PDA

View Full Version : Bonaire Residency - The process and forms explained

bonairehomes
11-08-2013, 10:54 AM
Visiting Bonaire:

Persons from the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand and most EU countries DO NOT need any sort of visa to visit Bonaire as long as they are staying on the island for less than 3 months out of any six month period.

Persons from other countries should consult this website page from the Government of the Netherlands to see if you need to apply for a visa to visit Bonaire. https://www.netherlandsandyou.nl/travel-and-residence/caribbean-visas

Applying for Residency THE FIRST TIME:

Persons from the US or Canada or from EU countries DO NOT need to apply for a provisional residence permit. You can simply apply for a “temporary regular residency permit”

The form you need to complete and submit to the Immigration Department, is a Form MBES-3. Here is a link to the English version of the form. You will need to complete this form, and submit all of the required documents the first time you apply for residency. http://www.rijksdienstcn.com/rijksdienstcn.com/up1/ZosehcvIqB_MBES03_EN_aanvraag_vv_bep_zonder_mvv_of_wijz_doel.pdf

In the back of the form on Page 9, there is a list of the documents you need to present to immigration when you submit your residency application. Most people who are requesting residency here, apply for residency as “a Pensioner or person of independent means”. Depending on which category you choose, there is a list of the required documents.

NOTE: After you receive your initial residency approval and have a sedula (ID Card) you are immediately eligible for free local health care.

RENEWING your Residency for the second through fifth years:

If you have a “temporary regular residency permit” you need to submit an renewal application EVERY YEAR FOR FIVE YEARS using Form MBES-4.
Here is a link to the English version of the form. You will need to complete this form, and submit all of the required documents each time you apply to renew your residency. http://www.rijksdienstcn.com/rijksdienstcn.com/up1/ZosehcvIsB_MBES04_EN_aanvraag_verleng_vv_bep.pdf

In the back of the form on Page 8, there is a list of the documents you need to present to immigration when you submit your residency renewal application. You normally choose the same residency category to renew your residency as you had for your first application. Most people who are renewing residency here, apply for renewal as “a Pensioner or person of independent means”. Depending on which category you choose, there is a list of the required documents.

NOTE: Be sure to submit your residency renewal BEFORE the expiration date of your initial residency period. It is the same date as the expiration date shown on your sedula. If you submit your residency renewal application ON TIME for FIVE consecutive years, then for the SIXTH year you can apply for a “permanent residence permit” as explained below.

RENEWING your Residency for the sixth year to apply for a “permanent residence permit”:

If you have had a “temporary regular residency permit” for FIVE full years, then you can submit an application for a “permanent residence permit” by submitting an application for “permanent residence permit” using Form MBES-5.

Here is a link to the English version of the form. You will need to complete this form, and submit all of the required documents when you apply for ”permanent residence permit”. http://www.rijksdienstcn.com/rijksdienstcn.com/up1/ZosehcvIuB_MBES05_EN_aanvraag_vv_onbep.pdf

In the back of the form on Page 4, there is a list of the documents you need to present to immigration when you submit your permanent residency renewal application. In this case you apply as a person “after a continuous period five years or longer of lawful residence” and there is a list of the required documents you need to submit for this application.

NOTE: After you receive your “permanent residence permit” you no longer need to renew your residency every year. Then you can stay on Bonaire as long as you want. However, you will need to get a new sedula every five years.

Applying for Overwintering:

Persons from the US or Canada or from EU countries who want to spend more than three months on a continuous basis on Bonaire need to apply for “overwintering” status using form MBES-3. If you are only staying on Bonaire for less than three months out of any six month period

The form you need to complete and submit to the Immigration Department, is a Form MBES-3. Here is a link to the English version of the form. You will need to complete this form, and submit all of the required documents the first time you apply for residency. http://www.rijksdienstcn.com/rijksdienstcn.com/up1/ZosehcvIqB_MBES03_EN_aanvraag_vv_bep_zonder_mvv_of_wijz_doel.pdf

In the back of the form on Page 9, there is a list of the documents you need to present to immigration when you submit your “overwintering” residency application.

