PDA

View Full Version : Building on Bonaire

sorobonanne
01-03-2014, 11:33 AM
Hi ,
I am currently considering buying property on Bonaire and am very interested in building my own house . If anyone is willing to give me any ideas / advice /comments on their experience building on the island I would be very interested.
Thank you , Anne

bonairehomes
01-04-2014, 09:41 AM
Hi Ann -

I'd be happy to offer advice. If you email me at bob@bonairehomes.com I'll d my best to answer your questions.

bob

Dee
01-04-2014, 11:19 PM
Not that difficult depending where you buy your lot and what your budget is. Bob is very helpful.

sorobonanne
01-07-2014, 12:25 PM
Thank you for your help .

sorobonanne
01-09-2014, 11:15 AM
Thank you ,Your business has a great website. Very informative .

Hi Ann -

I'd be happy to offer advice. If you email me at bob@bonairehomes.com I'll d my best to answer your questions.

bob

MikeTruesdell
01-17-2014, 09:13 PM
Thank you ,Your business has a great website. Very informative .
I just finished building in Sabadeco Terrace.
I too started Bob at remax. The building experience was much more enjoyable than I expected.

Be ready for island time though. The island nor the builders respond as you may be use to.
Although it was a pleasant process it was at a closer pace than I was use to.In our case that worked out just fine with our finances.
Bob was a great help from the lot pick ,house plans, and builder suggestion.

Feel free to PM if you would like.

sorobonanne
01-18-2014, 09:40 AM
Thank you Mike , I will be arriving to pick out a lot in March . I really do want build, even though friends and family are not too positive about the idea.....

bonairehomes
01-18-2014, 10:00 AM
Ann (and anyone else who is considering building) here are some tips:
- Expect things to take twice as long as people tell you it will. The island moves art a slower pace, and since everything is imported, the island sometimes runs out of things like cement or blacks, or copper pipe. Expect it to take 12 to 18 months to complete construction of a house.
- Plan to be on island FULL TIME if possible. Otherwise, hire a reputable project manager to supervise construction on your behalf. Even if you have someone supervising construction, you should plan to be here in person at least every 6 to 8 weeks.
- Hire a reputable builder and see their work and check their references. The project manager you hire can also help with this process.
- Don't pay the contractor a lot of money up front. a payment of between 10% and 20% is the most you should have to pay a contractor to get started. Then you make additional payments as certain construction mile stones are reached. Your project manager can help you make an effective payment schedule.
- Any finally, expect things to take twice as long as people tell you it will. The island moves art a slower pace, and since everything is imported, the island sometimes runs out of things like cement or blocks, or copper pipe. Expect it to take 12 to 18 months to complete construction of a house.

Good luck with your project and feel free to e-mail or PM me if you'd like specific recommendations on project managers or contractors.

sorobonanne
01-18-2014, 10:12 AM
Thank you Bob, you are very helpful ! I had not thought about be on the island during the building , good point . I wish I could , but probably not yet .... will have to work on that :)