if this month(march) to the 15 she accepted AMEX ...
The exact words might be important. They could say, "You can decline the insurance and use your own." But that does not mean THEY are using yours...You are.
Or did they say, "We will not charge you if there is a claim with AmEx insurance. We will deal with the insurance company directly."
Did they accept YOU using it.. or were they very clear that THEY would be using it? Its a big difference at claim time but might seem insignificant at rental check in time.

Often, I find people dealing with tourists outside the US are sometimes very polite, perhaps overly so, compared to what we get at home.
At home, they would tell you.. "if you do that, you are on your own."
Many tourist locations would avoid anything appearing to be a conflict. The job is important to them and they do not want complaints from customers.

kob
03-29-2014, 09:02 AM
I am going to double check ... I have a car reserved with Poppy for Sue's trip in late April and I reserved it with my Amex card. Got a confirmation from Poppy.

ModFreddie
03-29-2014, 11:54 AM
here is what comes back from Poppy's

Explanation: CDW. (Deductible) US$.500, = .
Regarding the insurance, in case of an accident and it is your fault, and
damage to all involved is more than $.500, = you pay only $.500, =. (Deductible)
The rest is covered by the insurance.
If damage is less you pay what the damage is, up to US$.500, = (Example: you
make a small dent that will cost only $.100, = to repair you pay that $100, =)
If you are not at fault you do not pay anything, but this must be shown on
the polis report.

Some Credit Cards Company’s covers the CDW. You need to check with yours.
You can choose to take the vehicle without the insurance.

When you decline the insurance you are responsible for all (FULL) damage
done to all involved. Damage will be charged and you need to claim with your insurance.
And then again if you are not at fault, polis report should show that.

esculley
03-31-2014, 10:03 PM
i usually rent a car and my visa card (signature cr. crd.).will cover cdw. i have rented from poppy(telerine) no problem. got a price with no insurance

grunt
03-31-2014, 10:13 PM
Simple question: Does Poppy still take Amex while using the truck insurance offered only by Amex?

diver dave1
03-31-2014, 10:16 PM
Simple question: Does Poppy still take Amex while using the truck insurance offered only by Amex?
They take the credit card. They let you use the insurance. They do not deal with Amex insurance. If there is a claim, they charge you directly. You settle up as best you can with the insurance company yourself.
So far, I have found no one that accepts and deals with any insurance carrier directly unless you take their CDW. Some require their CDW, some operate like Poppy. Checked about half a dozen places so far.

kob
04-01-2014, 06:52 AM
grunt ... simple answer ... yes.

jonz
04-01-2014, 08:58 AM
As of March 7th - she still accepted AMX and the insurance when through when the charge went through.

We had a problem with a tire (hit a curb) and paid for that ourselves, so I'm not sure what would of happened with the insurance. Our thought is that insurance is for 'big' problems.

Bea

grunt
04-03-2014, 11:07 PM
Long story short, just today (March 3) got a confirmation from Poppy for our rental Sept 6-21 using AMEX and no CDW.
Poppy still rocks.