I hope this is helpful to everyone.

kob
11-08-2013, 11:00 AM
Great info, Bob. Thanks for posting !!

mollis
11-11-2013, 09:04 AM
Hi,
I notice that, in the "Pensioners and People of Independent Means" section on page 9, there's no mention of qualifying amounts for acceptable bank balance, acceptable gross annual income, acceptable capital, o acceptable home value for the title of ownership (at least on the version of this form as of today, which has "MBES03_EN|January 2013" on the bottom.
From what I've read on this forum and others, earlier versions of this form may have specified amounts: I see that there was some discussion about a bank balance of $20000, for example, and a home value of either $140,000 or $250,000.
Would you happen to know if there's somewhere on the rijksdienstcn.com where I can find the latest version of these numbers?
Thanks.

bonairehomes
11-11-2013, 09:08 AM
The forms and government don't say how much is enough for "independent means", but up until now it has been about $20,000 for non Dutch people. You need to show the Immigration Department a bank statement, or other documents showing that you either have $20,000 or more in the bank, or have an income, from pensions or other income that pays you at least $20,000. They want to see that you can live here and have the assets to be self sufficient.

HowardK67
03-18-2014, 09:22 PM
This is invaluable information. I do have some additional questions, however. If I and my wife clearly qualify for the independent means prong from a financial perspective and we are U.S. citizens without criminal records, is there any real question as to whether we will get our temporary residency permits granted? This is an important question as it seems to be required that we have a lease in place prior to filing for the residency. I would hate to enter into a contract for a full year's lease and then be denied residency.

Also, how long does the application process take? Is an attorney required or would an attorney make the process easier? We need to be able to plan for the timing of any lease into which we might enter.

Finally, can one enter Bonaire on a tourist visa and then convert that visa into a temporary residence visa? I want to move to Bonaire for at least one year and I believe that I have the means but I don't quite have a grip on the logistics involved. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks to any and all who can provide insight.

kob
03-19-2014, 06:40 AM
We are smack in the middle of doing this right now, so here's one perspective ... did all the forms, apostilles, financial resources, good conduct letters, etc. required and our paperwork was reviewed by IND. We were told that our paperwork was fine and we would receive our temporary residency permits. Due to a screw up in scheduling our appointment at IND, we didn't actually get the permits while on island last week. IND said that just one of us could come back with both passports for the permits, which my wife will do in about 4 weeks (could have been sooner but air fares are very high in the next 2-3 weeks).

If you get all the documents, you shouldn't have a problem. I notice that you mention getting a lease ... does that mean you are applying for the "overwintering" visa? My message above is for residency, not overwintering. For residency, I believe that you need to own a home on Bonaire, which we do, but I could be wrong.

Good luck and be patient.

Gmichael
03-19-2014, 02:59 PM
www.bonairehelpdesk.com is my new site now that chat n browse has temporarily closed..you can also mail me at chatnbrowse@bonairehelpdesk.com. The law about owning a home or property s specific for someone who wants to apply for reisdency. The two exceptions are if you have a job or are a director of a company. Bonaire Hep Desk along with Agnes Joosten can do all the paper and leg work for you.. In case of a coupe who are lawyers, they can establsh an NV or BV that is a US Citizens legal consulting Company or in the case of two friens who are bike entusiasts they can open a busness reltated to biking and heath, etc. My skype is Bonairena or mail me at chatnbrowse@bonairehelpdesk.com

sorobonanne
03-19-2014, 05:26 PM
Thank you for the great info Bob, on page 9 under Investor it states

a bank declaration by local banks, in the public body in which the
foreign national is staying, in which the bank declares that the
foreign national has the intention and resources to make a
commercial investment and/or purchase real estate. This intention
must be realized within 18 months. The total value is at least USD
365,000.00 .

Does this mean in order to be a resident we must buy or own a house of $365,000 ?

Anne

kob
03-20-2014, 07:01 AM
Anne -- based on our experience going thru residency application right now, this is not the case. I believe that the "old" (pre-10/10/10) rules are still in effect ... $140,000 (which was approx. Nafl 240,000 before the currency change). I am sure that Bob or Michael have a more official explanation, but this has been covered in several previous threads here on BT.

sorobonanne
03-20-2014, 09:05 AM
Kob,

yes , I have read those posts , that is why I ask , on the form Bob posted it clearly states US $365,000 . I know it is difficult to deal with this sort of info from outside the country . I hope to be dealing with this next year :)
Thanks you :cool:.... Anne

HowardK67
03-22-2014, 11:40 AM
Just a quick thanks to all who responded. Your help is incredibly valuable and appreciated!

kob
03-23-2014, 05:31 PM
FWIW, we have been told by IND that all our paperwork is OK for residency, including the deed to our Bonaire home, which is worth less than the $365,000 mentioned above.

sorobonanne
03-23-2014, 08:11 PM
That is good to know! Happy to hear it went well.

alevcrab
03-25-2014, 01:40 PM
Thank you for detailed information in this thread. Having said that, I have 3 questions :)
My husband and I are US citizens, wanting to apply for residency in Bonaire in the "independent means" category.

