PDA

View Full Version : Medical Services

Goldwinger
01-05-2014, 07:00 PM
Having visited Bonaire several times, I thought I would ask a question about medical services. If this is the wrong topic for this group, my apologies, and please direct me. I have never had a medical issue while there but just thinking.

So I was just wondering, if one had a heart attack, are there local facilities to deal with this or does one get transported to perhaps Curacao...or perhaps somewhere else. ???

I look forward to using this forum and already thinking about my next trip.

Regards, Goldwinger

trish
01-10-2014, 01:31 PM
I would advise you to leave. Had a medical emergency a few years back with my husband & he ended up in Aruba for a barbaric nightmare to say the least. Get medical evacuation service insurance (like DAN) & go to the US if that's where you're from. I understand that Columbia has great medical, I don't know, never been there. The rule for the island hospitals is to NEVER go alone, so keep that in mind.

ruth
01-10-2014, 10:31 PM
We do have facilities, but they are limited as one would expect in a community of 16,000 pop. If the heart attack is survived (patient makes it to ER), the doctors (a team on rotation from Amsterdam) would do tests, etc., and consult with the cardiologist in Curacao. Based on that, they would all make the call of what trip could be survived (Curacao, Aruba, USA, Colombia). Having DAN insurance would probably guarantee at least Aruba/then US. You've got to remember, not all things are survivable, no matter where they happen. It's not reasonable to come here (or to any small community/island/remote locations) expecting a Jackson Memorial or Mt. Sinai around the corner... One must also realize too that DAN would have to scramble a medical emergency flight from where they are (PR, MIA, ?) to get here, then get the patient to Fla... Residents here are sent to Colombia for major cardiac episodes if they can survive the trip (about 6+ hrs by the time they send the jet from Colombia, till you get back to one of the best cardiac hospitals in Colombia). If something bad does happen--get all your **** together, including cash & passports & luggage & go.

ModCecil
01-11-2014, 09:31 AM
Thanks Ruth great advice. I've always heard if you get seriously sick on island get to the US as quickly as possible.

Dean
09-18-2014, 08:13 AM
Back in the misty beginning of time, maybe 15 years ago, I was lucky enough to have my appendix explode on island. The Hospital then was more than a little bit smaller than today. Peritonitis had already set in before I arrived at the Hospital and got the remnants of the appendix removed.

The experience wasn't the vacation we had planned but it was our longest stay on island up to that point. The nurseing staff was excellent. I'm still alive and we still go to Bonaire to dive.