PDA

View Full Version : Packing for AMCAR

kob
01-09-2014, 12:20 PM
For those BTers who have moved from the US to Bonaire and shipped their household stuff via AMCAR in Miami, how did you pack things to survive the journey?

Did you hire a moving company and they packed things up sufficiently well to survive unloading in Miami, loading into a container and unloading on Bonaire without damage?

Any special recommendations?

susan
01-10-2014, 09:35 AM
Hi, in my experience, any damage is normally incurred in the shipping TO Miami, so that's where you have to pack for potential damage. Once things get to Amcar, they are normally just loaded onto the container and then unloaded here, and the potential for damage during this part of the trip is low. I have never had a problem with items originating in Miami at Amcar (I have gone there to shop and dropped things off myself). When I ship items from other locations in the States to Amcar, they can arrive in Miami with the boxes already mangled. The heavier they are, the more mangled they are. If they arrive in really bad shape, with obvious damage, Amcar might refuse them (this happened to me once), as they are "on the line" for the insurance payment for damaged goods.

In any event, I wrap all items, usually in double plastic bags. If an item is of a particularly fragile nature, I might even double box it. Get lots of bubble wrap and use it on the sides, bottom and top of each box.

kob
01-10-2014, 10:28 AM
Thanks, Susan. Your suggestions are good for our household items. Any thoughts on furniture?

susan
01-10-2014, 10:37 AM
If your furniture is of good quality and you want it to arrive in the same shape, I would recommend having professional movers in to do that job. Both Amcar and Rocargo on this end will take good care of it, but you have to get it to Amcar first in good shape!

susan
01-10-2014, 10:38 AM
Or, another thought.........if you are purchasing new furniture, make a stop in Miami and order there. They can deliver directly to Amcar and that helps to keep the potential for damage limited.

kob
01-10-2014, 12:50 PM
Thanks again for the advice, Susan. It is current furniture which has to get from Cleveland to Miami, so I think your suggestion about professional movers is the right way to go. Thanks again !!

ruth
01-10-2014, 10:43 PM
Ditto what Susan says...personally, I'd be weighing the costs of sentimentality of owned furniture, vs say, new stuff from Overstock.com, etc., City Furniture, Rooms to Go, etc., delivering new to Amcar (import duties here are only a flat 8% now on new items). For home/bldg items that can be purchased at Home Depot (including appliances), there is an export department (pm me for info). They consolidate your HD order, send it to HD's export center, where it's packaged/wrapped to go, secured on a pallet, etc. I've been extremely happy with HD's export service, especially they way I can order anything, from store or online, and have it inspected before it's sent (like fragile screens...), pay no Fla sales tax (but do pay one $79 export packing fee). I ship every 6-8 weeks with Amcar, for 20+ years, and rarely have a problem--and like Susan says, if there's a problem, it probably happened before the item got to Amcar. Rocargo, Amcar's agent here, (as well as Amcar) is one of the most reputable businesses you'll ever encounter on Bonaire.

arn
01-11-2014, 08:12 AM
Good Day,

Depending on the amount and what will be shipped from your current residence, you may want to consider a seperate container. Not sure if this is possible, but perhaps Amcar can send a container to your residence and then have it trucked to Miami for follow on transport to Bonaire. That will save one unload and reload where damage could occur. Just a thought.

kob
01-11-2014, 10:03 AM
Thanks, susan, ruth & arn. Our home on Bonaire is already furnished, so the only furniture we're bringing is our master bedroom set, which we much prefer to what we have on Bonaire. Other than that, only household stuff, tools, scuba gear, etc. We won't come close to filling a 20' container, hence my questions about packing and transport to Miami. We are planning to ship one car (a Honda Accord EX) as well, which we will drive to Miami and hand over to Amcar.

Arn is right that Amcar will send a container to our home, but we have to pack it and why pay for a full container when we can't possibly fill it. It's about $4200 to ship a 20' container or about $3.68/cu ft for less than a full container. I don't envision us having anywhere near 11 cu ft of stuff.

Thanks again to everyone for your suggestions. Really appreciate it.

bonairehomes
01-11-2014, 10:30 AM
Kevin -

You could also try Meyer Moving on Bonaire. They have offices in Curacao, and I think they are part of a bigger network in the US. I have had good luck with them shipping things from Bonaire to the US, and I think they do it the other way as well. The advantage to using them is that there is only one company responsible for it end to end. This is especially important if you are having a company pack your things for you at your house and then send them to Bonaire.

Here's the link: http://www.meyermovingbonaire.com/en/index.html

I also agree with Ruth, we have purchased large furniture and appliance items both online and in person from Home Depot, Pottery Barn, and others and then shipped them here via AMCAR in Miami and Ro Cargo. We have had good luck and never had any problems with damage. Good Luck!

kob
01-11-2014, 11:55 AM
Thanks, Bob. We are coming down in March to submit our paperwork for residency, so likely to see you then. I will check out Meyer.