PDA

View Full Version : Long Term Truck Rentals

Tribs
07-26-2013, 08:45 AM
Greetings! I have my 10th trip coming up and the only thing in question is the truck rental. If you have had a long term truck rental (over 30 days) with a company and they have long term rates, would you mind sharing that company's name and contact information with me? I have had several people suggest companies, but when I contact them, they do not offer long term truck rentals. I have only been able to identify one company on island that actually has long term rates and I am looking for other options.

Thanks!

PS: Feel free to privately message me if you don't want to reveal your contact publicly. cheers

wwguy
07-26-2013, 01:54 PM
Good luck, I''ll be interested to learn if you find a reputable rental company willing to do this. If I managed a rental car business I'd rather rent my vehicles at the full rate, even if I had to rent it to several different parties. Without idle rental truck inventory and/or competitive demand for long term rentals there's no incentive for me to offer a reduced rate for an extended rental contract. In other words, if I don't rent to you at a reduced rate then I'll probably rent to you at the full rate anyway. As long as all rental companies follow this model none are pressured to lower rates for business they're going to get anyway. This is pretty standard in tourism destinations.

Because of the reason mentioned above you'll probably have better chances at this if visiting during the low season when not all trucks are rented out anyway. My experience has been that rental rates are reduced during that time period anyway, so it may be tough to motivate them to reduce rates further.

For what it's worth, the major US rental companies only offer small discounts ($50 to $75) for multi-month rentals. Budget and Enterprise require 1 month minimum rental to qualify, while Hertz and Avis require 2 months or more. The discount is only valid when renting in monthly increments.

Tribs
07-26-2013, 04:03 PM
For the record, I did not intend for this thread to devolve into accusations of companies not being reputable. Thank you to those who sent me messages. I appreciate the assistance.

hallerdodd
08-05-2013, 05:44 AM
SG Auto (Stuyvesant Group) has long term rates. Their prices are in euros, so it can vary with the exchange rate. They are the same folks who manage Bonaire Exclusief rentals and are developing Courtyard Village. Many of the people who rent at Bonaire Exlusief are there for an extended stay, and I think they offer the long term rentals with them in mind.

Tribs
08-05-2013, 09:41 AM
Thank you! I don't mind exchange rates. I will send them an email.

BrianOD
11-17-2013, 12:52 AM
We rented for 2 months from Poppy back in 2010. We're trying to do the same for this Spring, but haven't heard back from them yet. I'm interested also in other talkers experiences.

Tribs
11-17-2013, 02:06 PM
I haven't booked yet. I'm still waiting to confirm dates. As soon as I have them, I will post back here and let everyone know what the results were. I tried last year to find a new company and some of the recommendations I received came back with outrageously high quotes. They were so high that I had to tell my friends that they were being taken advantage of by the company they recommended. Come to find out, the company was giving only certain people discounts and I was not one of them. Ah well...

Gmichael
11-17-2013, 03:50 PM
i get special rates from budget

ireland
11-17-2013, 05:33 PM
Poppy always has the best rates.

pat murphy
11-24-2013, 11:17 AM
you probably know that only amex covers truck insurance. visa and mastercard don't. that being said, if you rent an SUV or similar, visa and mastercard will cover the CDW insurance so you won't have to pay extra...HOWEVER....there are limits to the length of time you'll be covered. one of them will only cover you for 14 days, the other for 30 days (i forget which is which).

Tribs
12-17-2013, 01:30 PM
I just sent out the emails. I sent one to everyone mentioned in this thread, even though on some of the recommendations I have received high quotes from them in the past. We will see what comes of it. Thanks for all of the suggestions here and in messages. It is greatly appreciated.

Tribs
12-17-2013, 02:00 PM
Well this is off to a good start. Does anyone have a valid email address for Budget?

Tribs
12-26-2013, 05:30 PM
I sent out several emails, only two companies replied. Two companies had invalid email addresses. In any case, I'm happy to recommend Poppy! She responded professionally and quickly. I've only heard good things about Poppy and am very much looking forward to establishing a working relationship with Telerin! Happy Holidays everyone!