1) "Proof of independent means"
a) What is the amount of money that has to be shown on bank statement? I see $20k mentioned, is this information based on experience or does the IND actually call it out as such?
b) Do you have to show this amount for a family or for each person in the family?

2) "Legalised certificate of good conduct issued by a competent authority in the country of origin"
a) What is the specific document accepted for US citizens? Is it from the local police records in US that we need to get this from?
b) What is the specific way of "legalization/certification" required?

3) After we are in Bonaire, we will rent a place and can then get the rental agreement to show as place of residence in Bonaire. I read that we also have to get "An extract from the personal data municipal base administration showing that the foreign national has his main residence at this dwelling".
Can anyone clarify where to get this from?

Thank you in advance to anyone that can provide guidance.

kob
03-25-2014, 01:54 PM
Hi alevcrab -- based on our experience going throught this process right now, here's my thoughts ...

1) The stated amount is indeed $20,000 ... the advice we were given was to show more than that, but not too much ... we opted to show about $200K in a Fidelity account ... IND was fine with that.

2) You get a letter of good conduct from your local police dept. According to a friend of mine who happens to be a Chief of Police in a community next to ours, he said there is no standard form (at least in his community). He just prepared a letter on Police Dept. letterhead that said he knew us and we were good citizens with no prior criminal behavior (or words to that effect). Legalized means notarized in this case, but we also had ours apostilled for good measure. IND was OK with one letter for both my wife and me.

3) Can't help you there .... we have owned our place on Bonaire for several years and just had to provide a copy of the deed. Bob Bartikowski can probably weigh in on this.

Hope this helps.

Gmichael
03-25-2014, 02:33 PM
There is much easeir and less costly option. Please e mail be at chatnbrowse@bonairehelpdesk.com. If any one wants to discuss it in person, I am always available by skype..Michael

alevcrab
03-26-2014, 12:22 PM
Hi Kob,

Thank you for your response on #1 and 2. It is very helpful. :)

For #3 "An extract from the personal data municipal base administration showing that the foreign national has his main residence at this dwelling" - I will continue to ask around. Who is Bob Bartikowski? Apologies, I am new to this board and don't yet know people.

alevcrab
03-26-2014, 12:37 PM
Thank you Michael, I just emailed you and will try to find you on Skype as well.

kob
03-26-2014, 01:32 PM
Bob Bartikowski owns the REMAX operation on Bonaire. Both he and Michael have been very helpful to me and my wife in our pursuit of residency on Bonaire.

Bruce Z
03-29-2014, 05:00 PM
I like the idea of finding alternative solutions for residency for people who do not own a home on Bonaire. And having a company here can work out as the best overall tax plan (between the two countries) as long as you understand the US and Bonaire tax rules and how they work together. Please note that setting up a company to run a business on Bonaire has costs (incorporation paperwork at the notaris runs about $1500), local business permit requirements, paperwork filing requirements locally (quarterly and annual filings with the tax office) and for US citizens, US tax reporting and compliance requirements, normally a Form 5471 and the schedules that go with it. In general as long as the business is a local "real" operating business or a consulting-type service business run while the consultants live here, it's a workable solution for US tax, but you do need to understand the "controlled foreign corporation" rules.

www.bonairehelpdesk.com (http://www.bonairehelpdesk.com) is my new site now that chat n browse has temporarily closed..you can also mail me at chatnbrowse@bonairehelpdesk.com. The law about owning a home or property s specific for someone who wants to apply for reisdency. The two exceptions are if you have a job or are a director of a company. Bonaire Hep Desk along with Agnes Joosten can do all the paper and leg work for you.. In case of a coupe who are lawyers, they can establsh an NV or BV that is a US Citizens legal consulting Company or in the case of two friens who are bike entusiasts they can open a busness reltated to biking and heath, etc. My skype is Bonairena or mail me at chatnbrowse@bonairehelpdesk.com

alevcrab
04-21-2014, 10:42 AM
Just a quick thank you to all the folks here. I appreciate all the information you provided. :)

- We got our letters, apostilles etc.
- Got the plane tickets: Arriving the island on May 16th evening.
- Now we will start to seriously look for rental places: Short term for a few weeks and then long term once we get there and have a chance to look around. (feel free to PM me if you know of anything short term or long). I will also follow up with Bob/Zwanet at Remax on this.
- Looking forward to meeting y'all…

kob
04-21-2014, 01:35 PM
If you are planning to go to IND yourself without local support, such as Agnes Joosten, be aware that you will need to make an appointment at IND and sometimes they are booked for several weeks. Several of their staff are/were pregnant and off, they closed the office for a week of training, computers were down, etc. while we were there. Just a heads up.

