PDA

View Full Version : Mid Week Departure

BrookeW
07-11-2013, 09:14 PM
Everyone was right, 7 days was not near long enough. Next time I would like to go for 10 days but in looking at return flights, I am not finding any. The only ones I see are like 2800 and fly you to Amsterdam, then Detroit, then DFW. We will be taking the red eye from Houston there, so we either need to return to Houston or DFW. Any frequent flyers have advice?

Desertdiver
07-12-2013, 08:36 AM
Brooke, You are going to have to us DAE (not my favorite) or Insel. If you go through Curacao or Aruba you will have a good chance at returning to Houston of DFW. American and United both fly daily to both islands. Be careful there has been mixed expierences with both DAE and Insel. I have had issues with both airlines but given the choice I would use Insel to bounce over to Bonaire from Curacao. Insel also flies from Charlotte and Miami, DAE flies from Miami and Orlando now.
Best
Robert

gbf
07-12-2013, 08:36 AM
I haven't done it in a long time (up to 2 weeks now :rolleyes:) but puddle-
jumper to Aruba and delta to atl worked for us a long time ago. I think we did it sat - wed.

fraserfraser
07-12-2013, 08:37 AM
think if you want to go mid week you need to do a puddle jumper to Curacao or Aruba. Have done AA to Curacao before. it goes to miami and connect onwards from there.

wwguy
07-12-2013, 01:28 PM
You'll love a 10 day trip, especially the part where your dive gear is still wet on day 8. We did a couple of 10 day trips back in the 90's, connecting through Curacao on now-defunct ALM Antillean Airlines. For us the extra time on Bonaire was great, but the extra travel hassle not so much. That's when we started looking for strategies to cut expenses and stay on the island for multiple weeks. We've got a 7 day visit planned in September, our first "short" Bonaire trip in many years. I'm already having anxiety about leaving Bonaire... and we're not even there yet! (Luckily we've got another 3 week trip planned at Christmas, so I think we'll survive. :rolleyes:)

On a side note: I just looked at some of my old travel receipts from Bonaire days gone by. For round-trip airfare from Boise ID to Bonaire we paid $672 in Feb. 1997 and $695 in Feb. 1999. According to this online inflation calculator (http://www.westegg.com/inflation/) both are about $950 in today's dollars. United is currently quoting $760 for Feb. 2013 flights, and Delta is going for $780. That's not bad.

Gwen Kessell
07-13-2013, 08:59 PM
Fly through Miami daily!

RosAnne
07-13-2013, 09:27 PM
Flying through Curaçao and DiviDivi to Bonaire is an option any day of the week, we've done it a few times on various days.

wwguy, my first flight was in 1986 on ALM from JFK cost me a whopping 216$! Lol

Bonairetrip
08-15-2013, 02:49 AM
I think of the options in four tiers:
a) Major US airlines flying direct from a US hub. That is typically only on weekends (Delta via ATL and CO/United via IAH). So this does not work for you.
b) Minor airlines that fly from US cities to Bonaire. That is either DAE or Insel. These are somewhat problematic IMHO.
c) KLM (or similar) to Europe and then back to the US. Silly unless you want to tack on a visit to Europe (which would be fun).
d) Major US airline flying from a US hub to either CUR or AUA. AA flies MIA to CUR twice daily (most of the year?). Then you take a local airline to BON. (Divi Divi, DAE, etc.)

Personally, I would consider a two week trip...or fly AA to CUR and then Divi.

thom
08-15-2013, 03:10 PM
We fly AA to Curacao then a hop on Divi to Bonaire. It works out fine though, on the way back we must overnight in Curacao. We leave Bonaire in the morning, spend the day in Curacao, then leave early the next morning on AA.

You've got to quit diving for 24 hours before flying anyway, the hop to Curacao doesn't count because it stays low enough, so do your stop on Curacao.

oshendvr
08-15-2013, 05:10 PM
My wife and I fly Toronto-Miami-Curacao every time. We catch the 11:30 am flight with AA from mia and arrive Curacao around 2:30-3 pm. Take a break in Curacao and puddle jump with Insel no probelms. Doing again April 2014 for a 12 day trip, Wed- Sat.Price aound $700 each round trip. I have found the best time to purchase airfare around 8 weeks prior to departure.

tursiops
08-15-2013, 06:49 PM
You've got to quit diving for 24 hours before flying anyway, the hop to Curacao doesn't count because it stays low enough, so do your stop on Curacao.
The latest DAN recommendations are18 not 24h, I don't believe the hop to Curacao is actually low enough to ignore. Does it fly below 1000 ft? I don't think so...

jimw
08-15-2013, 10:52 PM
The latest DAN recommendations are18 not 24h, I don't believe the hop to Curacao is actually low enough to ignore. Does it fly below 1000 ft? I don't think so...

DiviDivi Air has flown at about 3000 ft when we have been on it between Bonaire and Curacao.

tursiops
08-16-2013, 12:06 AM
I think 2000 ft is where the usual flying after diving rules apply. Check with DAN.

ModCecil
08-16-2013, 06:42 AM
You could use the mountain dive tables if you really want to ignore the Curacao flight. I always think of divers that have to go through a mountain pass after diving, the Curacao flight is very similiar, it's very short and very low. It's only 40 miles or so between the two airports.