PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone gone through the Vegas Airport?

Desertdiver
06-24-2013, 02:47 PM
Hi all,
My wife and I are just starting to get our air planned out for this years trip (number 6). I found a rate on United from LAS to IAH to BON for $726/person. Living in SLC this means that we are going to do a 6 hour drive to the airport which we don't mind we both went to school in the Southern part of Utah and know the area. We just have never flew out of the Vegas airport.
I am just wondering of anyone's experience with the airport both positive and negative. Any tips would be nice as well. Before anyone says anything about Delta ( I know that SLC is a hub for them) the price is 1536.36/person from SLC to ATL to BON. That is more than twice what we have from Vegas and being teachers it is a big deal doing trips like to Bonaire because of what we don't get paid.
Happy days to all.

Robert:)

oshendvr
06-24-2013, 03:42 PM
When are you planning on going? HAve you checked out flying from SLC-CUR, then catching a puddle jumper to Bonaire? Are your dates a little flexible?

Desertdiver
06-24-2013, 04:38 PM
oshendver,
We are planning to do Christmas and New Years 12/21-1/4 this year on the island. The last year we went SLC-DEN-IAD-AUA-BON and were fine up until we transferred in AUA to DAE. We did get in a day late. Coming back DAE left us stranded in AUA when we got into Aruba 12 hours after we were suppose to. Won't be using DAE again. The year before we went from SLC-CLT-CUR-BON. This wasn't that bad other than the 9 hour miss hap coming back with Insel. We would use Insel again because they did save us when DAE stranded.
us. Flying out of SLC is very expensive, I am sure it is mostly because of the airport taxes. We are not that flexible for flying this year either. Wish we could.
Thanks for asking though.

Robert

Gocachn
06-24-2013, 07:12 PM
We flew the Las-IAH-BON last year on United and will be going again in September. United uses the new terminal 3 for check in,which is a lot less crowded than the main terminal so getting through security is really easy, but they still fly out of the D gates which are a quick underground train ride away.Since they use the D gates there are a lot more options for food if you need a bite before you leave. We worked it so we have a couple hour layover in Houston for a late dinner. $726 seems to be the starting point for United's flights out of Vegas, but they change everyday,last year we booked at $690 and this year they dropped to $613 for about a week and we booked.

Desertdiver
06-25-2013, 04:55 PM
Thank you Gocachn,
It looks like we are going to do the Vegas route. It seems to be holding at the same rate. Another question Gocachn, where did you leave your car in Vegas? I have found that I could leave mine at the Hampton at the airport for 5.00/ day.

Robert

Gocachn
06-25-2013, 05:09 PM
We park in the economy lot at Terminal 3. It is just across the street from the terminal and a short walk. The price is $10.00 a day.long term in the garage at the airport is $14.00 a day. I am not sure where the Hampton inn is but I assume it is on the road leading into the airport and would involve a short cab ride, that area is off the Vegas strip and is not the greatest area.

Desertdiver
06-26-2013, 09:23 AM
Gocachn,
Thanks for the input. I did have the misfortune with staying at the Hampton earlier in March. After talking with my wife it sounds like we will just use the economy parking.

Best on your trip in September. I know that I already have my count down app going for December.

Robert

Gocachn
06-26-2013, 10:09 AM
Yep, the countdown clock is running...86 days