Gmichael
04-21-2014, 02:28 PM
please take a look a www.bonairehelpdesk.com
Also, give me a call on skyp vis the helpdesk or local 717 4781 or 795 1574. Michael

kathy
10-01-2014, 05:22 PM
January of 2014 when we applied for our overwintering permit IND informed us of a change in the requirement, the Legalised Certificate of Good Conduct had to be Apostilled. We had always presented a letter from our local police department in the past. The new requirement is a big problem for us. You can't get a letter apostilled. In our state there is no Legalised Certificate of Good Conduct from any authority. We ended up getting a Certificate of Good Standing on our business from our Secretary of State, had it apostilled and presented it to IND. It worked for them. I hope it works again this year. It is hard to get these documents arranged and sent to you once you are out of the U.S., at least without spending lots of money.
Kathy

Thank you for detailed information in this thread. Having said that, I have 3 questions :)
My husband and I are US citizens, wanting to apply for residency in Bonaire in the "independent means" category.

1) "Proof of independent means"
a) What is the amount of money that has to be shown on bank statement? I see $20k mentioned, is this information based on experience or does the IND actually call it out as such?
b) Do you have to show this amount for a family or for each person in the family?

2) "Legalised certificate of good conduct issued by a competent authority in the country of origin"
a) What is the specific document accepted for US citizens? Is it from the local police records in US that we need to get this from?
b) What is the specific way of "legalization/certification" required?

3) After we are in Bonaire, we will rent a place and can then get the rental agreement to show as place of residence in Bonaire. I read that we also have to get "An extract from the personal data municipal base administration showing that the foreign national has his main residence at this dwelling".
Can anyone clarify where to get this from?

Thank you in advance to anyone that can provide guidance.

kob
10-02-2014, 07:38 AM
Kathy -- don't know what state you're in, but when we applied for residency in March 2014, we brought an apostilled letter of good conduct from our local police department. We got the letter and then sent it to Columbus (state capital of Ohio), where it was apostilled without question and returned promptly. The apostille process only documents that the person who signed the document was authorized to do so.

Master0068
01-05-2015, 06:48 PM
You guys are giving me the urge.. I've been looking around, researching countries for a place to move, and Curacao and Bonaire are on my radar for potential locations. I'm heading there in late Feb/early March for my first visit, let's see if it feels like my paradise :).

ModCecil
01-06-2015, 09:44 AM
If you're a diver the answer will be easy, if you want beaches, ehhhh.

andekm
03-17-2016, 04:25 PM
Very Useful information, thank you. I am a British citizen currently on Bonaire going through the work permit and residency process. I have heard if you are single you need a 'certificate of singleness' i.e something that proves you aren't married or divorced. If you are from the Netherlands you can simply apply for one but I'm not aware of anything like that in the UK. Researching I have found a 'Certificate of no Impediment' which is a certificate that says you can get married abroad. Does anyone know if this is accepted as 'proof of singleness' at the Census office? Another option is an affidavit but that would require me to go back to the UK. Does anyone have a solution to how to solve my issue? It would be most appreciated.

DSearle
03-23-2016, 12:44 PM
I'm pretty sure the Certificate of no Impediment will work. It does need an apostille. Also, the affidavit may not require returning to the UK. I suggest you contact the British Consulate in Curacao, where they may be able to notarize such an affidavit. I know the American Consulate does this for U.S. citizens.
By the way, this particular document is not required as part of the work permit/residency application with IND. But after your residency is approved, you need the certificate of singleness to register at the census office and receive your sedula (ID card).
My information here is based on my experience in 2013. I hope it's helpful.
Doug Searle
bonairehelpdesk.com

ChrisL
09-21-2016, 10:49 PM
I'm thinking there will be no benefit for us to become Bonaire residents based on current laws - please correct me if I'm wrong. My wife and I are in the process of buying a house on Bonaire. Over the next 3-4 years while our 2 HS Juniors finish HS & start college we'll be lucky to visit 3 times a year for 1-2 weeks at a time. When the kids are settled into a college routine, we plan to spend 4-6 weeks at a time, also 3 times a year - roughly 4 months of the year max. We will continue to seek primary medical care in the states. We have no intention of being employed or starting any business on Bonaire. Other than saving import duties on one container worth of pre-owned personal items, am I wrong assuming becoming residents would have little real benefit? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Bruce Z
09-22-2016, 08:54 AM
Chris, you're correct, in your facts there would be no benefit to becoming a resident of Bonaire.

