PDA

View Full Version : Walking to Van Den Tweel Grocery

mgh
01-15-2014, 05:37 PM
Is Van Den Tweel Supermarket within walking distance from Club Nautico? I know that Top is close, but would like to check out Van Den Tweel as well and won't have a car the entire stay in Bonaire.

DiverVince
01-16-2014, 02:10 AM
Is Van Den Tweel Supermarket within walking distance from Club Nautico? I know that Top is close, but would like to check out Van Den Tweel as well and won't have a car the entire stay in Bonaire.
Definitely I think that may be a bad idea. Much too long of a walk in the blazing hot Bonaire sun. I'd recommend a cab ride or rent a vehicle.

kob
01-16-2014, 07:55 AM
Agree with Vince. Also, Kaya Industria is a reasonably busy street with no sidewalks.

randl
01-16-2014, 08:33 AM
I, too, agree but it might be possible someday soon to go the other way. It appears that Kaya Nikiboko may be getting sidewalks. Parts of it between the church and a new roundabout are newly paved and have new curbs (curbs!). So stay tuned.

Tom
01-16-2014, 01:22 PM
Totally walkable, if you're comfortable walking. We walk all over when we're there. No problem at all. I think people are overplaying the difficulty level here, or perhaps I'm coming from the perspective of someone who is a bit younger than most of the replies so far ;)

wwguy
01-16-2014, 01:58 PM
I read in a previous post that you don't plan to rent a car during your 2 week trip. So I assume you're asking this question in context of walking for groceries during your stay?

According to Google Maps it's about 1.2 miles (1.9 km) each way. That's about 25 to 30 minutes each way for someone walking at average speed. About half of the distance includes sidewalks (basically the walk along the waterfront and J.A. Abraham Blvd from Club Nautico to Kaya Industria.) Sidewalks or not, people walk along the edges of the roads in Bonaire all the time.

Ultimately I guess it depends on what you consider "within walking distance" to mean. I'm almost 50 and walk 4 or 5 miles several times a week (trying to keep old age at bay.) I'd have no qualms about walking that distance for exercise, but carrying a case of my favorite beverage or a few bags of groceries could make for an unpleasant experience. Making the same trek several times during your visit would also get old.

FWIW I'm not a fan at all of Top Supermarket. It's in the old Cultimara location but it's a completely different experience.

One option might be to walk to Van den Tweels from Club Nautico, do your shopping, then call a taxi to drive you back.

Tom
01-16-2014, 06:20 PM
One option might be to walk to Van den Tweels from Club Nautico, do your shopping, then call a taxi to drive you back.

Might be onto something there.