PDA

View Full Version : Insel Air from Charlotte to Bonaire via Curacao

mgh
09-06-2013, 03:29 PM
trying to get the best airfare to Bonaire in Feb. and CheapoAir.com has an Insel Air flight from Charlotte to Curacao (http://www.bonairetalk.com/Tourism-g147277-Curacao-Vacations.html) and Curacao on to Bonaire, but the problem for me is the layover time in Curacao. The flight from Charlotte arrives in Curacao at 8PM and then leaves for Bonaire at 8:45 PM. My question is do I have to disembark from that flight because a 45 min. layover can't possibly be enough time to go through customs and reboard.

RJF
09-06-2013, 06:28 PM
You don't have to go through customs, etc. Yes, it is enough time. Worked well for us last year and doing it again in one week.
Last year you only had to enter the building, pay a small fee, go through a quick security check, then on to your gate to get in line and wait to board.

jimw
09-06-2013, 06:47 PM
The time needed will be less than usual as you are not changing airlines, but still 45 minutes is not enough time unless that aircraft continues to Bonaire as you have asked here. Check FlightStats.com for late flights on that route. Bring up your proposed flight on www.itasoftware.com (http://www.itasoftware.com) using their flight matrix. Your answer might be found there. Getting to Cur so late is a near guarantee of staying overnight, I use AA out of Miami to Cur and DiviDivi Air on to Bonaire. Divi's last flight is 5pm. Other airlines to check--Tiara Air and EasyAir. We did use Insel out of Miami a few months ago and that worked well.

jimw
09-06-2013, 07:10 PM
http://matrix.itasoftware.com/view/flights?session=97d6d407-4767-4ee2-8349-aa676e2f8603

Here's a search using the site I suggested--It shows a $467. fare for every Saturday in Feb. and indicates a plane change in Cur to a Fokker 50. RJF is correct that it is an easy process to go from one Insel flight to another, but unless they will hold the Bon flight................trouble, in my view!

petri hausmann
09-07-2013, 09:13 AM
it is not the same plane .. you transfer to a smaller plane .. it is also the last flight to Bonaire .. that being said .. generally the flight is held for late arrivals from all destinations so Insel can get everyone connecting to Bonaire that night rather than arranging an overnite stay ...... ..as an inter island flyer I have experienced this ...

tschamp
09-09-2013, 03:37 PM
it is not the same plane .. you transfer to a smaller plane .. it is also the last flight to Bonaire .. that being said .. generally the flight is held for late arrivals from all destinations so Insel can get everyone connecting to Bonaire that night rather than arranging an overnite stay ...... ..as an inter island flyer I have experienced this ...
Insel is good at this, getting folks to their destination island by the end of the day.
A few trips ago, we flew to CUR and were supposed to fly a small Insel plane to BON.
Instead, they put a whole bunch of us on a larger plane (737?) and flew to Aruba first (to drop off some), then back to CUR, then on to BON.
Something must have happened earlier in the day, equipment failure I'm guessing...

RJF
09-26-2013, 08:50 AM
Just completed this itinerary again. Insel CLT to BON via CUR and return. Almost flawless. Delayed almost 1 hour in CUR on the return flight and arrived CLT about 30 minutes late. Good service and good times. This is 2 years in a row for us and the plan is to use Insel again next year.

mgh
09-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Thanks RJF, we're going to book this itinerary. Just hoping that the price comes down some in the next month.

pat murphy
11-26-2013, 02:49 PM
i did that route last month. while waiting in the transit line in curacao someone came down the line and asked for those going to bonaire to go to the front of the line. we were whisked through security and onto our plane to bonaire. i had questioned insel personnel about short connecting times and was told that if you are on an insel flight connecting with an insel flight, they will wait for you. so far that's been the case. i've used insel for three trips so far and am booked on inself for a fourth trip in february.