ChrisL
09-23-2016, 11:04 PM
Thank you - we will be back on the island in a week scouting out vedors for the various "fixes" to the house we hope to own soon.

Kate B
01-19-2017, 03:17 AM
Hi,
I'm a newbie on the board and am also moving to Bonaire this year permanently. We were told to maintain residency, we must spend a minimum of 6 months out of every year on the island, so based on your times, you wouldn't meet that residency requirement.

We bought a home in 2015 and are going through the residency process now. Glad to find a place to get info from others!

All the best,
Kate

wishing4wind
03-08-2017, 09:50 PM
I'm interested in living in Bonaire but confused about the process. Would you normally have a professional on the island assist with the process, or try to handle everything on your own? My main concern is health insurance. As soon as I start living on Bonaire, I no longer can depend on my US coverage. Are you eligible for health insurance on the island once you become a temporary or permanent resident? Thank you for all the useful information from everyone on BT, what a group of genuinely nice people :cool:

Bruce Z
03-09-2017, 09:02 AM
Personally I recommend using a local person to help with the immigration process. They know the forms and the requirements. I would recommend Carlo Abdul, who lives in Belnem, call him on his Curacao cell +599-9-526-0555 or Agnes Joosten agnes2101@hotmail.com or 717-8812 or 786-1715. I'm sure there are other good suggestions others can provide. Permanent residency is now good for 5 years. Once you have your sedula and register with the health insurance office you will have local health insurance coverage.

alevcrab
03-10-2017, 08:42 AM
We did not use anyone to help us. Back then Michael Gaynor was a wealth of information and very helpful. The forms were in English and easy to follow. I did spend a lot of time putting everything together before we moved here and asked around to verify from different sources what was needed. Once we were here and had our appointment with immigration, it was all fine. I found that the local folks in the immigration office were helpful and friendly but you really do need to approach them with a very friendly and positive attitude and not get frustrated if things are a bit slow. It all went smoothly for us. A couple we know used someone and they later told us that the person did not really do anything much and they felt it was a waste of a few hundred dollars. Having said all this, everybody's experience can really be different. Good luck! Make sure you give yourself time in US when putting together all the forms (apostille process can take some time).

Bruce Z
03-10-2017, 10:24 AM
Also be sure to read Doug Searle's recent post about needing to allow extra time for the FBI background check.

Kate B
04-19-2017, 05:58 PM
Hi Bruce,

I second the recommendation of Agnes Joosten. She shepherded us through the process. She reviewed the material we collected and then went with us to the immigration office. Official business is transacted in Dutch, so it is useful to have a native Dutch speaker.

Best,

Ian

Kate B
04-19-2017, 06:04 PM
To obtain Bonaire residency you need to list sufficient assets (what is sufficient seems to depend on your nationality and whether you own property on Bonaire).

In addition to printouts of bank statements and the print out from Social Security showing the payments we would receive when we retire with Social security, we provided a one page financial summary. This was very useful since the person at immigration could review this page and quickly verify that we had the bank statements to back up what we wrote.

Best,

Ian

LouRod
10-04-2017, 08:10 PM
My husband and I are Canadian and we are interested in obtaining Bonaire Residency. We understand the need for us to show that we have sufficient assets, and I think Ian's advice about providing immigration with a one page financial statement is a smart idea. I'd like to know if we also need to invest a certain amount of money on a property (as mentioned a few years ago on BonaireTalk). If so, how much? Thank you in advance for your time.

bonairehomes
10-05-2017, 07:43 AM
Hi LouRod -

As long as you can prove you have sufficient yearly income to support yourself while on Bonaire you should be able to get permanent residency. For people who are not either Dutch or US citizens you will need to renew your residency every year for 5 years. After you renew 5 years in a row then you are normally granted "permanent" residency status which means no more paperwork after that.

A part of the residency application process is that you have to show that you have a place to live. This can be satisfied by showing them either a deed to a property that you have purchased, or a valid lease for a rental property.

You can NOT required to buy a property in order to get residency. You can buy one if you want to!

gelonik
11-26-2017, 12:20 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am thinking about moving to Bonaire as a person of independent means (Form MBES-3.) and have questions about required documents on page 9.
There are two items below which I am not sure if they are related to my current residency/property (Canada) or Bonaire.

