PDA

View Full Version : Non-resident vehicle ownership?

kob
08-07-2013, 07:38 PM
Can't say that I have seen this question, so I will ask ... can a non-resident own a car or truck, get it insured, licensed, etc. ??

I am considering buying a truck to use while we're on island and let it sit idle (or for use by friends) when we're not there. Possible ??

ModFreddie
08-08-2013, 07:14 AM
yes talk with Deb Babcock about that...

kob
08-08-2013, 07:20 AM
THanks, Freddie. Appreciate the quick reply :D

Gmichael
08-09-2013, 10:34 AM
No{roblem what so ever..Suggest you invest in an international driving liscensehttp://www.international-license.com/ Contact me if you have any questions. Michae Gaynor US Couseleur Warden for Bonaire

kob
08-09-2013, 11:44 AM
Thanks, Michael. Will see you in a few weeks when we're on island ... I owe ya $50 for the Wounded Warrior phone.

pat murphy
11-24-2013, 11:01 AM
we bought our truck about seven years ago. still running good. i like the bonaire system of registration. you pay for your insurance, take the receipt to the government office and show it to them, then you pay the truck registration and get your plate/sticker. i wish they'd do something like that here. since one has to have insurance to register a vehicle too many people get insurance, then get their plates, then cancel the insurance and hope they don't hit anybody. on bonaire, you're insured for the year....i don't think you can cancel.

Dee
11-24-2013, 07:28 PM
i dont know where you live but that is the way it is in Virginia!

pat murphy
11-25-2013, 10:23 AM
dee, we live in ohio. a scheme people here use is to get insurance and register their vehicles...then cancel it. i read recently that police issued over a million tickets for people driving without insurance. they get pulled over for a moving violation and then don't have the required insurance and get another ticket. doesn't seem to stop them though.

kob
11-25-2013, 10:47 AM
Pat -- I think (in theory) that you're not supposed to be able to renew plates (or maybe drivers license) without paying those fines. But who knows what happens in inner-city courts/bureaucracies.