1) Title of ownership of the dwelling situated on the public bodies(notarial deed) or a lease of a dwelling situated on the public bodies;
2) An extract from the personal data municipal base administrationshowing that the foreign national has his main residence in thisdwelling;

I appreciate if anyone who has gone though this process or knows what these two items are about can please advise.

Many thanks in advance.

link to Form MBES-3

http://www.rijksdienstcn.com/rijksdienstcn.com/up1/ZosehcvIqB_MBES03_EN_aanvraag_vv_bep_zonder_mvv_of_wijz_doel.pdf

alevcrab
11-27-2017, 11:07 AM
Hi Gelonik,

It has been a few years since we went through this process so if things have changed since then I can't speak for it. Having said that here is what we had done:

Item#1: Once you rent a place in Bonaire, have a copy of the signed lease. If you are buying a place you can use a copy of the deed for the same purpose. Either one of these documents need to be presented at the time of your interview at IND along with all other documents.

Item#2: I am a bit foggy on this one, but there is an office on the corner of Kaya Corona & Neerlandia (across from RCB) where you get your cedulla eventually. I think this is where you go once you get your lease/deed but I don't think that this was actually needed.

Good luck!

alevcrab
11-27-2017, 11:35 AM
Here is what we did back in 2014 for Bonaire residency paperwork for independent means.Note that some things might have changed so verify the information with IND.

1) Application forms - 1 per person (even if you are a couple) - (MBES03 form)

2) Pasaport copies

3) Proof of independent means - back in 2014 it was $20k and above.
We used a bank statement. We also had with us (but did not have to use) a print out of previous year's tax return + bank print out for the payment made.
We also had with us Good standing letters from our bank in US but I can’t remember if we had used them eventually.

4) Health insurance coverage - copies of insurance card and policy

5) Marriage certificate - apostilled by your state (If you are single, this is a tough one. A match.com (http://match.com) profile? 😃 )

6) "Legalised certificate of good conduct" apostilled by your state.
We got this from our local police headquarters in our city in US.

7) Birth certificates - apostilled by the state you were born in

8) Lease agreement or deed to property you will reside in in Bonaire

9) An extract from the personal data municipal base administration showing that the foreign national has his main residence at this dwelling - check this one at the office on the corner of Kaya Corona & Neerlandia once you are here

10) Letter from your doctor that show you are in good physical and mental health
We just did a general check up with our physician who then wrote a letter stating that. I belive we used the PADI document for this: https://www.padi.com/documents/padi-courses/2.1.5%20rstc%20medstate%20v201.pdf
Can’t remember if they eventually asked for it but again, it is a good to have if you are going to be diving in Bonaire anyway.

12) Pasaport photos

13) This is not for immigration (IND) but a good to have if you want to get a discount with your car insurance in Bonaire. Get a statement from your US car insurance company showing: Years of no accident. No claims made. Good driver record.

All paperwork above, we prepared in US before moving to Bonaire with the exception of items #8 & 9. Note that apostille process takes time and not everyone is familiar with it. First you get the document, then you get it notarized, then you send it for apostille… so allow time for it.

Good luck! It is a process/pain to get all the paperwork done while in US but once you do your homework, it will be easy. Things went smoothly for us.

FlaParrotHead
01-15-2018, 01:48 PM
Does anyone have a current list or a link to the government list of require documentation. Also, specifically what medical health/insurance information is required if the resident is also looking to qualify for local care and coverage one residency is approved. Thanks.

Kate B
01-16-2018, 09:46 AM
Does anyone have a current list or a link to the government list of require documentation. Also, specifically what medical health/insurance information is required if the resident is also looking to qualify for local care and coverage one residency is approved. Thanks.

Hi,

As soon as you are a resident, you qualify for Bonaire health care with your sedula (residence card.) We asked our US doctor for our health records to give to our physician here, but it was not necessary.

The only medical information you need to provide when you are obtaining your residency (sedula) is a written statement from your primary physician where you live now that you are in "good health." There is no definition of what this means. I have known people who had various medical conditions and controlled them with medication, or had serious surgeries, and their doctor wrote a letter of good health.

In our case, our physician simply wrote a statement that he had been our primary physician for over 10 years and that we were in good health. It was accepted with no problem.

We worked with Agnes Joosten here on Bonaire, who will guide you through the complete process, fill out the Dutch paperwork, and will go with you to the immigration office for your appointment. That way you won't forget anything. It only cost a couple hundred dollars, and we were so glad to have her guide us through the process. You can google her or find her through her store, the Multishop, on Bonaire.

Best of luck,
Kate

gelonik
02-12-2018, 05:35 PM
I was trying downloading English versions forms (MBES-4) or other forms and seems there are only available in Dutch. Does anyone know if English forms can still be obtained?

bonairehomes
02-13-2018, 11:14 AM
I would ask at the immigration office if they have English versions or either Agnes Joosten or Carlo Abdul can help you with the form. Agnes or Carlo change a small fee to help you with the initial application, but their knowledge and experience is well worth the fee. They can also tell you how to time the documents, because some docs can't be older than 60 or 90 days, so the requests need to be property "timed".

Good Luck!

Sabadeco
02-13-2018, 11:40 AM
What are the Bonairean Taxes for an American after obtaining a Sedula? An American will still be paying American taxes as well.

bonairehomes
02-13-2018, 04:47 PM
If you becomes a Bonairian resident and keep your American passport, then you first pay taxes on Bonaire (which are usually deductible in the US) and then you also need to file taxes in the U.S.A. Since eveyone's situation is different it is best to consult a tax professional like Bruce Zavon, who lives on Bonaire is often posting on BonaireTalk about tax questions like yours.

FlaParrotHead
02-13-2018, 06:29 PM
So, am I missing anything..? How exactly do we make an appointment with IND, phone calls from the US to on island are still hit or miss.? Thanks.

Residence application (MBESo8)
Apostille Birth Certificates
Apostille Marriage Certificate
Apostille FBI Background Checks
Passports
Deed to owned home
Statements showing financial self-sufficiency

bonairehomes
02-14-2018, 09:56 AM
I think this is correct, but i would suggest contacting Agnes Joosten or Carlo Abdul to be sure. The list of things you need or the format you need it in seems to change every six months or so. I wouid ask one of them about this to be sure. Of those documents, each one has a different period of time that they are "valid" for in terms of submitting them for residency. Although you need at least one meeting in person with Immigration, once you have all of the papers together Agnes or Carlo can submit them on your behalf. Their help and local expertise is worth the cost of their fee, trust me.

FlaParrotHead
02-16-2018, 12:18 PM
Bob-- do you have contact information for Carlo? Thanks..

bonairehomes
02-16-2018, 12:36 PM
I just have a cell phone number for Carlo Abdul. His phone is +599-9-526-0555.

MuskokaOne
02-19-2018, 09:51 PM
All of the links in this post are out of date (Error 404). Any ideas on how to get the updates?

ModRoy
02-20-2018, 03:20 AM
Hi Andre,

Welcome on Board, I've updated the first Link and PM'd Bob to get info on the other Links, when I get the new Links I will edit them.

All of the links in this post are out of date (Error 404). Any ideas on how to get the updates?

MuskokaOne
02-20-2018, 09:47 AM
Thanks Roy

Olga
03-04-2018, 06:40 AM
Hi MuskokaOne, i met the same difficulties as you with Error 404, but if you switch web site to english beforehand (bottom of the title screen), then all the pdf documents, incuding MBES forms downloads in english. In my case, for example, the proper link fo MBES03 is the following. (https://english.rijksdienstcn.com/binaries/rijksdienstcn-english/documents/forms/immigration-naturalisation/application-for-residence-permit-other-nationalities/application-fixed-term-residence-permit/index/MBES03_EN+Application+for+a+temporary+regular+residence+permit+without+a+regular+provisional+residence+permit+%28mvv%29+or+a+change+of+purpose+of+stay.pdf)

Olga
03-04-2018, 06:57 AM
Hello here all those who loves our island, Finally i bought the properties on island and wish to spend more time then 3 months per each half of the year in summer. I decided overwintering visa regulations enough for me and i already collected all the documents required with apostlies and so on.

My questions are:
1) Which form i need to fill in and apply to IND being on island? MBES-03 or MBES-01? I'm Russian with Schengen area long term visa D. Which allows me to spend 3 months on Bonaire each 180 days.
2) What is the best way to schedule an appointment to IND being outside the island ? Phone? E-mail ? Web-form on site? Attorney who will go there directly and will do it for me before my actual arrival this March ?

I know what the "island style way of life" and share it. I understand hidden meaning of the answer "look buddy this is Bonaire", but my concern is the documents i collected has limited time of life and this is the reason i wish to know the best approach to apply them in time.

Thanks in advance.

bonairehomes
03-12-2018, 12:10 PM
Here is a link to the link for the current form (in English) for Americans to use when applying for Residency on Bonaire. the link allows you to download a pdf file.

https://english.rijksdienstcn.com/immigration-naturalization/documents/forms/immigration-naturalisation/residence-permit-application-if-you-are-dutch/declaration-of-admittance-by-law/index

A list of the current documents that are required to be submitted with the form is attached.

Olga
03-19-2018, 07:09 AM
My questions are:
1) Which form i need to fill in and apply to IND being on island? MBES-03 or MBES-01? I'm Russian with Schengen area long term visa D. Which allows me to spend 3 months on Bonaire each 180 days.
2) What is the best way to schedule an appointment to IND being outside the island ? Phone? E-mail ? Web-form on site? Attorney who will go there directly and will do it for me before my actual arrival this March ?

My answers to my questions:
1) MBES-03 with MBES-22
2) Not required, personal visit according to IND schedule

DSearle
04-28-2018, 04:08 PM
Here are recently updated Info Sheets from Bonaire Help Desk (bonairehelpdesk.com (http://bonairehelpdesk.com/)).
These are downloadable PDF files, and they have links to the relevant government websites and forms.

Residency Basics for Dutch and US citizens (https://indd.adobe.com/view/7873b89f-d486-4ea2-a78a-5e58103e8c38)
Obtaining a Good Conduct Report US PERSONS ONLY (https://indd.adobe.com/view/30a655ec-8eac-4216-a277-8914e88f8591) (called a VOG in Bonaire; called a Identity History Summary Check by the FBI)
Residency Basics for EU and Canadian citizens (https://indd.adobe.com/view/d36468b7-60eb-47c2-88e0-22bbcc7b7d9f) (and certain other countries)

These Bonaire Help Desk Info Sheets do not apply to people from countries for whom the MVV is required.
Here's a link to the newly updated RCN IND website (https://english.rijksdienstcn.com/immigration-naturalisation) for more detailed (and official) information.

rossell
12-17-2018, 01:14 PM
Hello All,
My wife and I already own a home on the island and the end of next year i will be able to retire with a pension from my job in NY. I also have dual citizenship US/Netherlands because my mother is from Saba Island so i'm not sure if this would be easier to obtain residency on the island as opposed to having an EU citizenship?
I know i should talk to Bruce Zavon but i'm Just looking for anyones input?

bonairehomes
12-17-2018, 02:28 PM
Russell -

Which passports do you have? Netherlands, USA or both? What does you wife have? This is really a question for Agnes Joosten or Carlo Abdul. They will likely have seen this before and can give you good advice. The residency process and requirements for both Dutch and Americans is virtually the same.

Good luck!

rossell
12-20-2018, 08:38 AM
I have both my wife has u. S.

bonairehomes
12-20-2018, 09:06 AM
I have both my wife has u. S.

I would talk to Agnes Joosten or Carlo Abdul and ask them the best way for you to apply, if there is one. It might not make a difference.

BoBoe
01-07-2019, 07:25 PM
The one form/item that I'm confused by is the US Single Status Certificate. Everything I've read indicates I have to do this at a US Embassy or Consulate. Obviously I can't do that while living here in the USA. Do I have to wait until I'm overseas to get this form? I'm really at a loss on this one. Any help?

bonairehomes
01-08-2019, 09:13 AM
BoBoe - You need to ask Carlo or Agnes how to do this as a US citizen, in Holland you can get a certificate proving you are single and never married, or that you don't have children. Because you are from the US, you can't easily prove a negative, like you've never been married. You can ask Agnes or Carlo how to do it.

calexa
03-17-2019, 09:52 PM
Greetings all, and thank you for all the great info. My husband and I are coming for 6 months to do diving internships. I am seeking guidance for the timing of applying for residency, assuming we are eligible at the end of our 6 month stay. We went ahead and obtained our FBI background as a test run, but I'm confused about the timing, and so have not sent them off to the State Department yet. I understand the FBI history must not be older than 3 months, so these would be too old anyway towards the ends of our 6 month internships. Should we plan to return to the USA in 3 months to get fingerprinted again? Also, when we wrote to the immigration office for advice, they seemed to want us to start the process even though we are doing internships. When i wrote back to clarify the internships are unpaid, we never heard back. Is there someone we could consult with for our specific situation? Thank you!

Bobi
03-18-2019, 05:47 AM
Dear all,

I am a silent reader and thank you very, very much for all your precious infos on moving to beloved Bonaire! I also do have a short question, please accept my apologies if that is too obvious but: as an EU citizen (german that is), can I also apply for residency/independend means/overwintering while NOT having a sponsor to be found as fill in No.1 in MBES03, do we just leave that blank? Do the USD 40.000 per year cashflow (2 persons) still apply as a requisite?

Huge thanks,
Matthias